1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Kodi users - HDHomeRun DVR Kickstarter

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by The Brad, May 1, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

Interestingly the Kickstarter is very nearly at $200k and only needs another $50k for them to do Plex.

If you use Plex and want Live TV, now is the time to jump on I think!

2. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

WOW, SiliconDust have SMASHED this Kickstarter, the customers have spoken, they want this SiliconDust DVR to work in Plex, and the stretch goal of $250k has been hit with 3 days to go!

Awesome news.

3. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

Hey peeps, DVR has been opened up to non-Kickstarter support now for early access:

http://www.silicondust.com/shop/

Fair to say it is still at quite an early stage.

4. gmphoto

gmphoto Member

Looks legit.

5. samo

samo Member

silicon dust being the manufacturer of the HomeRun you would think so...

6. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

Definitely legit, but a long way from a finished product...

7. gmphoto

gmphoto Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-dvr-the-dvr-re-imagined/comments

The comments are not glowing, mostly about the lack of communication from Silicondust.

Everyone, me included, would love to see this succeed. The dvr options, especially on Mac, are limited. EyeTV works but is very frustrating in some ways, MythTV is great once installed but very confusing for the novice.

If Silicondust can make this succeed they should be able to leverage many mor unit sales.

8. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

I have no doubt they will make it but the biggest issue for me is just how long it will take to do all the things the committed to do.

No matter how much money you pull in from Kickstarter you can't just throw money at software development.

9. yoink

yoink Member

Yeah this is key: it will take time to get it right, and no matter how you look at it, it is better to get it right, than release a half-finished product that doesn't deliver.

I've stopped supporting projects of this nature on Kickstarter - they are pretty much always let down by the software. Here is a (current) example of what not to do:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...mous-intelligent-swarming-nano-drone/comments

They've released their drone more-or-less on time-ish, but with all the key software features missing, so people have now gotten what amounts to a drone with decent hardware, but crappy software, and the end user experience is terrible - a $60 drone with phone-wifi connectivity achieves a better experience, and most of these people have paid in the vicinity of $300 or so. Worse yet, they had to pull the app from the app store, because people were experiencing issues that cause the drones to crash, and get damaged.

I hope SiliconDust keep going, and make it a good experience - though they are burning through good-will really fast for every day they are over the estimated release day.

Note: Call me cynical, but the way I see it: if you support something on KS that involves software, you are simply paying for the privilege of doing beta-testing for them - nothing more, nothing less.

10. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

Unfortunately you are right. The time between releases and lack of communication is hurting them.

I think this is totally true. By supporting the SiliconDust Kickstarter, most people are saying "I like SiliconDust products, and I ultimately want this DVR, so here's my money"

For me they just have to figure out the stuff that makes the most people happy and work on that, and just hit milestones over time.

Hopefully all the while they are using the Kickstarter fund to skill up and bring new engineers in who can continue the quality we know SiliconDust for.

Just due to my moving around a lot, I haven't been able to do any DVR testing, but I will be able to over xmas.

11. BGH

BGH Member

Would there be any advantage to this vs using one of the free DVR backends + Kodi PVR frontend?

At the moment I am using Argus TV on a Windows server (with my HD Homerun) and using an nVidia Shield running Kodi as the PVR frontend and it works pretty well (well as good as Kodi PVR can work I guess).

12. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

Long term there should be lots of benefits but we need time to see those things developed.

Obviously Argus takes a fair bit of setup, the SiliconDust DVR is pretty much 1-click.

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

$250K to wrap argus in a user friendly package seems a bit steep.

I'm a big fan of my HDHomeRun, but I don't like established companies asking consumers to accept all development risks via crowd-funding. I like it even less when it's poorly managed. But caveat emptor I guess.

14. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

That is a ridiculous over-simplification - the big money went for Plex integration, which lets face it, will be a holy grail should it be what everyone wants it to be.

If it is so easy, you should go make something and undercut them - plenty of open source products you could start from.

It just isn't that easy though.

15. yoink

yoink Member

Well, my old tuners have either died, or their drivers simply don't work in Windows 10, so I've just ordered the hdhomerun dvb-t (v4).

How is the DVR software coming?

16. yoink

yoink Member

17. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

It is coming along but I think it is only fair to say people would like it to be coming along much more quickly.

18. BGH

BGH Member

What backend are you planning on running the HD Homerun PVR software on? NAS? HTPC?

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there is already plenty of software out there that can perform the same functionality using a HD Homerun tuner. I am currently running a DVBLink PVR server on my Synology NAS connected to a HD Homerun tuner.

19. yoink

yoink Member

Windows 10 - I've actually gotten MCE running, so I might try that first.

20. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member