Knife Sharpening

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Ravennoir, Feb 17, 2016.

1. mr bastard

mr bastard Member

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

3. caspian

caspian Member

ah, a BladeFucker (TM).

sebbyreddan and Fred Nurk like this.
  4. Revenge

Revenge Member

Got pics of how you've set this up?

5. caspian

caspian Member

at work atm, but I found a video of someone else doing the same thing (it's not my original idea):

at 1m24s you get a nice clear view of the recess you have to work with. I bought one of these which fits nicely between the ends of the bolts: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232017176748

it's held in place with a couple of drops of superglue on the flat surface that faces upwards when in use. I used the end of a nail punch as a handle to get the magnet where I wanted it, then put a steel washer on the blade shelf to let the magnet clamp itself while the glue cured. I'm pretty happy with it, the magnet holds the blade nice and flat to the shelf, so you can just concentrate on moving the blade across as you work the edge.

Revenge likes this.
  6. mr bastard

mr bastard Member

I think I paid about AUD$150 at a store in Smithfield NSW. T'was about 5 - 6 years ago.

7. mr bastard

mr bastard Member

The leg of lamb had no complaints.

8. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I've looked at this style of sharpener for many years and after seeing this thread I pulled the trigger on a Lansky Deluxe kit... probably should have read further and found that Australian source given the new GST laws that I've probably just run afoul of by purchasing directly. But it was a bit of a snap decision :p I look forward to receiving my new toy once it's passed through the gauntlet.

9. Billy02

Billy02 New Member

if you have no other means, you can use a big pebble type of stone and try to rub both sides of the blade on it, it will also sharpen it.

10. caspian

caspian Member

th3_hawk, maybe - apparently it depends on the retailer self-declaring, and since the ATO has precisely zero jurisdiction overseas, maybe not. https://www.vogue.com.au/fashion/ne...e/news-story/cf0d64aed6cda6734e50a80157af3ba6

Revenge - just got these in the mail this afternoon. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122991972309 I dunno what the hell system they are gauging coarseness in because their "3000" feels a lot more open than the Edge Pro 1000 grit hone, but I figure for $13 even if I only use them for hogging a bevel onto recovery blades, I am not put out too far. the backplate is fibre reinforced plastic, and the stones are only 20mm wide compared to the 25mm genuine ones, but the length is bang on so they fit fine.

currently salivating over a Naniwa chosera set, but ermagerd the price. :(

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

Loads of people reckon there isn't much point in more than the 400/1000/3000 combo I have. I have the 5000 as well - and probably should have gone higher to an 8k or something as the next step.

12. Mr B

Mr B Member

I recommend the Chefs Choice brand of electric sharpeners - razor sharp, correct angle etc.

Effortless, apart from earning the $$.

13. Revenge

Revenge Member

Looking at the photo on that listing, every stone from 800 down looks similar to the surface of my driveway...

14. caspian

caspian Member

I ended up doing a small order from sharpeningsupplies.com because I wanted the small knife adapter and a few spare edge clips, so I grabbed a 2300 and a 4000 polish stone too. I'll give them a go and look at an 8000 or 10000 if I think I need them. or maybe I'll just go to a polishing wheel.

apparently the chosuras are now discontinued, so it's old stock only, and the alternative is the Naniwa Pro range, or Shaptons.

[edit] been doing some reading and it appears that the Shapton Glass stones are the bomb. I won't land even a selected set here for less than $400 with the arse out of the Australian shekel, though. :( and $250USD for the 30K stone! https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shglstforedp.html

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  15. caspian

caspian Member

they feel smoother than the 120 factory stone, but I won't be putting them anywhere near a good piece until they have had a good test run. worst case, I'm out $13.

Revenge likes this.
  16. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I do see more and more OS retailers adding in GST/TAX at the checkout now, but I don't think this one did. I wonder what this nightmare looks like in the customs office. In any case I will find out soon enough.

On a side note, does anyone with the Lansky system have the stand? Or have your made your own? OR do you just use what's in the box?

17. caspian

caspian Member

the order I did from sharpeningsupplies.com yesterday had no additonal tax added. let's see if it makes it through Customs defending our domestic waterstone manufacturing industry. :rolleyes:

I have a Gatco which is very similar to the Lansky, and I did make a bench mount which I tossed out only a couple of weeks ago. :upset: similar sort of concept to this, but 90° rotated so the clamp held the blade horizontally. it was just a couple of bits of timber with some 3mm aluminium strip screwed between them, it gave the perfect "pocket" for the clamp ear to slip into. https://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_9107.jpg

[edit] this is not my clamp, just something I found on google images to illustrate the idea.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  18. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

After 10 years of fucking around without a stand, and looking everywhere to avoid paying exorbitant prices at King of Knives, I finally got one. I'd say the clamp one is better than the freestanding one I've got, but it does make knife sharpening much easier. I couldn't find the clamp one anywhere, so ended up settling.

If you have a choice, buy the clamp stand. The freestanding one isn't perfect, but still much easier than just holding it in your hand.

19. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I figured the stand would make things a little easier and was leaning towards the clamp, although the stand would be ok if you bolt it down to a large enough piece of timber as a wider base. I do wonder if I could whip something up with a long threaded bolt and a nut to mimic the OEM stand, maybe dremel off the thread or maybe just tape it up?

For reference this one is $35 shipped, although I'd look at what else I could pick up at the same time... probably some extra oil or something.
    https://www.knifesupplies.com.au/lansky-sharpener-super-c-clamp-for-knife-sharpenin

20. caspian

caspian Member

for $35 that looks like a good buy, nice and solid, not worth building something.

got my 2300 and 4000 grit stones yesterday afternoon, dayum the latter is smooth. now I just need to find some peace and quiet time to sit down and give them a run.