[PROJECT] Komm's Scalextric set up! Scenery update - Post #85 Page 6

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Kommandant33, Apr 3, 2016.

1. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Komm, since you didn’t get the track you were after, what are you looking into getting instead (or trying to find another one the same?)

If I may venture off topic a little:
    Was in metro hobbies today and saw the new scaley McLaren F1’s

I 100% guarantee the slot.it and Ninco ones are faster, but Jesus the new tooling on the scalextric ones look amazing.

So amazing it might get me back into it and damn the expense!

2. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I was tossing up with the idea of getting an analog track - but I think I am over the idea now... I am considering just redoing the scenery on my track and tweaking the set up.

If I do that, would you want my foam baseboards?

3. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I’ve no space for anything, trains of various sizes take over the whole house.

But I am considering your setup..

(And no I’m not exaggerating on the trains... I can’t even park my car undercover because of trains!!)

Attached Files:

Rainey likes this.
  4. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Can’t get to my slot cars because of trains!...

My slot car display shelf even got taken over with trains, and under the house, where I want to make a slot car track, can you guess... trains!!! a battle I can’t win..

Attached Files:

5. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Given all my existing Scalextric is from the 1960s/1970s from what Im seeing none of it will be compatable with the newer digital setups, so am looking into options from Carrera also. There seem to be more Carrera sellers on Ebay which might be more cost effective when Ebay have their % off sales

From what Ive been investigating today the Carrera tracks are wider but potentially less durable to setting up and pulling down. The Cars seem to be more $$ most around the $100 + mark whereas Scalextric seems to have quite a few around the $70 mark.
    If I get a Carrera 132 set with Wireless controllers ( eg https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carrera...=item23aba8b47b:g:qk8AAOSwnN9btAk7:rk:14:pf:0 ) can I add a normal wired controller to the set also

The 3 car sets look good but they are wired controllers and this one from the UK would need a power adaptor https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARRERA-Digital-132-Pure-Speed-Box-Set-30191/391895407490

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Kommandant33 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Hey Squeezer.

re: your classic track , there is actually a genuine Scalextric piece (C8222) that you can use to join newer Scalextric Sport/Scalextric Sport Digital track. The main thing you have to be aware of is the condition of the older track - the rails can rust if not stored correctly.

I have seen some great track set ups that use a mix of SSD and Classic track.

Re: Carrera - The track is bigger, allowing 1/24 and 1/32 cars, which is fantastic - but it does take up more space - and you can't get the tighter radius turns. Not only are the cars more expensive, but the track is, too.

EG: Carrera double lane cross over $119
    Scalextric double lane cross over $99

It isn't a massive difference, but by the time you get 4 for a decent track set up, it adds up.

Also, the Scalextric digital plug system is fantastic. Being able to have a few digital chips you can interchange between all your Scalextric DPR cars makes it easy and cheaper than having to solder in digital chips to all new car purchases.

That being said, Carrera digital does have some cool track pieces that Scalextric don't offer, like lane changes on curves to get a BLST type system happening.

I can't recommend Carrera digital as I haven't used it, but I also can't recommend the new Scalextric digital ARC system as I haven't used it, either.

If you are serious, and have cash to burn, I would reccomend getting the following:

Scalextric Digital Platinum
    $899 pp
    C7042 USB Cable $66.30 pp
    Smart Sensor $119.30 pp (pit lane sensing)
    Scalextric pit lane $119 pp

And then clear some room in the garage, get an old computer in there and start building up your scenery!

Happy to answer any questions you may have :)

7. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Yes there is surface rust on quite a few pieces - some easy to clean up and some probably not worth the effort. The Digi platinum certainly is good value given the number of cars and controllers but I'd expect normal use of the track would be for 2 or maybe 3 people so am currently leaning towards maybe the 3 car Carrera Digital track/car for just over $500

Kommandant33 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

What set in particular are you looking at?

Some seem like good value, but they might not come with the best power bases, and maybe only 1 change over track which makes over-taking very annoying.

And I'm not sure what Carrera have in the way of racing software.. I think they do have a USB computer dongle, but not sure on the software. For fun digital racing, you need lap timing, weather simulation and fuel usage as a minimum IMO.

And we only race with a max of 4 on my big ass track - even that gets chaotic :D

Are you looking at a permanent set up, or one that you will get our every other weekend?

9. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carrera...Slot-Car-Set-CAR-30191-Brand-New/223155322341
    They have a Bluetooth dongle and an App than runs on ipad and Android. That looks like the best value item
    There is fuel usage etc but you need to purchase other stuff for that to work and the Pit stop track.
    Im not sure of the longevity with the kids/teenagers so dont want to invest megabucks into it. The only extra thing I might get initially is the bluetooth app/dongle thing and possibly some more lane change tracks further down the line

A rundown of the aftermarket accessories ( but these add up to mega $$$ )

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Where is the best place to buy bits?

Doing a bit of Spring cleaning, and fell upon an AFX set and extra track, but cars are nowhere to be found. is Ebay my best option for replacement cars?

11. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Buying bits and cars for AFX is tricky.
    Used is your best option for AFX these days so yes, eBay, gumteee etc.

They used to be in every toy and hobby shop, then around 2004ish I heard there was problems with the distributor and they went off the map entirely here. Like total clearance gone... sets, cars, track and accessories all completely vanished in about 6 months.

I saw a few bits in toy world last time I was there. (Tuneup kits and some track) so maybe they’re back.

Mr toys in Queensland has a range:
    https://www.mrtoys.com.au/afx-slot-cars-578#/page-2

But long term (and for better cars) time to switch to scalextric. ;) unless you want to race with very young kids because AFX cars can smash into brick walls at full speed and just bounce.

Best place for 1:32 scale slot cars is hands down Armchair racer.

And the ‘HO***’ sets are all incompatible. Tyco, AFX and microscalextric are all different and don’t work together and often even different scales.

At least with 1:32 you can use CARERRA, Ninco, slot.it, scalextric, SCX on any platform of track.

Also, Komm. You still got your setup going?

Kommandant33 likes this.
  12. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I do have young kids, and I guess few to many bounces, is the reason I have no cars any more. I did find bits of cars, but not enough to make a complete one :).

Cheers for the post, I'll might head to Toy World on the weekend and see what they've got, and I'll keep an eye on on Ebay/Scumtree.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  13. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Good luck. let us know how you go (maybe make a thread or pm me so we can all stop thread crapping). Used to love my afx as a kid, but then wanted bigger cars because they’re beautiful.

I really should do a consolidated slot car thread, but I can’t get to any of mine and it’s a shitload of typing on a phone ahah.

But for anyone looking to do 1:32, especially digital, Komm is the guru around these parts.

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

My brother had a set, I used to love playing with it when he'd set it up, and he'd let me. These have been around for a LOOOOONG time.

15. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

First commercial set in 1912.

I’m gonna do a massive consolidated slot car thread this weekend.

I’m sure Komm will help fill in gaps just to stop us all from posting in here :lol:

Back on topic: Komm? You found your routed digital layout yet or haven’t seen anymore?

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

Sorry Komm, you just gave me a dose of nostalgia seeing your thread. :)

17. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

In the next few months I am going to be disassembling the track again, and completely re-doing the scenery as well as some other minor changes to the track's lay out, but mainly:

Removing the power base from the track.
    Making the pit lanes 2 lanes, and extending out to after corner 1.
    Moving the chicane after corner 1 to just before corner 2.
    Getting rid of all the boarders, and replacing with sculpt-a-mold (plaster) so the track will feel more like it is a part of the scenery, and not just sitting on top.
    Possibly painting the track, so it will blend more seamlessly with the scenery.
    Adding lights - which I may need the help from the OCAU brains trust for, as I have very little knowledge with that kind of stuff
    Solder all the track pieces together to maintain constant power delivery OR apply copper tape to the whole track (will do research closer to the time we pull it apart)

Also, there are a few things to do with the current set up that just don't work exactly how I like them to - I am excited to just pull everything apart in the garage and start from scratch.

[​IMG]

mad_mic3 and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  18. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Can tell you from working on old shitty track, that copper tape is amazing.

But soldering would probably work just as good on modern track.

Have fun with the rebuild, and keep us updated with pics and progress. :thumbup:

Kommandant33 likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Have you had any progress with your build? Or still a lack of space?

20. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Lack of space has almost become secondary to lack of motivation.

So much to do, so much to get rid of to fit it, and so little energy atm. Focusing on the cars for now... got a whole shelf of queens though (mostly McLarens.)