Kogan Mobile

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Havabigjuan, Dec 12, 2012.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

OK if you can put up with Optus Network / put no value on Network quality

2. bleAf!

bleAf! (Taking a Break)

Give them a call if you can. I just did and managed to get it done. I had time so I decided to wait on the line instead of getting a call back from Telstra to confirm my port had been done. The entire call took 30 minutes all up.

I had also called Telstra on Monday arvo and asked to be ported to their Telstra prepaid. My Telstra prepaid sim was already activated so I was told it would take 24+ hours. My number still hadn't been ported by today so I decided to give them a call to see if they could tell me the progress of my port. I was surprised the lady I spoke to got her supervisor and had it all sorted for me.

3. yanman

yanman Member

My wife is on Woolies at the moment, doesn't seem to have any issues. Though she's suspicious that when her call credit ran out suddenly the data network was poor...

4. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

So when exactly is this supposed to conk out?

5. mathiex

mathiex Member

cheers mate, i emailed my "rep" ? said it was still processing and to chillax.

6. dukkie

dukkie Member

Not sure if you guys have seen the new announcement which was released earlier today.

Kogan Mobile.

What I don't understand is how they can actually state that the only way you can receive a refund on the remaining credit on your account will only be fulfilled once you have received the second SMS from Telstra, and THEN port your service out.

The biggest issue at hand here is, everyone would of received the initial email on the 19th stating the big announcement, followed by the text yesterday (20th) from the Telstra wholesaler. Once I had received both of these announcements I had chosen to port my number across, as I'm guessing many others would of also.

If they didn't want anyone to port out and still be eligible for a refund then it should of been stated initially, not the following day after the Telstra text.

7. mathiex

mathiex Member

original email says " at the time their service is terminated by telstra" and in red font.

8. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

So to answer my own question, it would seem that the answer is 7 days after the second Telstra SMS as per the second email link that Kogan sent out.

9. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

10. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

I'm gonna be the idiot to hang on till I get the flick.

Call me paranoid but I recon this is just a rouse to rattle off the leeches.

I'm gonna be an idiot and say that there is going to be a last minute reprieve. ;) I hope I'm not wrong. I don't have anything to lose, this was just a secondary number for me.

11. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

It looks like Kogan is very unhappy with Telstra and is accusing them of misleading the public. This is a pretty shitty situation for Kogan. Over the last 8 months they've built up a 120,000 strong customer base. Now their wholesaler has gone bankrupt and they can't reach an arrangement with Telstra, the network operator. Telstra denies any responsibility and claims that they are 'prepared to enter into direct arrangements with both Kogan and Medion'.

Kogan is disputing this:

http://delimiter.com.au/2013/08/22/...ters-open-war-with-telstra-on-disconnections/
    On the surface of it, it seems like Telstra is pretty keen to cut off all those customers and cast Kogan adrift for their own commercial gain.

12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I don't know why anyone's surprised Telstra and Kogan aren't doing a deal.

They have had Telstra off-side for some time. and continue to poison the relationship further with each press release.

Good luck with that one

Not sure I follow this.. If Telstra did do a deal, those customers would still be benefiting telstra. Cutting them all off does not guarantee they will head to telstra/boost at all. There's plenty of other providers out there on competing networks.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  13. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

If doing a deal with Kogan benefits Telstra and cutting Kogan off doesn't benefit them, why cut them off? Why not do a deal then? I suspect the reason is because Telstra believes that most customers will end up on Boost (or Aldi... or Telstra prepaid).

Yes and no. There *are* two other networks (Optus and Vodafone). But they both run 3G 900 MHz. This renders a significant proportion of either network largely incompatible with many Kogan-sold phones.

14. Stevros

Stevros Member

Yep. I went with kogan so i could be on the telstra network. Now im going to go with boost or Aldi which are still on that network, so telstra still have my business. Obviously they feel they will gain something from not cutting a deal with kogan.

15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Because like I said.. there relationship is far from healthy..

Unless of course Kogan himself Tweeting "F.... Telstra" on Monday was his way of being friendly.

Anyway, that argument would apply to Aldi also wouldn't it..

If you're refering to their own branded smartphone?. I think you'll find it had more trouble with Kogan's own service than with Optus. Despite the specs, it was proven to not even work on 850Mhz!

A failure Kogan denied continually. So yeah, such people would actually be better off moving anyway.

16. Chundermuffin

Chundermuffin Member

I have a Kogan sim in my iPad, which has worked really well, but I've just run through my data before the inevitable light's out. Today I got an email advertising an offer for Kogan customers to move to Yatango, an Optus-based MVNO. Anyone heard anything about these guys?

17. decryption

decryption Member

Thread about em on Whirlpool:

I like their pricing model (build your own plan), so whether it's worth it not depends on your usage. Looks great if you pop the SIM into a spare phone or have very light usage. Also good if you make very little calls & SMS but just need a decent level of data.

Main downside for me is that it's on Optus, which happens to suck in a few places I visit often :(

18. Chundermuffin

Chundermuffin Member

Mmm, I had a bit of a read about them since, I only need data as it's for my iPad but they're offering a free month with 6GB and some call/text credit for Kogan refugees so I'll give them a go. Optus coverage isn't too bad where I am but if this is no good I'll give Aldi a try. Thanks for the reply.

19. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

It would. Either they reached a better agreement or they are taking a loss.

Anyway, apparently Telstra offered Kogan wholesale access at an astronomical $75-95/month which would have been onsold for ~$100. Given that Telstra sell their own service (Boost) for $40/month, what they are offering isn't even remotely competitive. Kogan Mobile has no choice other than to fold. It's pretty clear what Telstra is trying to do here.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/08/exclusive-inside-the-take-down-of-kogan-mobile/

20. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Got the 7 day warning from Telstra... Here's hoping the AldiMobile I ordered last week gets here this week... :Paranoid: