Lamb Loin Eye - Detailed guide :)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by ricee007, May 21, 2011.

1. ricee007

ricee007 Member

Lamb Loin Eye

Howdy, I found a ‘weight-watches’ recipe involving a bean salad and a lamb back... so I thought I’d modify it, so that it was awesome.

This is how I rolled.
    Serves 1 big eater

Lamb.
    Ingredients:
    250gmLamb Loin Eye - Bloody expensive, but the nicest cut of lamb available. Obviously, if you can’t get your hand on this, any other type of lamb will do. I used Thomas Farms from Foodland for $43/kg, and I would recommend it in a heart-beat.
    2 long or 3 medium pieces of prosciutto
    Rosemary

0. Preheat oven to 170 degrees fan forced.
    0B. Wait 5 minutes.
    1. Spray a tiny touch of oil onto your frying pan.
    2. Heat frying pan to medium-high.
    3. Sprinkle rosemary in the pan
    4. Place lamb in the pan for 60 secs -> not longer
    5. Turn to the other side
    6. After 60 secs, remove from the frying pan
    7. Cut it up into 6, circa 40gram, portions (1 inch thick?)
    8. Cut the long side of fat off your prosciutto
    9. Cut prosciutto so that you can wrap it around (or over if you are lazy) each portion of lamb
    10. Place in oven for 6 minutes and 30 seconds
    11. Remove from the oven.
    12. Serve

Mashed pumpkin
    Ingredients:
    Half a small butternut pumpkin
    Pepper
    Butter

1. Boil water in a saucepan
    2. Peal pumpkin
    3. Dice pumpkin 1 inch by 1 inch rough pieces is fine, smaller if you want
    4. Put diced pumpkin in boiling water
    5. Stir occasionally
    6. When it is very soft, drain all the water out.
    7. Add pepper to taste
    8. Add a nice knifeful of butter – more or less, depending on if you have heart trouble or not yet.
    9. Get a masher and mash it (I don’t mash it much, as I like a bit of texture. It only takes me about 15 seconds, and that is more to mix the butter in)
    10. Serve

Orange

Ingredient:
    Very ripe, totally juicy, naval orange.
    1. Cut in half, not through the navel
    2. Cut into thin triangles
    3. Ideally, peel.
    4. Serve circa four thin pieces

Golden Roast Potatoes
    Ingredients:
    A medium-large potato
    Salt
    Extra virgin oil

0. Preheat oven to 210 degrees fan forced
    1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil
    2. Peel potato skin off and cut into halves
    3. Place into the water
    4. Slight stir occasionally, at least until the water bubbles enough to move the potatoes by itself
    5. After circa 15 minutes when it is a LITTLE bit tender, drain the water from the saucepan, and give the potatoes a light-medium shake in the (otherwise) empty saucepan
    6. Layer 0.5cm thick of extra virgin oil in a baking tray
    7. Place oiled tray oven for 2 minutes, then remove from the oven
    8. Place the two potato halves into the baking tray
    9. COVER in salt and roll the potatoes in the oil a bit
    10. Place the tray back in the oven
    11. After 15 minutes, turn the potato halves around a bit, to get another ‘side’ resting in the oil
    12. Remove when they are crispy enough  another 20 minutes?
    13. Serve.

Notes:
    Very, very, very tasty. Especially the lamb. The prosciutto wrapped lamb and orange went oh so AMAZINGLY well.

You could try ruby red grapefruit, or sweet potato mash? Even a cous cous with a bit of saffron / spices might be alright.

It is easy to ‘double’ this recipe if you want to serve more than one… but, honestly, I am a BIG eater… and by the time I ate half an orange (including whilst cutting it up ;) ), a large potato, half a butternut pumpkin and 300grams of meat…. I really wasn’t hungry. You could easily serve two by doing, say, 350 grams of lamb and 2 potatoes. Perhaps throw some green peas in the microwave for better colour as well?

Comments:
    Yes, my plating up skills suck.... but, again, I was only cooking for myself, so meh.
    No, I didn't peel my potato... but, last time I did golden roast potatoes, I did... and it was better.

Pics or it didn't happen?

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4534/img2816o.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8182/img2818b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
  2. scon

scon Member

Looks yummy... your pics are HUUGE though!

3. twinhardballers

twinhardballers Member

looks awesome, i love lamb dishses and make them pretty often,

i might try this dish, with some iberico jamon instead of prosciutto, which would possibly take it off the deep end

4. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Looks good!

250gm of lamb is one serve! Or two serves if you are a girl :)

5. OP
    OP
    ricee007

ricee007 Member

Everyone:
    Cheers, it (obviously) is fairly simple to make.... but, really tasty for the effort required.

Effort:Taste -> 'Excellent'
    Time:Taste -> 'Excellent'
    Price:Taste -> 'Very great'
    Healthiness:Taste -> 'Very great'

Yea, I'm just getting into my lamb... finding it really nice, and fairly versatile.

The prosciutto was 'only' from the service deli @ Foodland.... so I definitely wouldn't mind getting an even better piece of ham from the markets or somewhere. Iberico Jamon would probably be a fantastic choice..... it needs to be nice and salty, full of flavour.

I've had some awesome ham, esp. in Madrid.... but the best ham I've had at was at La Trattoria on King William Street, Adelaide on their antipasto plate last month. Not sure what it was, but, I have a sneaking suspicion it may have been Iberico Jamon.

6. WackOh

WackOh Member

this dish was AWESOME

though i did unintentionally alter it a bit (began cooking even when i was extremely unprepared not to mention forgetting some steps lol)

1. i forgot to slice the lamb after taking it off the pan so placed it in the oven for a minute before i realised so i took it out and made 1 inch cuts 3/4 down the loin rather than all the way so that the whole loin was still intact
    2. seeing as i didnt cut all the way i obviously forgot about the prosciutto as well lol so after 5.5 more minutes in the over i took the loin out and placed the prosciutto slices on top of the lamb and back into the over for another 5 minutes
    3. the lamb was probably still a bit too rare for me anyway so the 11 minutes all up for the lamb in the oven turned out to still be fine for me

ill be trying this again soon for sure and this time ill wrap the lamb with the prociutto before placing in the oven :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    ricee007

ricee007 Member

Seems like you had ab it of trouble wackoh, but glad it worked out well in the end :)

As to cooking time, yea, I imagine 11 minutes will still leave it as quite rare. Especially if you took it out of the oven a couple of times during those 11 minutes.

I'd be 'worried' about cooking it for more than 15 minutes though...