[PROJECT] Komm's Scalextric set up! Scenery update - Post #85 Page 6

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Kommandant33, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Looks awesome, but the Photobucket policy change has broken a lot of the images. :( You can upload them again as attachments directly into your forum posts now if you like.

Kommandant33 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Yeah this whole Photobucket thing is a shame..

I will try and update all the nuked posts, but in the meantime - here are some new cars for the track:

Mercedes AMG GT3, in both Anime and GULF livery:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there is a sneaky McLaren 12C MP4 with the anime livery as well:

[​IMG]

And then these are some cool numbers I picked up.. The first is a MSC Subaru WRX circa 2000, and the other is a later model WRX - they are both belt driven 4wd with an over drive system, meaning the front wheels spin slightly faster than the rear

[​IMG]

And then I had to get the same car in Matte Black - It is still waiting for the glamour shot on the track :)

[​IMG]

As you may have seen, the current track is up for sale, as I am moving to a routed wood analog track, as well as getting started on a single lane routed wood raid/rally track as well.

3. grrrr

grrrr Member

haha love the look of the anime and big spoilers but they look like they should be japanese drifters .. not top of the line AMGs and Mclarens.
    (<- avatar checks out)

Kommandant33 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Great! Photobucket has unfucked my thread :thumbup:

I will get around to updating the thread soon - I am actually looking at moving in a different direction, but the cost is going to be pretty big.

5. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

6. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

The set you’ve linked uses the new arc pro system with the wireless controls.

Komms setup is the older digital platinum set
    http://www.armchairracer.com.au/slo...c-digital-6-car-set-c1330-platinum-2014-8-55m

The new arc sets use an app on a tablet or phone for all the race software (timing, pit lanes, pace cars, etc).

Komms setup is more professional than the arc pro. Because it has several components (like pit lane sensors etc) that interact with proper computer software.

At this stage the advanced 6 car power base that comes in the platinum set is still the best way if you REALLY want to get into digital.

Basically scalextric integrated stuff the enthusiasts have already done better but made it easier to use.

Kommandant33 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

^^ As FIREWIRE says - The new ARC PRO system is different. There is no AUX input that can be converted to USB for 3rd party software on a computer set up - mind you there are some people out there working out how to connect to a PC via Blue Tooth - but the functionality isn't quite there yet.

I was about to buy a new track to replace this one, but unfortunately someone beat me to it! There was a second hand Siliage BLST track for sale in Belgium (for a shit tonne of euros) - and while I was busy fluffing around getting quotes from couriers, and umming and ahhhing as to whether I could afford it, someone else has bought it.

8. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Haven't dropped in for a while... totally ignoring all the tech talk and just swooning on the sweet cars bro.... :D

Seriously though, the whole rig looks like amazing fun, and you've done a great job showing it off.
    Quality thread, looking forward to browsing back through it and learning a thing or too about slotcar racing again. :thumbup:

PS. Just so I have some vague reference to go by in case I decide to get involved in the hobby...
    How close is the Missus to kicking you the fuck out?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Luckily she has a competitive spirit, and she loves racing!

BlueRaven and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  10. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I was gonna like your post Komm, but then saw you missed out on your track.. bummer. :( but I’ve seen one of those tracks before somewhere in my travels.

And blueraven, yeah we’re getting bogged down in the technical stuff because it’s needed. We’ll have to get some eye candy back.
    I’ve hijacked this thread a few times, because not only has komm done some amazing work but it’s the closest thing we have to an actual official slot car thread.

I’m sure we could start a general slot car thread, but a lot of the info would just be hijacked from here anyway. And watching this build is more informative than what I could say anyway.

Maybe I’ll make a slot car eye candy thread? There are some incredible models. (The new scalextric lancia stratos’s look AMAZING)

I just need some nice diaramas to get some shots.

BlueRaven and Kommandant33 like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

See, the problem is that I have been watching Luke Towan videos, and he makes it look very easy... so I might have to give a 1:32 diorama a shot :D

Also, no shelf queens in my house.. cars are made to be driven.

I think this will be the next investment...

And just re: the track that I missed out on.. I am a little bit devistated, but the track alone would have been AU$3145, and then I would have needed slot.it oxigen controllers - max 6 at $165 each, and then new chips for all the cars at $45 each and then the scenery for the track and new table - well, the cost always gets blown out.. even from my amateur attempt at scenery with this track...

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  12. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

You can drive cars without thrashing them though ;) and it looks like you’ll have to hold onto your track for now.

13. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

If you are on instagram, check out my page - tulip_raceway - I am just doing a live unboxing :thumbup:

14. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

So, I went past Metro Hobbies in Box Hill today - and probably spent more than I needed to... but I needed to get over missing out on the BLST track..

I picked up the newest AMG GT3 - not a massive fan of this livery, but I these cars are great fun for new and experienced drivers - and great for race nights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then from the moment I got the email for Scalextric earlier in the year announcing the Gulf GT40 triple pack, I knew it had to be mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am normally not into shelf-queens, and I love bashing about my cars - but I think these guys might stay in the box - and if they have to be driven, I will limit the power to 25% :D

BlueRaven and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  15. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Bit of a shame that the Gulf Pack didn't include this one...

Gulf Porsche 917KH.jpg

Such a gorgeous car, especially up close! Surely someone makes a scale version?

Don't get me wrong, the GT40 Trifecta is equally iconic of course.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  16. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Aha!!! See... you can have a shelf queen that you can drive!

Example: if I owned a McLaren F1 OF COURSE I WOULD DRIVE IT... BUT would I thrash it? No. Just enjoy.

17. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Porsche 917k - very nice! There are quite a few models of them floating about.. Fly Slot make a nice one with the Gulf livery. And NSR made a pretty sweet double set.

We'll see how I go :D

BlueRaven likes this.
  18. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Man, you are so addicted to this.

Bravo sir. :D:thumbup:

150 Freedom Bucks with shipping for the Fly one... :upset:
    Not a cheap hobby is it?

The model-train-club level effort you're putting into the scenery is a great way to show off the investment though, it all looks really good mate. Nice photos too. :)
    And a full-on family effort too, which is also great. You must tell your secrets, one day....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  19. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Ha! Look what just popped up on Facebook this morning!

[​IMG]

mad_mic3 and BlueRaven like this.
  20. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Maybe the universe is trying to tell you something.... :D:D