Lamb Backstrap with Broad Beans and Bacon

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by kingjam, Oct 31, 2010.

1. kingjam

kingjam Member

I stopped into a farmers market yesterday for the first time in ages. One of my favourite foods - Broad Beans for sale - super fresh and good enough to eat raw, I won't lie - there is a fair bit of work involved but that glistening green end result is worth it.

So to start, pod your beans - easy enough, especially with a nice cold beer to hand, just sit there watching TV and get them done.

Click to view full size!

End result will be a pile of beans :p I don't mind eating them at this point but taking the extra step and removing the next layer of skin gets to the super delicious inner bean.
    To make it easier, blanch them in boiling water for 3 minutes and then shock them in ice water.

Click to view full size!

Roughly chop some bacon and some garlic (another purchase at the farmer's market yesterday. So much better than that Mexican shit)

Click to view full size!

Season up the backstrap with a little salt and pepper and let it wait.

Click to view full size!

Fry the bacon off to the crispiness of your liking. Add the garlic and some chilli flakes.

Click to view full size!

Get another pan nice and hot and sear the backstraps. I like mine fairly rare, the missus not so much.

Click to view full size!

Once the meat is cooked to your liking, remove from the heat and allow to rest. Add the beans to the bacon at this point and saute for a couple of minutes.

Click to view full size!

Plate it up and enjoy

Click to view full size!

2. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Mmmm, that looks awesome. Thanks for the broad bean tip. I normally steam mine first and then pod them ... so my beans end up pale and sometimes overcooked.

3. OP
    OP
    kingjam

kingjam Member

Yeah, especially when they're this fresh, the less you can do to them the better.

Really though - nothing wrong with the frozen ones - and a lot less effort.

4. PaulysVision

PaulysVision Member

*Drool* yummo, thanks for the tips.

5. tHiNg

tHiNg Member

Are frozen ones peeled do you know (obviously they are podded)?

I used to have broad beans loads as a kid, usually with a cheese sauce iirc. But my Mum only ever podded them, never peeled the beans themselves.