1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

REVIEW Kraken Mini Nuke 110 Compact NUC PC

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Kelvin, Oct 15, 2023.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

With the recent PAX special... $150 coupon.. I took the option to purchase the "Kraken Mini Nuke 110 Compact NUC PC) from BPC technology.. for $999 - $150 Plus a $39 upgrade to 32gb of ram.. for a grand total of $888.

Kraken Mini Nuke 110 Compact NUC PC | BPC Technology

Background -
    I have been keeping tabs of this particular SFF for about a year or so..
    Intially there was a introductory off of $1599 - 10% for a 12400F = $1440 with 16gb and 500gb sdd with a 4070 included. Without any clear reviews or opinions around, I didn't buy.. the special came and went.. This prices slowly increased as well.

Ozbargain has a couple of threads..
    (1) Any Thoughts on Kraken Mini NUC PC from BPC Tech? - OzBargain Forums
    (1) Kraken Mini Nuke 110 Compact NUC PC i7-12700, 16GB 3200MHz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 600W Bronze $899.10 + Delivery ($0 MEL C&C) @ BPC Tech - OzBargain

After purchasing this..
    REVIEW - Nuc 12 Enthusiast - Serpent Canyon | OCAU Forums (overclockers.com.au)
    dropped into BPC to buy a cheap lexar PCI-express 4.0 NVME SSD, the the Kraken Mini on display both white and grey.. and thought they looked great, built quality looked excellent and were smaller than I expected..

then PAX happened with the PAX special and took to opporunity to order one.. and rest is in the review below

The order
    Stock configuration with ram upgrade to 32gb ($39). As much wanted the white one.. $159 for the white trim and Power supply upgrade to 750W.. didn't seem good value.. Ordered on early Monday morning ..and was ready to be picked up on Tuesday!! which I did on Friday

What did I get for my money?
    Opened cardboard box with the Kraken Power Livery "NUC 110".
    Hard grey foam around the case/computer (which was inside a plastic bag)...
    Power cable and a small bag of screws with a allen key..
    Receipt.. and thats it.. no manual /drivers / or anything else..
    Verbally the store clerk told me it came with 2 years warranty..(*when I asked") though I haven't got anything in writing.. and when i asked about wifi, he said it doesn't work, I should purchase a USB wifi dongle. Even the machine they use in the shop has a usb wifi dongle attached.

The Hardware itself..

The Good
    • Excellent finsh, look and size.
    • Socketed CPU
    • M2 wifi I think is socketed
    • thunderbolt 4
    • 10gb Lan
    • SFF
    • 4x M2 slots.

The Bad
    • No PCI-express 5.0 support on the baseboard (older baseboard)
    • Wifi is present, but no antennae (need MMCX connection - hard to find)
    • No audio / optical out.. will need to break out via HDMI audio extraction.
    • 2x 120ARGB fans appear fixed speed and a little on the noisier side.
    • Little to no documentation
    • Windows 11 wont complete installation without knowing this..
    • Unable to Complete Windows 11* Installation, as “Let’s... (intel.com)
    • No future Gen 13 or 14 CPU support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Value
    - 12700 - about $400
    - Lexar 1tb NVME ssd - about $70 ($79 new)
    - Lexar 2x16gb 3200mhz sodimm - $84 at BPCtech
    - FSP 600W SFX power supply - maybe $120..
    = $674..
    making the case and elements and baseboard worth around $214 which is a total steal!!.

Cheapest equivalent is the NUC RNUC12DCMI70004 12th gen i7 extreme barebones kit at $1239.00
    Intel NUC RNUC12DCMI70004 12th Gen i7 Extreme Barebones Kit - msy.com.au
    you will obviously need to add ram ($84) and ssd ($79)..
    for a total of $1402.. for the equivalent... versus $888 for this machine...
    obviously the intel machine, will have working wifi and working fan control.. but less options for GPUs due to the size constraints.

Plans
    Get the wifi probably working, by getting appropriate adaptor (MMCX to SMA) or internal antenna (MMCX to WIFI).. local prices are a killer so aliexpress it shall be..
    Drop in a GPU
    See whether I can get the fan control working..
    Upgrade to PCI-Express 4.0 SSD..

If you are looking to buy I suggest to wait for a $100 / $150 off or 10% of sale on the Kraken machines.. which seem to happen every so often..

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    jpw007, Broden, Elmf and 1 other person like this.
  2. brayway

brayway Member

What a cool wee machine, those NUC boards aren't something I'd seen before!

3. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Internal antennaes arrive today from Ali express... MMCX to WIFI... internal... I am on 450/50 FTTP.
    WIth the case closed.. I get 270/42... with the sides opened I get 450/50, without the antennae, I was getting something like 30/20 if I remember..
    Obviously the aluminium case if shielding the RF signal... I just to have to thread the antennaes and stick them on the outside..

for anyone looking I bought these
    2.4G/5.8G Dual bandadhesive Mount patch Antenna with MMCX male right angle connector. $2.67 each plus the postage.. cost me $21.50 for four antennae.
    2.4G 5G 5.8G Dual Band Adhesive Mount Patch Antenna SMA IPEX MCX MMCX Connector for Wireless Network Router WiFi Module Zigbee - AliExpress

They click straight into the nuc antennae connector ..

Elmf likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    shino and Broden like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

[​IMG]

One of dreadzone 3070 HP OMEN specials.. (with bonus rust) inside.. after a bit of cable management..
    Plenty of room still...
    Haven't been able to sort out the fan control on the two top fans.. seems fixed at 1100-1150 rpm.. no matter what I do...

ky0 and Broden like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

7. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    cloud zhou and brayway like this.
  8. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

9. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  10. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

Sorry, What does "view the HDMI" mean?

11. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Sorry via hdmi ..
    HDMI out contains audio
    You can split it out if required..,

haven’t tried it myself .. in this machine .. but I have done before on others ..

12. triplespy

triplespy New Member

Looking at the GPU options that bpc provide as GPu upgrades and the 3090 in one of the comments here, it looks like GPU dimensions of L:294mm W:126mm and H:53mm will fit. Unsure if that has any actual creditability.

Is that correct? I am looking at getting a rx 6700 XT with a width of 134 mm to put in there, but unsure if it;s too wide for the case.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  13. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

I reckon it will fit .. but whether you can get the power connectors on the card might be an issue.. you might need a u bend or right angle adaptor depending on the card.. else the gpu power leads may obstruct the top fans

See the power connectors on my 3090 pictures.. i had to bend them to make sure they did t rub against the rgb fans

triplespy likes this.
  14. triplespy

triplespy New Member

Might be best for me to play safe then, I'll get a smaller width gpu. Probably better for airflow too.

Looking at your 3090, yeah looks like you need to keep to the standard slot width of 110mm to make it easier for yourself. Obviously you can fit higher cards if you can bend or use an adapter.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  15. triplespy

triplespy New Member

lol, that good deal went away just like that. Didn't even get to take advantage of it.

I was to slow I guess

16. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

looking at options too, Come up with anything yet?

17. triplespy

triplespy New Member

I gave up one it when they took down the sale.

But I was thinking of getting a second rx6700 XT (Either the AsRock Challenger or PowerColor Fighter) and use a U-Turn power connector. I was also considering stretching my budget to getting a RTX 4070 or a RX7800XT. Pretty much any 4070 will fit. In australia I saw one RX 7800XT that would fit, a Sapphire RX 7800XT, not the Pulse or any other named, but just a base one.

18. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

Oh wow! i just noticed the price jumped up, looks like i got in just before

What power connectors are you referring to? Trying to get everything ordered before it arrives

There is a 6700XT for sale in forums, not sure if they are good/bad BRIS - 2x Radeon 6700XT Reference GPUs | OCAU Forums (overclockers.com.au)

19. triplespy

triplespy New Member

A U bend to connect to your GPU so that you don't need to bend your power connectors. Or try a right angle connector.
    Basically, from what I looked at, it would be good to keep to a 40mm height for the gpu to allow for the fans to spin with some actual air from the case fans. You need to keep the gpu under 300mm in length.

The width is what you have to worry about. Looking at the gpu upgrades on bpc , a width of 126 would be practically guaranteed to fit. I've never built in a SFF though, so I can't attest to any accuracy.

20. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

Oh righto makes sense thanks for that

Reckon this will fit and be decent enough, not sure if i need any special power adapters?
    AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT Gaming Graphics card with 12GB GDDR6 memory, powered by AMD RDNA™ 2, HDMI 2.1 (xfxforce.com)