1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Label printers

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Drew_, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Drew_

Drew_ Member

I'm trying to find a label printer to suit our needs and I'm having some difficulty.

We are looking to print shipping labels which aren't a problem.

The issue is that we need to have labels printed for the stock we keep on hand, which ordinarily wouldn't be a problem but the labels need to be colored rather than just plain white.

I've looked at Dymo and Brother label printers which with the exception of very small labels are only available in white.

Is it possible to get non genuine colored labels in a variety of colors for either Dymo or Brother?

Or shall I be looking at a different kind of label printer? Ideally something under $300

2. Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Member

Dunno if this helps, we are a pharmaceutical company and we ship out thousands of items a day, these are a bit more commercial grade printers, but they might offer more entry level ones.. check them out at http://www.zebra.com/

3. yoda123

yoda123 Member

What is the reasoning behind colour labels ? Seems quite unusual.

Considered just sticking on a coloured "dot" sticker ? If you are using labelers such as Brother / Dynamo sounds like you are not doing any serious quantities.

4. OP
    OP
    Drew_

Drew_ Member

Primarily to help distinguish certain products, they have very similar and loooong part numbers; boxes are almost identical and there is a difference of about 30-70% in cost of the product.

So were looking to have the different version of a particular product be a different color to make it easier to pick.

The issue with mis shipping as that the goods are extremely heavy for their weight so shipping is a killer and obviously the customers get annoyed and it costs them a lot in time and their own reputation.

Yeah the quantities are fairly small, in fact at this stage we don't even have a label printer :S

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    Drew_

Drew_ Member

Just found a couple of sites that sell color labels for the Dymo LabelWriter 450 Twin Turbo so that might be the go then :)

6. yoda123

yoda123 Member

We have exactly the same situation here, and we just use the dot stickers and then the regular labels.

In our case it's genuine / non-genuine parts, exact same box / product code, one is just usually 50% cheaper then the other :)

7. Gecko

Gecko Member

We use a heap of the Zebra printers (the LP2844Z ones are nice for medium volume printing) - and it is possible to get different coloured stock for them.

Your profile doesn't say where you are, but I have a decent contact in Sydney who can get pretty much any label you need (we have some special requirements in our environment that they have no problems catering for) - PM me if interested.

8. OP
    OP
    Drew_

Drew_ Member

I'm in Melbourne =D

9. Opti

Opti Member

Give Peacock Bros. a shot. I get my labels and ribbon from these guys for my lil' Zebra. There in Oakleigh too.
    http://www.peacocks.com.au/

10. Yak

Yak Member

+1 for peacock bros as well.
    Also use them for support on our zebra printers. Always quick & helpful.

http://www.peacocks.com.au/prime-labels.html
    Don't know what their minimum run would be though..

Have you considered putting icons/logos on the printed labels..
    I know the shipping labels we generate have our (different) company logos incorported by the software into the label.

Yak.

11. Phool

Phool Member

bartender software for the zebra (at least the ZPL language based ones) allows you to design a schmick label and print it. Actually, you can print it to the windows print driver with the printer paused, look into the windows print spool queue and open the .shl file with notepad and see exactly all the zpl commands being sent to make it print the label. zpl commands look like "^XA^FDTEXT^FS^XZ" they are quite extensive and you can d/l the printer manual off the zebra site

Its then possible to send those commands as raw text using your whatever proprietary application to a networked zebra printer running on a linux cups print server.

At least thats what Ive discovered after about 50 hrs of experimenting and research over the last few years.

2844 and 3844 series are <1k each. 2844 uses I think EPL not ZPL (so I know squat about it). -Z models I think use ZPL (we use TLP3844ZPL with onboard print server which is worth the hassle free install and web config)

12. gwills

gwills Member

We buy a lot of lables from insignia , they are based in brisbane they make them with all different types of glue depending on if the pallets will be frozen cooled or stored in normal temps

13. Gecko

Gecko Member

ZebraDesigner Pro is a nice bit of software for designing labels (we went through a period where I had to layout about 50 different types of labels - very good package)

Insignia are pretty good from my experiences, but very pricey compared to other suppliers

14. Renza

Renza Member

I have just replaced 6 dying zebra 2844's with Samsung Bixolong SRP-770II's. the zebras were intermittently pausing, all around 5 years old.

the samsungs are good so far, they even support EPL and ZPL i think.

print maybe 500 labels a day, dunno what kind of volume you would call that