KT600 beating Nforce 2

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Jester1, Jun 1, 2003.

1. mongie

mongie Member

if you have such a strong opinion, why not share with us some of the reasons why VIA chipsets are so bad.

2. Suntzu

Suntzu Member

My kt266a asus went hard for a long time with no issues.

My kt400 asus is going very well too.

Im looking foward to the kt600a.

Peeps who winge on about Via and incompatibilities really dont know sh*t.

Took my about 2 hours to settle both these boards in.

Took me just as long with my old nforce 2 and lately with a 865pe , which is a great chipset but is bloody fussy!

3. VooDoo

VooDoo Large Member

and your basing this one what? experiance or hearsay?

Ive sold 100's of VIA boards and they come back the least. i have a KT333 with a 1700+ (1466mhz) running at 2333mhz for the past 3 months. the KT266a rocks and still outsells the NF2. (in fact outsells the KT400 too) Other than loading the 4in1's correctly there isnt any glaring issues. the NF2 is a little faster but most people wouldnt notice. I wouldnt class any chipset from VIA as bad. Quite the opposite. they perform well and at times lead the market (inc the P4 chipset market for a while) The only issues i had with them is some of the older P3 gear and driver problems. These days the drivers work well, the boards are stable and performance good. (better than the buggy POS BIOS, Drivers etc from Nvidia)

your comment proved you have no idea about the boards or cant load drivers correctly

4. Fish_Munger

Fish_Munger Member

I think VIA do a pretty good job in general,they are basically an alternative to Intel on the P4 and make great Athlon Chipsets ie the Kt266 Kt400 etc.But their cpus are way crap those C3 chips are so crap its not funny!.It is really:D

5. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

VIA provides competition to the other chipmakers. For example Intel wasn't going to release a DDR P4 chipset for quite a while until VIA released their P4X266 which combined P4 with DDR (rather than expensive RDRAM). This hurried Intel along and as a former owner of a P4X266 it is a rock-solid board in its own right.

6. Whisper

Whisper Member

They are good for no other reason that they force Intel to release a similarly targeted producted which works without 50 different driver revisions or hacks.

7. MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

my a7v266e kt266a had been going for a while, about 2yrs no problems, cept when the chipset fan got whiny :)

just jumped on the nforce2 bandwagon though, and all i see is higher overclocking. stability seems to be the same AFAIK.

8. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

There's no question that some VIA chipsets can be very finicky and fussy and take a while to stabilize.

But amazingly, as I've said before, my P4X266 was ROCK SOLID. I mean literally no problems. I just installed the 4-in-1s and away she went. To this day that board is working flawlessly, now in my parent's machine, in a closed-case system with no extra case cooling.

Not all VIA chipsets are bad...it all depends on the timing of release (i.e. whether it's a bit rushed like the abortive P4X400) and the revision (i.e. the A chipsets are more polished and faster).

9. Bahamut Zer0

Bahamut Zer0 Member

Proud owner of a kt266a chipset here (EPoX 8KHA+). Ive had a kt133a chipset previously (Abit KT7A) and both havnt missed a beat.

I was a little dissapointed with the kt333 and the kt400 chipsets, they werent exactly leaps and bounds ahead of my current chipset. However, when I made the transition from kt133a to kt266a, understand DDR memory was involved, and opened up a whole can of whupass on the ancient sdram.

Im going to go with AMDs latest barton line of processors, which means ill be looking for a board that will support 333/400mhz fsb speeds. Ill eargerly await VIA's offering. If they take too long, nForce2 is always there.

VIA did have some dodgey chipsets, but that was way back in the day...1st gen P3 days.

10. pkipper

pkipper Member

All I can say KT600 is looking very good. I wouldn't be suprised if KT600 outperforms nForce 2 (even though VIA KT600 reference board has already beaten nForce 2 in some of the benchies, especially in ram performance).

11. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Ok have a look at this Graph at Tweaktown, prepared by Nvidia.

I've already made a comment at the bottom of that article, so read my thoughts there. Suffice it to say Nvidia has launched some bad PR yet again, with some dubious graphs to show what is at most a 10% difference between Nforce2 and KT600 (in nvidia's favour).

Of course the Nforce2 has been around for a while and the BIOS and drivers have been optimized while the KT600 hasn't (and who knows there might be an A revision of it out soon). Bad PR Nvidia, misleading graphs and all.

I say wait until some independent sites do some decent reviews between the two.

12. skinz

skinz Member

hrmmm reviews seem to show that nforce2 is still king! quite dissapointing really!

guess we will have to wait for kt600a :p or for via to tweak the chipset with some uber drivers or some bios stuff!?

however nvidia might have some uber drivers up their own sleeve. when they will get around to releasing them (supposedly sometime this month) is another question. - a new IDE is definately in need!

13. Thomas887

Thomas887 Member

another vote here for KT266A being one of the best they have ever made!

I have gone Nforce 2, and the differences in speed really are small.

I will probably sell this NF7-S and go back to my A7V266-e though;)

Did you all know about the A7V266-e and its ability to unlock T'Breds???

14. PANZERAMD

PANZERAMD Member

The reason for the KT600 beating out the n-force2 in memory benches might because the n-force has a higher latency ( i read that some where )

Via boards i have had ( still have )
    KT 133 ( Aopen AK33 I think )
    KT 266A ( Msi k7t266 pro 2 -ru )
    KT400 ( Asus A7V8X )
    I killed the kt133 years ago but the other two still run great all though the PS2 ports on the kt266a are dead ( i use a USB kb/mouse ).

Nvidia boards
    Two Epox 8rda+ one died ( BIOS ) both couldn't hit 200Mhz FSB/memory.

I have alway's bean happier with the via boards:)

15. Thomas887

Thomas887 Member

I mist also point out that benchmarks are crap, and what matters is how it performs in real life;)

That is what you argue about with the AthlonXP and P4's nowdays - isnt it?;)

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The only reason I wouldnt buy a Via chipset board is for the Creative/Via static/ problem. Maybe its been addressed now but it wasnt when I had a 8RDA+. Going to nForce2 all but completely cleared up any sound issues I had with the Audigy. This is really the only issue I have with Via boards.

Having said that I dont bear grudges and I'm always looking for the best performing board at the time so if KT600 offers that then i'm willing to give Via another shot.

17. Thomas887

Thomas887 Member

I agree with your very last statement. Anyone whois loyal to one brand only is a fool.

The via/creative problem was gone years ago and should be pretty much non-existant. I think you might have had another pci card screwing with things. Thats what causes most of those problems - I think. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes thats wrong :)......in my case.

In the past I have tried every single fix known to man and it always comes down to one factor - Audigy and prior to that SB Live card, although its a lot less prominant with the Audigy. I have tried everything trust me on that one - even getting the system back down to the very basics and also trying just the Audigy and even playing around with slots and irq's. Some of these solutions work better than others and I found out to minimise it on Via boards I use slot 3.

19. Thomas887

Thomas887 Member

heh, i had a sb live in my old a7v266-e.

never had nay major issues. Only driver issues:rolleyes:

I did have poor sound, but i looked directly at the acual sound card for that....

Using the sb live on my new nf7-s doesnt improve its sound.

The onboard soundstorm is OK, but not audigy standard.

But i am enjoying the lack of pci cards:p

20. Ozmund

Ozmund Member

anyone got some good reviews on the board yet?