Kogan 27" IPS 2560x1440 QHD Monitor

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Snowblindnz, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Snowblindnz

Snowblindnz Member

Hi Guys,

Anyone pre-ordered one of these?

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/27-wqhd-led-ips-monitor/

The Specs say it uses the following panel: LG LM270WQ1-SDA2 IPS back-lit LED

Comes with Display port + HDMI, separate power brick.

I emailed them asking what kind of dead pixel warranty they come with, but have not received a reply yet.

$469 inc postage and 1 year warranty (edit: warning - 3 stuck pixels required before they will fix under warranty)
    $549 inc postage and 5 year warranty (edit: warning - 3 stuck pixels required before they will fix under warranty)

Seems that when comparing the Dell 27" (when on $549 special) vs this Kogan 27", it is a toss up between an adjustable stand + USB ports vs 5 year warranty.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Yeah saw these announced a few months ago now. Seem to be ok, unsure of what sort of warranty will be offered, pretty sure it won't be up to the standard of the Dell one (Next day onsite, zero dead pixel).

Look to be a decent panel for a cheap price, I seem to recall a negative being a slow response time? Can't remember where I read that, review sites should be getting some review units soon hopefully.

3. TaroT

TaroT Member

yeah...

Response Time12ms

but no....

give that a miss

4. Linkin

Linkin Member

So you only buy 2ms screens? Read up on how response times actually work.

If 12ms is the real world latency then it is quite good.

5. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Yeah, if you want a low response time on a 1440p screen, the Catleap is the best option, funnily enough. Thanks to them cutting everything non-essential out of it, there are minimal components to add to the latency.

Then again, if you're considering paying for a 5 year Warranty (not that there's anything wrong with that), I can't imagine you'd be comfortable buying a Catleap from Korea.

6. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

5 years for an extra $100? A no brainer if you ask me. I might even pick one of these up if the reviews are half decent... :thumbup:

7. newlife

newlife Member

8. |einad

|einad Member

If only they had the 120hz OC capable models :leet:
    Id order one!

9. OP
    OP
    Snowblindnz

Snowblindnz Member

Would the 12ms affect video playback or just gaming?

10. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Nowhere near enough input lag to affect video playback, don't worry. Although most of the benefit of the high res is gone on videos unless you have 1440p or 4K for whatever reason. Movies do look great on the IPS screen, though.

11. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

In 5 years, you could get a better monitor for that $100...

12. 2SHY

2SHY Member

27" Dell U2713 on special sounds like a better deal.

13. FiShy

FiShy Member

I still have a 7 year old Dell 24inch on my desk, yes its be religated to the 3rd monitor but it still works fine.

14. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Yeah but it's a Dell monitor... Of the 200+ Dell monitors that have been through the office in the last 6 years, I've only had to RMA 1 and a new one arrived the next day... How do you think a Kogan warranty will work?... I dont think its worth the extra $100.

15. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

I was actually thinking of Dell extended warranties, usually end up in getting a new laptop/monitor after 4 - 5 years when the old one carks it. With Kogan though, unsure of how their warranty would work. Still looks like an interesting monitor, we'll wait and see how the reviews fair.

16. Gnatty

Gnatty Member

I'd still go for the Dell (in fact, I did), majority of issues will come up in the first three years anyway, and I trust Dells' warranty more than Kogans'

17. jcorney

jcorney Member

same, bought as part of the massive group buy, the difference is it is still my primary monitor when not on the laptop

18. Cyb3r

Cyb3r Member

Can't believe the 2405fpw is 7 years old!!

Perhaps time for an update... I bought it as part of a group buy on these forums IIRC :) Great monitor, hasn't missed a beat.

19. OP
    OP
    Snowblindnz

Snowblindnz Member

Well, finally got an email reply. Zero pixels in the first 7 days, then after that it takes 3 stuck pixels before they will fix it under warranty.

Steering clear of this one. Now its a choice between a Samsung PLS or Dell IPS

20. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

yeah im kinda getting over triple monitor u2311h, might move on to single 30" but i just can't afford forking out $1k for a monitor.

this sounds good and the res is pretty amazing, but i dunno, just having a computer with all good parts and see KOGAN would kill me