Knife Sharpening

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Ravennoir, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Revenge

Revenge Member

The second best part of sharpening your knives is having nice sharp knives...
    The best part is being left the fuck alone, in peace and solitude to sharpen them...

sebbyreddan likes this.
  2. caspian

caspian Member

I might take tomorrow off work for some peace and quiet. the excuse "the voices told me to stay home and sharpen my knives today" should suffice for HR, yeah?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  3. Revenge

Revenge Member

Gold... love it!

4. miicah

miicah Member

I think I need a harsher stone for some of my knives. I have a 1000/5000 block but I think the issue is that I can't get the initial edge right, so no amount of 5k/diamond stone gets me to cutting onion skin.

5. NSanity

NSanity Member

Strop.

You need to strop.

6. Revenge

Revenge Member

This is something I haven't been doing, don't have the gear for but I am keen to learn the benefits of... does it make that much difference?

7. Jazper

Jazper Member

I've been hand sharpening razors and knives for the last 12 years or so. I usually go softly softly with higher grit than I need to and really take my time to perfect the edge.Sometimes I get fed up and put the thing away for a few days before getting back to it. I've got some naturals I really enjoy using (a nakayama and a begian coticule) - my favourite is my belgian blue though, cheapest stone of the lot and soft as anything, but the feel you get using it s incredible. I strop on diamond pasted leather strops.

If I'm feeling lazy or need to rebevel an edge, I use my spyderco sharpmaker. I have a 240 grit waterstone coming for that purpose.. but to date it's been the sharpmaker with diamond rods.

If anyone would like some tips with sharpening - let me know.

miicah likes this.
  8. NSanity

NSanity Member

Surprisingly so.

9. caspian

caspian Member

how long of a strop are you running, and are you using any compound or paste on it? I have a smallish strop but it's too short to really use with kitchen sized knives.

can I just make one out of a belt blank?

10. sebbyreddan

sebbyreddan Member

I recently made a couple of balsa strops which I load with THK Diamond paste, Loving the results you get from these.

I re-profile (when needed) the edge with a 140 Atoma then move up to a 240/800 Nirey water-stone then onto a Messermeister 1000/3000 water-stone.

After this I strop on the balsa strop loaded with 5 micron then 2.5 micron Diamond paste.

Then .25 Micron Diamond paste on a Kangaroo leather strop.

I end up with a mirror finish edge that shaves and sometimes I get it where it will whittle hair. (still perfecting the technique though)

Strops are 90mm wide x 19mm thick Tasmanian oak DAR from bunnings cut into 30 cm lengths, with contact adhesive spray to glue the balsa strips (1.5mm Thick x 100mm from bunnings) to the Tas oak Block. Kangaroo leather is also glued on with contact adhesive.

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Some pics would be awesome......

sebbyreddan likes this.
  12. SyN

SyN Member

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Do you know if you click the 'Media' icon and paste that in it will embed the video into your post.....woops I see it is their channel my bad.

14. sebbyreddan

sebbyreddan Member

A mate just gave me one of his beat up pig stickers to 'touch up' over the week end, so I will try and grab some before and after photos of the knife and some photos of the strops, which I will try to post this weekend.

Edit:
    Got a chance to have a quick go at my mates knife last night.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After: Not finished yet, I need to spend more time fixing the recurve on the heel of the knife and finish up the polish to remove the scratch marks. But the edge has come up pretty well for a beater.
    [​IMG]

Kangaroo Leather Strop on my ghetto Bunnings sink bridge and Balsa Strop in desperate need of replacement at the back of the bench.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 8:35 AM
    Bold Eagle likes this.