[PROJECT] Komm's Scalextric set up! Scenery update - Post #85 Page 6

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Kommandant33, Apr 3, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I went round to a friends place on the weekend who has a non-digital track, and he had an F1 car with no magnet - the challenge of getting it to stick to the track, and make good lap times was VERY exciting!

Magless racing is better on wooden tracks, as they do have better grip and more sweeping corners - but I recon I will keep a few of my cars magless for more of a challenge.

I actually got it from a hobby shop around the corner - they are a great bunch to deal with - Brunel Hobbies

But do some research, and see what track you want and then go shopping from there. Brunel were the cheapest at the time for the digital law-enforcer set, but they are more expensive than other stores for other things.

Do you want to go digital? Or are you happy with just 2 cars at a time?

If you want a good middle ground - 2 cars, non digital - but still modern, look at the ARC (app race control) sets - you plug in an ipad and it simulates tyre wear, fuel usage - or you can get the ARC Air wireless controllers - and they are more advanced again.

So starting at the basics -

C1368 Le Mans Sports - 4.8m of track, 2 cars. $150

Then the ARC ONE (basic ARC) sets -

C1329 Scalextric Sport Set - 4.97m of track - Generic cars $215

Super GT or American Classics, both $259 - same track different cars.

And the ARC AIR sets - these are the ones with more functionality and wirelss controllers:

C1358 Track Day set - 6.81m of track - $499

And then there is the Digital options - with lane changes, 4-6 cars on the track at one time. Now there aren't a great deal available at the moment - but you may be lucky to find one of the basic tracks with the 4 controller power base - like the Digital Racer here for $419.99, but really you want at least 3 cars and 3 controllers.

The monster is the Digital Platinum which comes with the advanced power base, 6 digital cars, 6 digital controllers and a shit-tonne of track for $859

I think the reason the digital tracks are rare, is because Scalextric are working on the ARC AIR PRO - which is the new 6 car power base with wireless controllers. I am waiting to see the specs before I upgrade my power base - wireless controllers would be cool, but if it doesn't connect to the PC I wont bother - why trade a 44" for a tablet for all the race controls?

Let me know if you have any questions - but for you, MAD_E, I recon a decent ARC ONE track would be a good way to start - and if you want to convert to digital in the future, you just need to buy some change over lanes and a digi power base (and digital chips for the cars)

Edit - are you still in Albury? There is a shop that has the C1327 Digital Racer for $399

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  2. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Any updates?

I have finally ordered the USB cable, and started removing crap from the shed to build mine. (BIG TASK)

Yeah. magless f1 is basically just drift cars. :thumbup:

As Komm said, Brunel hobbies are great, if they don't have something they are happy to get it for you (doesn't help me being on the opposite side of town) If you don't mind being price gouged Metro hobbies http://metrohobbies.com.au/slot-cars.html are good at stocking everything.. but you sure pay for it.

Basically The BEST place is armchair racer. http://www.armchairracer.com.au/

And by best I mean in terms of prices, stock, customer service and after sales support. Good postage rates and they're happy to haggle to a fair degree if you want a lot of stuff too!
    You can learn more talking to them for 20 minutes than you can with 16 hours of research.. :D

3. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

OKAY! So I have been doing some work on the track today - I will post the pics here and come back for a bit of an explination a little bit later - but right now, beer O'Clock.

Painted some track - going for the European road colours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Making fences.

[​IMG]

Wife helping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Looking amazing :) Nice work!

5. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

:D Now I just need to get a white sharpie and draw some graffiti on the track :D

6. Rainey

Rainey Member

Very cool. Love the technique on the fences and the brick walls. Can't wait to see more! :thumbup:

This was our setup over christmas:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

nice one! I love the idea of Carrera track - being able to use both 1:32 and 1:24 cars- but you do need a WHOLE lot of space if you want a big layout - that is for sure.

If you are interested in modelling, there a quite a few nice 1:24 static models out there - perfect to paint up and stick on a universal chassis. I have a 1:24 72 Toyota Celica sitting in the garage just begging to be converted into a slot car :D

8. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

OKAY! So I went ahead and lay down some scatter grass, put in some more fences - and we are now nearly ready to work on the MDF elevations!

The walls got a bit grassy - but that's OK - looks a bit like moss

[​IMG]

Potato photo

[​IMG]

View from the fence

[​IMG]

don't mind the bit of paper - I just had to spray on a bit more glue where the grass was a bit loose.

[​IMG]

It's come up a treat! The pictures don't really do it justice IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

9. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

looks sick as:thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Thanks mate :)

Now everything on the bottom level is done, I put the track on to make sure everything fit... and with a bit of jiggling - it did!

The track was very dirty from sitting in a box in the garage while I worked, and of course it still has it's stickers on with the numbers - but couldn't help ourselvs - we had to do a few laps :lol:

Still a bit of work ahead, gotta take the track off - order the barriers, re-measure and cut the MDF overpasses.I want to add some sort of lighting in as well.

Komm

11. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Holy shit..
    :thumbup:
    I'm giving up right now.. Looks amazing!:lol:

12. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Sorry for the lack of updates - since we completed the track we have been racing (and drinking) - and a little holiday.

Here is another video I took of the track a little while back

I will hopefully get a chance to get some more detailed shots of the completed track this weekend. :thumbup:

13. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

you've gotta be happy with the way it turned out:thumbup:
    can I come over & hava drive too;)

14. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

That looks awesome... great work at Adulting™ :lol:

15. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I haven't really updated the thread - I've been too busy with work/family, but still managing to do a few laps when everybody has gone to bed :leet:

The far end of the track, at the end of the second straight only had the standard scalextric border, and then a 4 ft drop onto hard concrete - so I had to do something about that!

I glued in some spare roofing screws...

[​IMG]

Glued some magnets to a bit of foam...

[​IMG]

Painted some brickwork on it, and BOOM - detachable car catcher!

[​IMG]

And this is what it looks like now!

[​IMG]

... well what it looked like when it was first finished... there have been a few high speed accidents that have chipped off paint/grass... but half the fun is remodelling!

Since the track is on 3x foam bases, I can make a completely different set up and store it away.

[​IMG]

When I get some time, I will get a video of some hot laps, and if I can find the right camera I will do some POV laps :thumbup:

16. Rainey

Rainey Member

Still looking awesome mate! Interesting technique on the car catcher... it doesn't detach from the magnets when a car hits it?

17. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

It's strong enough to take a decent hit! And easy enough to remove to reach any deslotted cars on the back straight :thumbup:

18. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

19. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

We have been having a great time with the track... I have got some new cars, too - we have been playing around with the Scalextric BTCC class - they aren't as fast as the pro Italian ones, but they are great fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also picked up this mean machine - BMW M3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And tonight I had a go at long exposure to pick up the light trails from the cars:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recon it turned out pretty well!

20. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Nice!! I see mirrors and spoilers in tact though.;)