Labrador & Shedding Hair

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by walker_2003, Apr 2, 2017.

1. power

power Member

it might but here in humid qld seeing my dog go from properly panting in the heat to being comfortable was worth it. Despite what some ppl will tell you I don't agree with the whole "your dog cools via his underneath coat thing", in practice they don't. I bet winter they keep warmer but in summer here they get super hot.

mum does the same thing with her little king charles and he's so happy with his clips. It really is night and day.

2. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

So torn! :upset:

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Brush him don't clip him :p

4. power

power Member

I was throwing it out there as an option.

There are pros and cons but personally if you understand why you should or should not do it then you are making an informed choice for your pet.

5. Beanz

Beanz Member

By ridiculous, I'm assuming you mean AWESOME!

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

I clipped my pomeranian once. She was then diagnosed with some weird pomeranian "hair" disorder where her hair follicles didn't work properly.

Even with her "hair thing", her hair all grew back and she looked completely normal until she got old and died.

If you clip your dog, it will grow back. If you decide it was a mistake, there'll be no long-term issues, you just know it's not for you and her and you don't need to do it again.

Having said that, if you clip her yourself, you get a lot of fur everywhere. I keep my westie's hair short now and there's still a heap of fur every maintenance trim. You'll be replacing the ongoing furballs with a mountain at haircut time.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

He was funny to look at.....but never EVER again. He wasn't the same dog I bought, heh.

8. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

You're lucky... when our girl (choc lab) had her sides shaved for desexing, and it was right back to almost skin, took her about 8 months to grow it back.

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

Years ago, our neighbour's collie got shaved instead of trimmed (the groomers made a mistake it wasn't on purpose). He was so embarrassed, he would hide away in his spot until his hair grew back. He didn't go "back to normal" until he had his normal hairdo again.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well yeah, if you shave her completely it's gonna take twice as long! Least it grows back, and the main thing was getting her desexed :thumbup:

11. Foolio

Foolio Member

My lab sheds 24/7 non stop. I tried various combs and brushes but it's a losing battle and he hates being brushed. Cheeky Lab he is!

I just now vacuum the house a couple of times a week with a portable Dyson which makes the job easy.

Wash him once a week as he goes swimming on the weekends and rolls around on the grass at the park.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Mine loves it, or more probably just the attention.......but only problem is he likes to move around when he gets brushed.....which is annoying.

13. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Our lab girl loves being brushed (luckily).

Even more amazing is she loves being blow dried with her pet hair dryer (yes yes .. I know .. she's spoilt and has more fur care products than I hair care).

I "blame the missus" for that... :Paranoid::shock::tongue:;)

14. Recharge

Recharge Member

try a Maremma cross border collie.. UGH!
    and the stupid undercoat is what sheds, it's like gossamer, it gets stuck in almost anything material, it's a bloody nightmare.

I'm currently vacuuming every three days just to keep the hair banks from getting too large.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well as long as she is the one taking care of the dog then that's fine ; )

16. brettmo86

brettmo86 Member

We've got 2 labs and we've lost the battle. We just vacuum/sweep every 2nd day.
    I've been told by 2 different vets never to shave a lab, they said their coat actually helps keep them cooler in summer.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes, this is what I've been told re GR's also. They have the two layer coat which protects in all conditions.

18. broccoli

broccoli Member

They've got those brushing gloves on special at Aldi this Saturday.

19. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

cheers I might have to grab some

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

I just had a better look at the specials, the second picture on the ad for the dog accessories, the double-pin comb is also very good at getting hair out. Do you already have one? If not, grab one of those as well.