KT266 rev2/3

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by sen, Jul 19, 2001.

1. sen

sen Member

reposted from oc&hardware forum I think.

KT266 rev2

Just curious, anyone have some news on this?

First there was a rumor that there will be a rev2 of this chipset, then it was just some layout/configuration changes that was applied to increase the speed, now I hear some ppl are talking there will be another rev2 out soon or maybe a rev3?

Can anyone confirm, deny or can't make a comment due to nda.

thx

2. Manaz

Manaz (Damned or Belated)

If when you mention rev3 of the KT266 chipset, you're referring to the dual-channel DDR version I mentioned in the "Overclocking and Hardware Discussion" forum, I was just musing - not referring to something that I'd definately heard - sorry if what I said was misleading.

I'm just hoping that it'll happen :)

3. Manaz

Actually, I kind-of asked this question to John Gatt a little while ago - I wasn't very specific about it though, pointing to generalities rather than specifics (the KT266 chipset for example).

You can read what I asked, and what John (who works for Via) responded with here.

However, since I asked (and John answered) that question, the rumours about the KT266rev chipset have become stronger - especially with AMD starting to push it's AMD761 Northbridge chipset, and manufacturers using it over Via's KT266 northbridge (the 686B south bridge still seems to be used, due to it's lower cost and I assume equal or better performance than the AMD766 Southbridge).

John, can you confirm that Via has no plans for a "revision" of the KT266 chipset to bring it's performance up more in line with other DDR chipsets?

4. John Gatt VIA

John Gatt VIA Member

VIA has been working close with motherboard manufacturers to implement new board layouts to improve performance of the KT266. We have also released a new BIOS to further improve performance. There has not been any new revisions of
    the chipset released but VIA may release an new version of the KT266 in the future. We don't have any release schedules as yet.

5. Manaz

Once again John, thank you for your response - it's great to have you around, and willing to answer our questions when they arise :)