1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Kodi users - HDHomeRun DVR Kickstarter

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by The Brad, May 1, 2015.

1. The Brad

The Brad Member

Hey all,

SiliconDust, maker of the popular HDHomeRun tuners, has a Kickstarter running and if you're running Kodi, it looks like it could be the holy grail...

The Kickstarter itself is already funded but they have a stretch goal to support Kodi if they hit $150k funding.

There is a video here:

Link to the Kickstarter:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-dvr-the-dvr-re-imagined

If you use Kodi and want awesome flexible DVR functionality with proper support forAustralia you should consider backing it.

Things I should disclose:

• The DVR will only work with current generation HDHomeRun hardware, not the previous generation (for technical reasons)
    • I am the wholesale distributor of the HDHomeRun, although I am not benefiting from the Kickstarter, I will benefit from the DVR being available by people wanting to buy the hardware
    • When the DVR is launched it will be a $30 USD yearly cost, direct to SiliconDust

2. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

I'm cross-posting this to death but hopefully people are interested:

Good news everyone!

President and CEO of SiliconDust, Theodore Head, is joining Corsair Solutions for our weekly webcast, the topic this week being the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Connect, and the associated Kickstarter.

Not sure how many of you can jump on live but the video will be available as VOD after the fact. We may be able to take questions during the interview, but that is to be confirmed. Starts at 11am today.

For those that are interested please check it out!
    https://livestream.com/CorsairSolutions/LiveWebcastSeries

3. Lincoln_blitz

Lincoln_blitz Member

Can I ask how this differs from the CONNECT Gen4 due in June?

Aside from the standalone DVR software, can't the Connect Gen4 record to a remote location through a KODI front-end or does it only record to the local client?

Just wanting to clarify before a pre-order the new Connect or the DVR version.

For background:

I am moving away from a standalone HTPC running MCE to a Synology NAS (w/ HDHomerun or tvheadend & separate tuner in NAS) which will feed two KODI installs (NUC (lounge) and a Minix - doesn't need DTV (bedroom)).

4. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

Hardware is no different, DVR just requires a HDHomeRun Connect to work.

You can use Kodi through one of the existing backends (and configure manually...) or the HDHomeRun LiveTV add on which auto-configures, but has no DVR functionality.

This is just to bring a more fully-featured DVR with direct Australian EPG support to Kodi and make it idiot proof, like WMC is.

Kodi though has much wider device compatibility so the options are greater as far as front ends go.

5. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

6. Kow

Kow Member

Currently running kodi / mythtv combo. IT seems to be working fine for me. This looks interesting though!

7. yoink

yoink Member

How does the guide work? Does it just grab it over the air like MCE, or is there some sort of subscription service?

8. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

The guide data comes over the internet, its part of the $30 USD/year subscription.

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Why is an established company using Kickstarter to raise funds?

10. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

Why not? This is a product that is totally outside their regular, historical offering.

Pebble just did it again with the Pebble Time.

Anyway they have smashed the funding target and look to get at least the lowest stretch goal so plenty of people have supported it.

OMG, Ted Head posted my webcast on Engadget in an article about the Kickstarter, now I'm embarrassed!

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/07/hdhomerun-dvr-kickstarter/

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Asking potential customers to assume all the risk is acceptable for a startup. But once you have your own capital, then asking your existing customers to fork out more money, for features that you think will turn a profit, just rubs me the wrong way.

I've got a HDHomerun and am a big fan of it. But an established company needing/wanting to crowd fund product extensions makes me question the viability of the company on a whole, and be less likely to buy their products in the future.

This isn't restricted to SiliconDust, and is generally about all established companies that try to crowd fund for things that they should really be developing off their own back.

12. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

I'll be pragmatic about it.

Providing SiliconDust deliver on what they are promising, nobody is going to be out. People pay their $30 for the DVR and they get it early.

If SiliconDust went out to VC for the funding, then it would turn up when it turns up and it by nature has to cost more.

I'm OK for a company with a lot of grass roots support going this way. I was an original Pebble backer and I backed the Pebble Time.

I know these companies can deliver a quality product and I'm happy to back them, I think there's quite some people well out of their depth and blowing other people's money on Kickstarter.

Anyway the cool thing about the Kickstarter is nobody's got a gun to your head, if you want to, you can back it. If not no harm done.

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

If it was an 'advanced pre-order' I'd be in like flynn, but using Kickstarter and promising the same, makes me think "Why didn't they just do an advanced pre-order, why kickstart unless they think there is a chance that they can't deliver?"

14. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

In the US you legally cannot take money for a product more than 30 days out I believe.

Also I suspect if they did an advanced pre-order, we wouldn't be talking about it, and linking to tech blogs, but because its on Kickstarter, we are...

15. BGH

BGH Member

Any reason they chose this instead of the OTA guide? I know OTA EPG data isn't fantastic but I think a lot of people would wear that as opposed to paying a subscription.

16. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

It is the norm in the US and Europe, so they chose to do this so the will all the be same, we're almost the only place that does EIT data.

The data, though delivered via the internet, will be the same as the OTA data as the networks are the source.

17. yoink

yoink Member

Yeah I'm not keen for paying every year, no matter how small the cost - the risk is that the service goes away... $30 is quite reasonable though.

18. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

Nice thing about SiliconDust, its open-source. If the company blew up someone can pick up the pieces.

Still interesting to see if anybody picks up the LiveTV code and makes it work with other tuners. I suspect there's a technical reason it may not work but I am sure somebody is looking at it.

19. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I've never seen this stuff before, am I right from my quick look that this is a (far more modern) version of the Elgato Netsteam range of products?

I've got a netstream sitting in the back room, near the only antenna in this rental, which streams video to the iOS devices (in HD too :)) and the laptops in the house.

PVR functionality is a god awful work around where a windows VM runs (on my NAS) with the sole purpose of picking up and recording (or live re-broadcasting) of video to my KODI front end (which runs on a Mac Mini).

This dirty dirty hack is because I don't have a TV antenna where the main TV is so this provides the next best thing. I would seriously consider replacing it all if I could make it work more reliably and without the Windows VM requirement I currently have.

Mind you, they don't currently support iOS which is a downside...

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  20. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

They have been around forever, where have you been hiding :)

IMO they are superior to the Netstream, so much so that Elgato eventually bundled them and stopped selling the Netstream in the US.

This DVR will definitely be much nicer than what you're doing now, the Kickstarter needs to get over $150k and you would need to buy one of the HDHomeRun COnnect units...

Get any app that supports DLNA and you can do LiveTV that way without the DVR.