1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

REVIEW Kraken Mini Nuke 110 Compact NUC PC

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Kelvin, Oct 15, 2023.

1. triplespy

triplespy New Member

Great news for me, managed to get the original bluetooth and wifi working using the wires that Kevin linked.

I had trouble getting the pc to start up at the start that caused a loop of automatic pc repair, but a simple complete reinstall of windows fixed that quickly.

Just had to transfer all drivers and bios updates through usb. Then everything worked.

Installed 64GB of ram, of 1.35 V XMP, they worked straight of the box and the BIOS automatically put them at at their highest frequency.

Installed a new nvme ssd and an old laptop nvme ssd. All showing up.

Only problem is the wire connector mmcx broke on one of them, doesn't seem to have affected it...

Still need to install a GPU at some point. And need to get a different sidepanel since mine also covers the psu. All in all, simpler to set up then I thought it was going to take.

Got a Windows 11 Pro key from Kinguin for $57. Activated and all working.

Edit: I got all my drivers from Asus, and the Wifi driver from intel, so it does look like Asus will provide the firmware support and drivers for now.

Tested the XMP profile, its limiting me to CL24, when the ram should be able to do cl16... I think the 1.35 V is the fault. So if you want to go for the fastest ram, you need to make sure it 1.2 V RAM

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  2. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

3. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Hmmmm.. the mystery widens with the top fans...
    I have one fan at constant speed...
    and the other spining up.. then stopping. in windows... and not spinning up for GPU or CPU loads..

Have reset the bios and all the setting.. and nothing work..
    Swtiched the fans connectors around.. and its back to normal. fixed speed...? (maybe I accidently reversed them, whilst installing my GPU..
    I would have thought the fans were identical???

Anyway.. back step one.. again..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
  4. triplespy

triplespy New Member

Has anyone tried manually overclocking the RAM? Is that even possible with this PC?

Edit, don't think you can. When I first had a look at the xmp profiles, it looks like its locked to jedec and xmp. Looking at documentation from Asus support confirms this.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  5. sanjay

sanjay Member

still waiting for a refund from BPC. pretty pissed off about this whole situation actually. they said they'd issue the refund in 2-3 business days on 16 january, called yesterday and they said they actually only processed it on monday (22nd), and still not showing up on my credit card.

they shouldn't have charged me without having the stock in hand. minded to do a chargeback on the bastards.

6. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I paid with afterpay, it didn't cancel with them until Monday evening after the second payment came out. Both payments were returned to my account yesterday.

CC returns take a little longer. But had they actually processed the refund when we cancelled...

7. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Same with me

8. sanjay

sanjay Member

got my refund today.

9. summdays

summdays New Member

Hi Kelvin, may I ask how to open the top panel? I try to do the wifi job today, but don't know how to open the top panel, so fail to reach the AX211 parts... thanks a lot

10. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

the very top panel. pulls off... lift from the back. and the panel will unclip off easily...
    the side panels, pull outwards.. also best from the top..

unfornately the top frames does NOT come off at all..
    either you need small hands to clip the antennae onto the element board...
    or remove, both top fans to get yourself some room...

Good luck...

11. summdays

summdays New Member

Thanks, I wasted whole afternoon trying to open the top frame, now I understand what I should do...

12. benn0

benn0 New Member

Regarding the top fans - I also had weird things going on with my top fans. I think the breakout connector from the compute element must be dodgy, as whenever the connection between the 8-pin on the breakout cable and the adapter to the two fans was touching the side of the PSU, it would spin one or both of the fans up to full speed. Mighty annoying, and I'm not quite sure how or why I figured that out. Anyway, finding a position I could get that cable into that didn't cause this helped solve that issue. For me, the fans were still way too loud (my other computer is one of those old cylindrical Mac Pros, and while it lacks a little power it is amazingly quiet). I ended up replacing the fans with some low-speed Noctuas (https://www.msy.com.au/product/noctua-120mm-nf-s12b-redux-edition-pwm-fan-28291), and that has made a huge difference. I originally tried just removing the fans but had huge problems with airflow and the CPU fan spinning up massively. The ones I installed seem like a nice compromise, virtually silent with enough airflow to keep the CPU fan relatively low. I haven't tested it out with a large GPU workload, but I'm happy with it for now.

ky0 likes this.
  13. Axie

Axie Member

I'm still trying to get my money back from these jokers ..

14. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Ouch