[PROJECT] Komm's Scalextric set up! Scenery update - Post #85 Page 6

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Kommandant33, Apr 3, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

WE HAVE A NEW CHAMPION!
    I received a package today...

[​IMG]

and have spent the last few hours fitting the digital chips, tuning and then test driving each car.. and in the 5 minute qualify, the Lola Aston Martin has beaten the previous track record - pulling off a 4.281 (previous record - 4.285)

It's amazing how much time gets lost out in the garage...

[​IMG]

2. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Wow havent these changed over the years, looks like fun :thumbup:

At 4 seconds a lap maybe you need a bigger track ... much bigger ...

:D

3. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

This is exactly what I was thinking...

So this is the track as it is at the moment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which is fun, but is only utilizing very free-flowing corners (except for the 2 hairpins), which doesn't really test the drivers skills all too much. The other thing is that when the grid is set, the cars are pretty much bumper-to-bumper, which means row 2 need to wait for row 1 to go.

So I decided to play around with some of the tighter turns that are available, and came back with this:

[​IMG]

You can see the main modifications being the extra turns after the first hairpin - but more subtly, it's a tighter chicane out of the first corner - which will lead to some pretty fun games of chicken off the start line. I have also managed to add some more space between the grids which will really help with congestion with 4 or more cars. And a longer pit lane.

I believe it adds about 1.4m to the overall length, but it will add a fair bit of time to the laps with the tighter turns.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  4. disco frank

disco frank Member

I think you need to drop the table level, and get a few more levels/storys in in :)

5. emett

emett Member

Cool but no banked corners?

6. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

:D line of sight is important - as well as being able to get to a de-slotted car with ease.
    Nope - I did consider getting a set of banked corners for after the main straight - but there isn't any skill to holding down the throttle 100% :pirate:

I have worked on banking the corners slightly, but only a touch :thumbup:

7. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Inspired by this thread I went and did a little shopping In Sydney.

[​IMG]

So I finally have some nice track for the cars I've already had for a while. (well not the green mclaren P1, that's brand new)

[​IMG]

I probably should stop hijacking komms thread and make my own, but I'll get there.

But I do want to pick up a few tips, and have a few laps sometime really soon :D

8. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

AWESOME!

Got some nice kit, there!

One Sunday in the coming weeks you should pop down for a few laps - feel free to bring some cars to break in :Pirate:

9. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. Let me know when there's some racing action :thumbup:

Got more coming in the mail from the UK ;)

I'd like to break in some mclarens properly. I found out a couple of the cars in the sets don't have magnets..

I wondered why I was pushing it on the corners, getting sideways and just keeping up. :confused:
    1 mclaren, (fortunately not the gulf one which I love) 1 Porsche and the lambo simply don't have magnets in them.

I've also adopted a rule: Since I'm spending all the time and money, anyone who breaks a bit off a car has to pay me $10 :lol: I got enough to buy another digital chip in about 20 minutes ahaha.

10. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

That's weird - normally Scalextric models all come with their magnets installed...

A good tip is to get some super fine grit sand paper, lay it on the track and burn in the rear tyres for about 5 seconds, and then go over them with some sticky tape - the grip will be so much better! Also, go over the track with a microfibre cloth every now and then :thumbup:

Spoilers and mirrors are fair game... if you wanted models to sit on the shelf, you would buy models to sit on the shelf :D

11. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Yeah. I was confused as well about the missing magnets, but it's not too big a deal. I'm a better driver than my brothers anyway :lol:

For me, part of the appeal of slot cars, aside from being a cheap hobby (if you've ever been into R/C anything or model trains, it's REALLY cheap)
    is they're just model cars, but not useless ornaments.
    So I can have my nice cars sit on a shelf.. and when the mood strikes, I can actually have fun with them.

But with all the cars I've bought, They just look too nice to be trashed by people for nothing..

When I set it all up and make a Thread, I'll take a few closeups of some of them:D

12. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Hey all, just a quick update -

So I made the changes as per post #63, and although it worked on paper, there were a few issues with it in reality.
    During testing I noticed that the cars weren't changing lanes on some of the crossover. But after some trouble shooting, I realized that the lane changers were now straight after sharp turns, so the LED under the car and the sensor on the track didn't line up, and the actuator wouldn't go off.

So after moving a few things around, I added 1/2 and 1/4 straights before the lane change straights and it seemed to fix it up.

[​IMG]

I think I am pretty happy with the current form, it's now about an average of 6 seconds to get around, with some tighter turns and PLENTY of drifting.

I will hopefully spend the next couple of weekends moulding and cutting out the foam to make it a bit more permanent and solid.

And just as a side note, I got another few slot.it cars - second hand, hardly used.

Another McLaren F1 (this will be my 4th :D)

[​IMG]

Audi R8c - cool little car, nice and quick and handles well.

[​IMG]

Audi R18 (same style as my other one, but this is a RWD not AWD)

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for a low-profile HD camera that isn't too expensive? I am looking at knocking up a camera car :thumbup:

14. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I noticed the same thing in my last temp setup, I'd come around the last corner sideways and could never get into my pit lane cause the changer was right after the corner. and at least your trouble shooting is going well!
    I'm having issues with my corner lane changers, and it's not so easy to solve:lol:

as for a car camera, I've seen a really clear and smooth one fitted in one of my brothers friends trains. I'll ask them about it when I see them again.

I do know it was not cheap.

15. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

we need some pics of your set ups!

Thanks re: the camera...

16. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I'll be sure to bring some pics with me when I come around for a drive.:thumbup:

But here's a couple:

One of my bigger old SCX tracks (not the biggest by far, but the most practical.. Hard to race when you can't see through walls but you want to use all your track ahah):
    [​IMG]

Team Marlboro Mclaren pits:
    [​IMG]

What my final main straight will look like:
    [​IMG]
    That control tower in the middle will be replaced by a 3rd pit garage and each end of the straight there's going to be a lane changer.

Small track I did to try out corner lane changers:
    [​IMG]

The scalextric buildings:
    [​IMG]
    With these I like how you can take the top section off any and put them on any other

I'm planning to make a modular setup for my permanent track, Taken from what Train enthusiasts do when they go to expos.
    IE The main straight will be one section mounted to a board, then I'll have a small gap which I can easily take 2 track parts out of that link to the next section. That way, I'm never stuck with one circuit, and can expand when I want/can afford to.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  17. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

:D it's so weird seeing the cars that came with the digital platinum with all their wings and mirrors :lol:

18. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I'm the only one who drives the McLarens, and for me a crash means getting of the couch, so I wait for everyone else to take each other out, then take the lead .:lol:
    The porche's and Audi's have been smashed to buggery and glued back on several times.
    I recently sold a couple of cars and the 4 car power base to fund more track

When I have work again I will promptly be buying more McLarens.

19. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Well I've had a race on the track, Great fun.. but now we need one in the north east.
    Here's some eye candy on Komms excellent diorama (well as good as my phone can take ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Hey all!

This thread has been a bit neglected - I haven't done much to the track in the past few months - I recon I've only spent a total of about 5 hours out there since FIREWIRE came over!

Hopefully this weekend I will put some time into it - I will post the process of cleaning the track - and more details of how it's put together.

Hopefully I will start on scenery too while the track is in pieces - I can start painting the foam it's on :thumbup: