Labtech\RMM Software

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by ex4n, Dec 16, 2015.

1. ex4n

ex4n Member

Anyone got experience with Labtech? I don't have specific questions, just curious if anyone is using it successfully? What about MAX RemoteManagement?

We're currently evaluating options, looking to manage around 200+ windows servers and 1500ish workstations. Don't need anything crazy, just basic management of windows boxes. I am especially interested in having good reporting options though, monthly reports for clients are always well received etc. I don't care if I need to use a few different niche products which do one thing well, happy to look at all options.

Just curious what others in similar positions are using? Any suggestions of things to look at?
    Feel free to throw links at me, if this has been discussed before.

2. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

take a look at naverisk as well.
    I don't have handson experience with labtech, but from memory, the pricing for naverisk was more competitive, and definitely more competitive than kaseya or n-able.

happy to show you a live naverisk if you want (I can probably also show you live kaseya and live n-able but I don't have as much access there)

3. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Cheers, would love a look at something if you can manage it.
    Checking out Naverisk now, looks pretty cool.

Ultimately will come down to how easy to use it is, and how well it does the basics. We already have Connectwise for ticketing and billing, which is unlikely to change.

edit: been checking out the videos on naverisk, does look good, but would it work as well if I wasn't using it for ticketing or billing etc?
    Maybe I am after something which is less of a 'complete package' and just does monitoring well.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  4. scips

scips Member

We run labtech for 250+ clients (nfi on server/workstation count, id hazard maybe 800+ and 4000+?)

Tie in with CW is good auto gen monitoring tickets etc.

Whats the key things you are looking for in an RMM tool?

5. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

We have labtech at the moment, but it's never been configured properly, and nobody really knows how to set it up right. I've had a look at it and it's not that intuitive which is why we are shopping around.

Ideally for computers, we want to be able to monitor things like resources, services, AV, updates, offline agents. Remote assist\login with screenconnect is great, which we do like. Batch management of workstations, control over updates. Management of other assets such as printers, UPS, NAS. Nothing fancy, just simple monitoring and reporting.

We already use nagios and have some netflow stuff setup but I don't mind the overlap.

If I can get labtech to do what we want, then we would probably stick with it, but I have no experience with it until recently and haven't had a lot of luck finding good resources for it. Have you been involved in the configuration of monitors\scripts\alerts? Imagine we are starting from scratch, because that feels like a better idea to me right now. If you know of any good resources, I would be keen to have a look.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  6. scips

scips Member

Nothing on the config side for me, we have a dedicated guy who is the labtech guru for the company, thought about getting a consultant in to help before you go through the shitstorm of switching products?

7. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

I looked at N able earlier this year and for windows it looked good, for network devices/anything snmp it was shit. But supposedly after i told them it was shit and I went with something else they have started adding the features that were missing.

8. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

I use it with Autotask. The billing and ticket management isn't at the same level as something like CW/AT yet. Pretty sure they have integration ith connectwise/

the ticket handling between at/naverisk isn't brilliant.. but it works

9. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

oh, you'll continue to hear from them every 4-6 months for ever.
    asking if you're interested in attending their roadtrips, or usergroup meetings, or whatever..

To be fair though, they n-able university material is pretty good

10. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

Yeah I had a call last week ~ 6 months after I went elsewhere

11. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

What did you end up going with? It could be worth a look :)

12. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

PRTG. Does what we need and more.

13. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Might be an option, I don't think it can be that hard though, if it is, then we probably don't want it as we can't pay someone to look after it forever.

Looks like it does integrate with connectwise, I thought we might be stuck with their own ticketing system. Might be back in contention :) Cheers!

Cheers, will take a look at that today.

edit: Just got myself logged in to the labtech university, probably the first place I should have looked for resources.
    http://www.labtechsoftware.com/it-providers/services/training/university
    Will try and work through some of this stuff, time permitting, and see how I go.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  14. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

We use LT and CW in tandem, 200+ servers and then assorted seats.

Manage anything you care to name tbh. I've found nothing lacking in LT yet. Although, you really need a good scripting guru to make the most of it.

The Apple error reporting is a bit annoying though, keeps warning for drive space on no longer existing volumes (like USB drives that have long since been removed) on quite a few consumer macbooks.

But it's perfectly adequate for Windows and Linux boxes.

15. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Thanks mate, good to know that there are a couple of you out there who are using it, and are happy with it. Seems like it has a bit of a steep learning curve but once setup, it's easy to use. We don't have said scripting guru as above, but I'm half decent at *some* stuff, and other guys are decent at other stuff, so we should be able to get to a point where it's working well for us.

Part of the problem we have is that it was half implemented, then that guy left, then someone else took over ConnectWise, but nobody has done anything with labtech for 18 months. Now it's come to me, so I'm going to give it a proper go.

I've been working through the university stuff, which is basic, but has filled in a few blanks.
    Also found this today too which looks decent so far.
    http://www.labtechgeek.com/forum/index.php

16. ECHO

ECHO Member

We use this. We joined up about 3 or so years ago about 6-12 months after we had finally got used to Connectwise. It's pretty basic but it does the job so it was an easy choice for us to jump into.

We're at about 175 servers and 850 workstations.

17. neoprint

neoprint Member

We're running CW/LT.

It's great if you have someone who knows what they're doing to set it up properly.

Labtech is a bit clunky, but now it has ScreenConnect integration the remote support is a hell of a lot smoother than it was before with VNC. Connects straight away instead of anything up to 30 seconds waiting for it to connect where you've either got an awkward silence on the phone with the client or you have to drum up a conversation.

We've got plugins for it so we can check warranty status, check ShadowProtect logs without having to log into the machine, take care of updates etc, it's incredibly handy. But this stuff all has to be set up.

As someone has already mentioned, it may be worth getting a consultant in to take care of it for you?

18. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

We use GFI RMM. Have never dealt with anything else to be honest, but if what you're after is the following, it seems to work quite well:

Remotely access managed machines - you pretty easily access all your managed machines via the Dashboard, it uses Team Viewer (although a cutdown version) but works pretty much identical to Team Viewer.

Managed Anti-Virus - again, all managed through the dashboard. You setup policies and apply them to machines/sites/clients and it's all automated.

Windows and Application Updates - similar to WSUS and again, managed through the Dashboard. You can setup automatic approvals for certain updates, schedules etc. Seems to work well for the most part.

Web Filtering - A somewhat-recent addition, again managed through the dashboard, you can enable Web Protection per machine, site, client and basically it allows you to block certain types of traffic (social media, pr0nz, alcohol, etc.)

Monitoring/Checks - There's a bunch of checks and stuff you can configure. We've left it fairly primitive here, but you can even implement your own scripts and stuff.

Asset Management - Probably fairly basic, but you can see a bunch of valuable information on all your managed machines. We used this for example one time to view all PC's at a client site and identify all those which needed a RAM upgrade (i.e. Less than 4GB)

Reporting - Does a bunch of reports, including a monthly client report like you asked.

There's also a few other neat features, there's a 'Remote Background' feature for example which allows you (via the Dashboard) to start up a remote cmd.exe session, process control list to view/end processes and even a remote services.msc to start/stop/restart services - it's pretty cool. A bunch of other stuff too.

Pricing for everything too is pretty good. Everything is handled via a single dashboard, you just install an agent on the machines you wish to manage which can be done via GPO.

We've been using them for maybe 18 or so months now and they have been progressively improving their product and tend to constantly have things in the works

Our requirements though aren't all that complicated. We mostly just use the platform for managed AV, performing updates and remotely accessing the machines.

Our requirements however are admittedly rather primitive, but I'd say it's definitely worth a look. :thumbup:

19. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

Thanks ECHO, we're trying it out now, took me about 15 mins to setup on 10 or so servers and configure daily\weekly checks. Getting a bit of spam which I am going to have to work out how to deal with. Especially the performance monitors. Any tips for this? Otherwise it looks good, but the pricing is a a lot more than we are paying for labtech, so will see how negotiable it is.

Cheers, agree labtech would be good if we had someone who could sit there all day and tweak it. We are a team of about 6 guys though, don't have the resources for that. It is so much better since they switched to screen connect, but that's about its only redeeming feature right now.

I have no idea how much getting a labtech pro\consultant in to help us out would cost, any ideas? I think i'd prefer something we can manage ourselves as we would not make a lot of money paying someone constantly to help us out.

Thanks this sounds pretty cool too, will check out pricing and compare against MAX and a few others we're considering, but so far MAX is in the lead I think. The web filtering sounds interesting, i think we can currently do this via mailguard but we don't pay for it, and i believe it requires configuring a proxy to run via mailguard.

Our requirements are not much for now, we are new to this kind of monitoring, but I am sure we will grow with whatever solution we go with and our requirements will evolve, so the more feature rich, potentially the better, but cost is a factor too.

Also curious about any custom monitors you guys have implemented, things you might not think of straight away, and obviously not included out of the box. I've been listing key services and executables which need to be running to be added for some clients. What do you guys monitor other than the basics? Disk space, updates, AV, offline etc.

One thing I struggle a bit with is the performance monitors, the threshold may be set a bit low by default as some of our servers are pinging alerts constantly. Will have to do a bit more research into how to deal with these alerts.

Another thing we will have to learn to do is adapt to the flow of emails\alerts which will be generated, I've received over 1500 emails\alerts in about a week for 10-12 servers.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  20. Kodaz

Kodaz Member

We use Naverisk and find it great. Much cheaper than the competition and their service is great. we get rung up quarterly for 1 hour technical sessions as part of the price. Couldn't be happier.