Kogan 27" IPS 2560x1440 QHD Monitor

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Snowblindnz, Dec 12, 2012.

1. leithals

leithals Member

OK so... I use the Nvidia GeForce Experience App to give me optimal settings for my games. It's pretty much as high as you can go on my system.

BF3 2560x1440 I'm getting 50-60 fps with pretty much Ultra settings (4xAA). That increases to 60-70 fps with 2xAA. That uses over 2 GB Vram.
    BF3 1920x1080 I get 80-100 fps with 2xAA.

Farcry3 2560x1440 I'm getting 50-60 fps and it uses 1600-1700 MB Vram.
    Farcry3 1920x1080 I get 100 fps and it uses about 1300 MB Vram.

Obviously the above are averages from what I saw tonight. Playing at 1920x1080 wasn't as bad as I thought it would be on this monitor, but everything is much better at the full resolution.

Hope that helps you guys out. IMO at 27" or above you need better than 1080 resolution, but it definitely going to depend on your rig.

2. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

Thanks very much for testing that out for me!

When you say that 1080P on the monitor isn't as bad as you thought it would be, can you explain what you mean? As in is it noticably more pixelated or blurry, did you get input lag etc.

Also, how do you find the glossy screen? Does reflection bother you etc. Im used to a matte screen.

Thanks again!

3. leithals

leithals Member

Glossy screen doesn't worry me as I play in a darkened room. And when in normal use I don't notice it. I imagine there is a reflection, I just choose to ignore it. It looks so f'ing great in the dark playing BF3 who cares :)

1080 is bigger, everything seems closer, not as sharp as well. Definitely not bad at all, but I won't be choosing to play in 1080 as long as I can play in 1440. In saying that, when and if a game comes along which I can't play at 1440 and for some reason I can't upgrade my GPU, then I would happily play at the lower resolution.

I think the biggest thing to note here was the amount of Vram that was being used. At the settings I was playing BF3 you need a 3 or 4 GB GPU to handle it.

Hope that helps.

4. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

Thanks mate. I think the glossy screen could be the deal breaker for me, but I'll have a think about it.

Thanks for all your testing. Just on the 1080P on this monitor, would you say it was equal or worse to playing 1080p on any other monitors you've used, including native 1080p monitors.

I think I'll be fine at 1440p but it would be nice to have options.

Cheers!

5. leithals

leithals Member

Worse than 24", better than 32", but I would expect that due to pixel spread. It's common sense. I also believe that people playing on bigger screens must sit farther away from them?

6. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

Thanks mate.

I'm a bit turned off by the glossy screen I think. Now trying to decide whether to pick up a refurb Dell U2713HM for $400 or grab one of the Korean monitors with a matte screen.

Thanks for all your help and testing!

7. yezzum

yezzum Member

Just noticed in a Kogan email that they've got these on sale at the moment for $389 if anyone's looking to pick one up.

8. High_Point

High_Point Member

I have a laptop with hdmi and display port capabilities and I've been thinking of purchasing this screen but I'm not sure if I'll be able to take advantage of the full resolution.
    Going by what I've read i wouldn't be able to get the full resolution via hdmi but i should be able to via display port?

9. pinchies

pinchies Member

10. High_Point

High_Point Member

Alright cool, looks like the price has gone back up to $439 again though. I'll have to mull over this some more.

11. Omarko

Omarko Member

I'm seriously considering buying three of these to upgrade my Eyefinity setup.

The decision is mainly based on couple facts -

1. It has a DP port meaning I don't need active DVI adapters like I would with the usual ebay Korean screens which only have DVI-D in the base models. With DP ports, the Korean screens cost same as the Kogan, around $420 ish.

2. Warranty, if something goes wrong, I can get it fixed locally vs shipping 3 screens back to Korea which would be quite costly (they offer DOA though with free return shipping).

Can owners of this screen provide more thoughts and experiences since they bought their screens ? Also, few good quality photos would be nice. Whats the gaming like ? any ghosting at all? Specs are saying 12ms response time which seems bit high by todays standards and vs what the ebay Korean screens offer (6ms).

PS: this screen LINK is the only other one I am pondering about as I really like the look , especialy the stand is bit more stylish, the logo is also not so pronounced, its quite light vs other screens and also has low power consumption - but still worried about warranty. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  12. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I think I'll get one or 2 of these when my tax refund comes.

Work only supplies 19" Dells because anything else is not "SOE" and they are too fucking dumb to figure out which cables might be needed for non-standard monitors. /rant

13. OP
    OP
    Snowblindnz

Snowblindnz Member

I came so close to buying the Kogan over the korean variants for the same reasons, but ended up getting a Samsung SA850 series for $550. Reasons I picked it over the Kogan:

- Kogan warranty is not pixel perfect - 3 pixels before they will replace it
    - Stand is unadjustable on the Kogan
    - No USB hub

When adding a 3 year warranty + shipping to the Kogan, the price is $545, which puts it at the same price point as the Samsung (even the dell 27's are $559 at the moment (link)) which comes with the 3yr warranty as standard.

It just really didn't seem like the Kogan was that much better value in the end..

14. Omarko

Omarko Member

thank you !

the Dell offer is amazing, I am going to grab that right away !

cant believe I missed that !!!

thanks again

EDIT: btw where did you find the Samsung screen for $550 ? all shops sell it for at least $600. Thanks.

EDIT2: just ordered three of the Dell screens at the 30% off price ! amazing!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  15. wOOt

wOOt (Banned or Deleted)

Can you please link the deal for the dell screens.

16. HeXa

HeXa Member

look up two posts

not great gaming monitors but the input lag and response time should still be much better than those 2408s :p

17. Omarko

Omarko Member

yeah thats fine with me, I am sure the screens are more than enough for a casual gamer like me. At the price I paid, the type of panel & resolution & features are great and I am sure more than enough for me.

and if the performance is better than my current screens, that's fantastic!

18. OP
    OP
    Snowblindnz

Snowblindnz Member

I got it from http://ijk.com.au. It was one of the cheapest I could find via static ice at the time.

It does look like they have gone up to the $600 mark now though. I remember when ordering that I got the first version, just when they were releasing a newer version. The newer version had a few improvements, one being USB 2.0 to 3.0 hub, plus some other stuff. So that might be why the price has gone up. A bit foggy on the details sorry.

Pretty jealous that you are getting 3 of the dells! That is going to be a MEAN setup. I use a u2413 at work, the stand is very nice on those monitors :)

19. Sledge

Sledge Member

If only Dell would start doing 120hz...

20. wOOt

wOOt (Banned or Deleted)

Anyone receive their dell yet?

Looks like won't receive mine till 8th of aug.

After changing from 2nd Aug.