KOTOR Sequel is Bioware Secret MMO

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by bigbud120, Jul 18, 2008.

1. bigbud120

bigbud120 Member

Gamespot link.

It was pretty obvious that this was the case given Bioware's secrecy and collaboration with LucasArts. I hope they do it justice.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  2. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Havn't they only ever done single player rpgs?

GL going mmo with that.

3. Rii

Rii (Banned or Deleted)

Yeah, clearly a game developer should have years of MMO experience under its belt before attempting MMO development, else they might trip over and accidentally produce the most successful example of the genre in existence or something. :Paranoid:

4. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Bioware can make good games. Who cares if they haven't made an MMO before, they will do a good job. They have a good reputation at the moment and they aren't about to let it get tarnished.

5. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

Bioware would certainly also have no problem attracting the talent they need to get the job done right, either. Blizzard played smart when they were sourcing the talent they needed when brewing up WoW - Bioware can certainly do the same. I look forward to see what they come up with.

6. Rii

Rii (Banned or Deleted)

It's certainly going to be a significant cultural shift for them, as WoW was for Blizzard. Jeff Strain makes some good points about MMO development in contrast to traditional game development here.

7. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Think a little further smartass.

Bioware = Single Player games only. Afaik the biggest WAN integration they have had is adding freakin DRM to their software.

Blizzard = Years of multiplayer games, from dialup days to now. Plus experience with massive multiple simultaneous connection services (ie Bnet).

but thanks for proving my point.

8. Rii

Rii (Banned or Deleted)

Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights both supported multiplayer.

9. GiantGuineaPig

GiantGuineaPig Member

What was your point?

10. Jym

Jym Member

Oh yessssssss, finally the possibility of a Star War MMO that won't be shit?

Bioware haven't made a game that I didn't like in the last 10 years.

Count me in.

11. Frostyknight

Frostyknight Member

FUCK YES

been waiting for solid confirmation of this for so long :)

12. Blujay

Blujay Member

or

bioware = has made almost exclusively RPG games
    blizzard = RTS/strategy centric games and diablo.

hmm i would go with the company that has been making enthralling RPGs. bioware has also consistently pushed to evolve their games from kotor to mass effect. yes i will say i have a soft side for bioware because they have never shied away from trying new things - where blizzards conservatism really irks me but everyone will lap up their shit regardless.

13. japes

japes Member

Have to pull you up there. Regardless of how successful the game in, some of their Developer choices (ex-Everquest players) was not in any way intelligent.

14. Jay

Jay Member

Welcome to Northrend, please kill 12 bears.

edit: That's not entirely honest though, there's The Witcher from Bioware.

Please kill 12 bears, and then have sex with me.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  15. Semi-Evolved

Semi-Evolved Member

Indeed. All that purehybrid's proven is that he's got a one-track view of what makes a good MMO. Bioware's storytelling is second to none; regardless of what experience they may or may not have with regards to the technical implementation, they've shown time and again that they know how to spin a good yarn. That's something that's been heavily lacking in most MMOs to date, and something I'll gladly welcome from them.

Not quite; the Witcher only used a Bioware engine, development was by CD Projekt.

16. joecool55

joecool55 Member

It could be good, it should be good, lets hope EA dont push them to release it early and thereby mess it up.

17. Jay

Jay Member

Awesome, so I'm back to worshipping Bioware. Cheers. :D

18. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Then thats what your answer should have been. Notice I posed a question in my original post? I have no idea of biowares history, and just a general notion that it was all SP RPGs. Obviously this is concerning because the most important aspect of any multiplayer game to me, is being able to play said game, in a low lag environment (BL AoC Sieges).

What is the point of making an MMO with an awesome storyline, if you can't play in any areas that have more than 10 ppl due to lag? Not very MMO then is it?

I'm not saying it will suck. I'm not saying they can't do it. I simply asked a question as to their previous experience with multiplayer games (ie. netcode). 'Cos afai knew, they didn't have any.

19. reaqwe

reaqwe Member

a decent multiplayer client/interface is a pretty big issue, something bioware hasn't attempted before and ea just plain suck at. however previous bioware titles were quality (sp wise), so too early to tell.

on another note, ea launching WAR and SW mmos at roughly same time - cannibalizing own market? unless both take a big chunk out of WOW, one of them will be pretty battered before 2 years is through. im guessing WAR

20. SyK

SyK Member

I think a lot of people are significantly overestimating the technical complications in building an MMO.

Whilst they obviously vary a great deal, thanks to the huge fuss and hype about this sort of game in the industry at large for quite a few years now, there are a huge number of commercially available, high-quality third-party frameworks, tools and libraries available for essentially every level of MMO building. Just like regular game building though possibly to an ever greater extent due to the smaller number of places with released games.

You can just walk out and buy top-level options for everything from full engines through to ultra-specific libraries for things like payment gateway integration or even generating trees, grass or clouds. (The gaming world is all about this, I shit you not)

It is quite possible and even entirely reasonable to buy any one, several, or every part of what you'd need to build a successful MMO that scaled to millions of users, using 'off-the-shelf' components. You can games in construction that are one or any bizarre hybrid of these approaches. even stuff like using the UE3 for the sexy graphics and developers tools with the networking ripped out and replaced by an existing hugely scalable MMO layer including micropayments.

I haven't personally worked on a released product with these tools but not long ago spent a few weeks as a research consultant, literally doing nothing but assess options and feasibility of using these and other options to build a variety of MMO-like games/systems. Basically found that really, the "MMO" part of an "MMO___" game these days isn't such a big deal.

And if you can purchase tools at this level of quality it's totally reasonable to expect any top-level development studio to either already have or be able to readily acquire the talent to produce their own if they decide it necessary. I don't know about the rest of the world but I'd sure as hell put Bioware in that category and so would most of the people they'd need, I'm guessing.

Technical stuff out of the way, you have to sit down and think a bit to make sure you have solid player interaction and a viable, well balanced economy/gameworld overall, sure, but anywhere with a clue should be able to do that part of it and anywhere with reasonably solid pre-release testing experience in particular.

Which means it's far more important to focus on the game part of the "MMO game", and where "game" == RPG, who's really going to do much better than Bioware?

The only issue I can see them having is with it having too much of a consoley feel as they've been criticized for with some recent releases, PC MMO gamers are maybe the only ones less likely to accept this than regular PC RPGers, but it may even end up on a console, who would know. And they certainly don't have any problems making a solid game world or RPG in general.

TL;DR
    It's Bioware, they'll be fine.