Lake Gairdner - Salt Lake Speed Week

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by bevanbraves, Mar 2, 2010.

1. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Anyone else going to the 20th Anniversary Speed Week at Lake Gairdner?

This is salt lake racing against the clock. For the faster cars/bikes its a 5 mile runup then 5 miles of timed area and a 5 mile slowdown area.

Many categories of bikes and cars going for land speed records.

Starts Monday 8th through until the thursday or friday (depending on if cars/bikes are still mobile). Closest place to camp is at the lake or Mt Ive. There are two spectator areas and pit access.

2. Zee

Zee Member

Have been toying with entering this with a friend. If you look hard, there are some records there that are pretty easy to break - or at least used to be.

Not this year though.

Z...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Well i'm heading over for a look. Might take some pics and post them up more for interest sake.

4. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Would be an interesting experience. Make sure you take some photos and dont forget the CPL !! it will be VERY reflective

5. OP
    OP
    bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Yeah, looking forward to the drive out there, camping. Theres some varied landscapes around as well so plan to capture some red rocks leading into white salt lakes. As well as some of the cars/bikes/racing.

+1 for the CP

+1 for sunshelter, sunglasses, water etc.

+1 beers

Pretty much a full moon so some star trails might be out of the question.

6. John_Boy

John_Boy Member

If you go and don't take any photos to share on here, I will be most disappointed! Will be going to this event next year, can't this year as our club has it's Hotrod show on the same weekend so have to stay for that. The father in law went last year and he still hasn't shut up about it, reckons he had a blast! Are you going solo or going to crew for a team?

7. OP
    OP
    bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Going over as a family. I wanted to get out to one of SA's salt lakes, was planning something in April but then found out the races are on next week so brought it forward.

50% to see the area. 50% to see the cars/bikes. Hoping to get pictures of each but not really sure what to expect.

Either way, looking foward to camping.

8. Zee

Zee Member

I'm looking forward to your pics :thumbup:

Z...

9. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

A couple of my friends are on their way from Perth, with a turbo Hayabusa pushing out 400+hp. They are hoping for 400km/h.

Look out for the nicely turned out matte black bike, James Tyson is the owner/rider.

10. OP
    OP
    bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Bucketing down rain here ... 100-200km from Lake G. I havent been able to find out if its raining at Mt Ive or Lake Gairdner. Or if the roads are even open. Pushing on tomorrow to the start line, see whats going on.

11. OP
    OP
    bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

I' back.

And it looks like ugbox is down. I'll need to find a way of posting pictures.

12. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

So you got some photos and the event went ahead ?

13. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

www.ocau.com/pix

14. emmavorwerk

emmavorwerk New Member

I would love to know what’s going on in Lake G, my Dad is racing a truck there it is purple with yellow flames on it, you can’t miss it.
    I am in Dubai so am feeling very isolated, it is a big deal for my Dad so I would love to know what is going on.
    He will be devastated if it rained out again. Please keep me posted.

15. oculi

oculi Member

funny, i'm just leaving Dubai, sittiing in the abu dhabi airport now.

looking forward to going back to a country that doesn't block flickr!

16. OP
    OP
    bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

No racing monday. Some practice runs late tuesday afternoon and some "proper runs" very late tuesday but they had timing difficulties. So real "time trials" didnt start until 7am wednesday morning. Wind was up (cross winds) and causing bike riders some worry.

I've got some pics - just happy snaps. Nothing artsy, enough to give you a feel for the place. Working on resizing now.

Thanks for the link.

Yep, big truck, purple, yellow flames, smoke coming out hte twin roof exhausts? got a pic i reckon, maybe even your dad with the truck, cept i didnt have him sign an "ok to display my image on the internet form" :)

Also got a pic of the Hayabusa.

17. OP
    OP
    bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Pic of truck, attached. I have to head out this morning. Full story and pics late today i hope.

Click to view full size!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
  18. Clem

Clem Member

I went 10 years ago, was good, got there late and some cars were gone already.
    The guys running the cars are friendly as. Let us get in and look all over the joint.
    Plenty of Americans the time I went..

19. OP
    OP
    bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Drove out to Mt Ive station very early monday morning. Racing was due to start after lunch somtime. Surrounding areas had received 50-60mm of rain during Sunday. The dirt roads were in pretty good shape on the way through Iron Knob out to Mt Ive and Lake G.

Mt Ive station in the foreground, camp ground center frame.

Click to view full size!

On arrival at Mt Ive was told racing wouldnt start until late Tuesday at the earliest - providing there was no more rain. They had received 3mm on the sunday and it was enough to put a thin layer of water on the edges of the lake. This was OK, gave us the afternoon to drive around the station and get our first look at the lake. Red rocks, white salt lake - as advertised.

Click to view full size!

Woke up Tuesday, to rain (doh!), and a rainbow. Would there be racing?

Click to view full size!

Headed out to the Lake again Tuesday arvo. We could hear some cars/bikes making some passes but they were not visable from the carpark/canteen area.

In years gone by they had one track, and for many years struggled to have enough running cars to make any of the days busy. In recent years car/bike numbers have really picked up. Last year they had line ups of competitors to use the track. So much so, this year they had a short (slow) track for competitors up to 200mph (i think). Faster than that, and you could use the long (fast) track (5 mile runup, 5 mile timed section in 1ml increments, 5 miles to slow down).

Headed out to the pits area to see what was going on. This is the view back to the canteen and carpark area. Cars not allowed on the lake. Competitors only.

If you were looking to compare 4WDs, this was the show to be at. Just walk along and you could see any 4WDs you wanted parked next to each other.

Click to view full size!

The pits area was about 300m from the carpark in the middle of the lake.

Click to view full size!

You could walk the pits, get your photo taken. Kids loved the truck. Brmm brmm. Bellowing smoke.

Click to view full size!

Was looking specifically for the 400HP Hayabusa. I didnt know what it looked like. Found some bikes in the lineup and asked about a Hayabusa? Yep, what colour was i looking for? Black? Yep, thats one behind you (OK then!).

Not the one i wanted. Matt Black? Hmmm, no. Plenty of bikes here though so keep looking. Its from Perth? Still not ringing any bells. 400HP? Hahahhaha ... no, wait, i HAVE seen that bike. Its a big lake though and could be anywhere.

Later on a guy heard i was looking for it, came up and pointed me in the right direction.

Click to view full size!

Spoke to two guys. They had made two passes Wednesay when racing really took off because the lake had mostly dried. Only problem now, the wind which had dried the lake was making it difficult for bikes. Sounds like the first 2 runs had gone well and they were looking to do 300kph+ assuming the wind calmed down.

Cycling competitors through was slow. They were still some 10 or so runs from being called up so i wasnt on the lake to see them run. I dont know if they got to 400kph.

I'll troll through some other pics and might add more later. Hope this gives you some idea of the event.

20. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

haha, that's them, cheers mate!

We haven't heard much from them, can't wait to hear about it when they get back.