Lamb Shoulder

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by hsvguy, Oct 20, 2013.

1. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Hi Guys,

Just finished up a lamb shoulder slow roast which turned out an absolute treat, the sauce was the hero of the dish and lifted the meat to another level. I'll let the pictures do the talking here!

Recipe from Jamie Oliver with a couple of differences, his sauce was a mint and caper, I left those out.

Ingredients:

Click to view full size!

Method: Quarter 2 peeled onions, smash about 10 garlic cloves, grab a hunk of rosemary, a crack of pepper and salt, and add it to the bottom of the pan. This serves as the base for the lamb.

Click to view full size!

Next, cut some slits in the lamb, stuff with a clove of garlic, salt and pepper generously and a touch of olive oil just to get the meat started. Add it on top of the base, and top with more rosemary, garlic cloves and the juice of 1 lemon. Throw them in too for good measure. I would suggest removing them after the first few hours once the lemon has cooked out of them.

Click to view full size!

Cover with a double layer of foil sealed tightly, and put in a preheated oven turned up to the max (only 230 for me). Immediately turn it down to 150c, and expect to cook from 5 hours onward.

2 Hours in.

Click to view full size!

3 hours in. I took the lemons out at this stage to avoid them turning bitter.

Click to view full size!

5 1/2 hours. Meat is done and ready to rest. Bones out nice and clean

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Placed the meat in a double wrap foil layer for approx 20mins to 1/2 hour.
    In the meantime, add some stock/water to the pan, and over a low heat, take all that vegemitey deliciousness off the bottom of the pan, smash the garlic cloves into the sauce aswell. Strain through a siv into a pan, and scoop off the fat with a spoon whilst heating. The result is an incredibly yeasty vegemitey sauce which I added a bit of gravy mix with purely to take the edge off. If I was making this for rolls I wouldnt have bothered and just mixed the entire sauce through the meat.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Remove the meat from the foil after 1/2 an hour, and using 2 forks watch as it falls apart to awesomeness. Add half the sauce to the meat, stir through. Reserve the rest for serving.

Click to view full size!

Serve with hot mash and your choice of vegetables. Would also be awesome in soft rolls, or even "pork buns".

Click to view full size!

Hope you enjoyed as much as I did!!!

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Oh yum, yes please :thumbup:

3. pugsley

pugsley Member

Mmm lamb shoulder *Drools

4. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Wow, those last couple of pics look AWESOME.

I've done a lamb leg in the slow cooker a couple of times, but I've never tried a shoulder roast.
    Definitely on the agenda, with that sauce/gravy to go with. :)

5. scon

scon Member

I've made this recipe a few times and it's amazing, make sure you use a bone-in shoulder for it!

6. nurple

nurple Member

Tried this tonight but with a different cut of lamb. Still turned out bloody good :thumbup:

Cheers

7. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Would be interesting to see what happens to this in a slow cooker, i'm guessing you'd have alot more liquid to contend with at the end though.

8. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Probably, but you would just drain it or use it for a gravy.

9. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Last time i did it with a leg roast, I wound up with about the same level of liquid left ...

Similar proportions of marinade; chilli-infused EVOO, fresh lemon zest/juice/slices, fresh garlic cloves, rosemary sprigs, chopped chilli, ground pepper/salt etc...

Reduced to a nice gravy, but probably didn't have that yeasty Umami goodness that OP's gravy has. :)

EDIT: Distinctly aware that my sig quote is completely inappropriate when posting in the food forum.
    [REDACTED]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  10. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  11. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

^^ Holy crap, look at all that meat!! ^^

Nice collection of grills/smokers in the background too.
    Several grand's worth of BBQ hardware there I'd imagine... :shock:
    Only a small bit jealous. :)

12. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

10's of thousands ;)
    wait untill you see the new one thats in on its way to Australia :)

13. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Bone-in shoulder + shank in the oven now. Decided against using the crock as I need it for a topside roast that I grabbed on special at Coles for $10/kg... that will be pan seared then slow-cooked in a North African spice rub with a view to eating on sammiches or maybe salads (like an exotic Pastrami or whatever :))

Shoulder marinated 24hrs in (combined beforehand) 1/2 cup EVOO, 2 cloves fresh garlic finely chopped, 2 sprigs fresh rosemary finely chopped, zest/juice of 1 fresh lemon, dash of white wine vinegar, 2 tbsp Gourmet Garden 'Mediterranean Seasoning' (minced Basil/Oregano/Bell Pepper/Garlic), dash of habanero hot sauce and cracked pepper/salt.

Placed in Roasting Pan on onion/garlic/lemon under double layer of foil as OP suggests, started at 230C immediately reduced to 90C.

We'll see how the thermometer looks before bed, and again in the morning. :)

EDIT: Coming along nicely, will take some pics tomorrow.

Click to view full size!

Pretty bloody awesome. :D
    Some of the outside shank meat got a little dry from the long cook, but it's mostly just juicy and delicious.
    The pan-juice sauce is a winner. I added some home-made chicken/veg stock to mine - carrot/celery chunks and all - then reduced quite a bit before straining/skimming and stirring through the lamb.

EDIT 2: Ended up with a couple of really nice lamb sangers; mayo, roma tomato, rocket, tasty cheddar and cracked pepper on fresh soy/linseed loaf.
    Reheated the rest in a slow oven tonight with a good glug of smokey BBQ and chipotle sauce, served with creamy mash and mushrooms/zucchini oven-roasted in EVOO and Balsamic vinegar.
    Went down a treat, will definitely cook again. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  14. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Making this again today but doing a bark coating this time and cooking it uncovered.

Will post pics later.

15. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Lamb shoulder from Friday/Saturday cook :)

HEAPS of garlic, rosemary and salt.
    [​IMG]

11.5hours in.
    [​IMG]

Forgot a finished shot but 15 hours of cooking and 1 hour rest then this...
    [​IMG]

16. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Looks awesome mate, mine came up ace as well, will get pictures posted up asap

17. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

Done lamb a few times over the last month
    [​IMG]

18. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

This was an on the fly decision made at the shops to do this, hence the packaged ingredients. Still came out awesome however. There was a heap leftover so nest night I reduced some beef stock with garlic and rosemary, and added the meat and cooked until the liquid reduced. Missus said it was the best lamb she'd ever had :confused:

Also for anyone new to this, you can't even taste the mustard at all, so don't be frightened to use it if your not a fan of mustard.

Click to view full size!

Slathered in mustard and 'erbs.

Click to view full size!

5 hours in the oven, 1/2 hour rested in foil.

Click to view full size!

Shredded!!

Click to view full size!

Rolled!!!

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  19. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

what internal temp are you guys aiming for?

20. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

I was told 190F but I've never made it to that as it's taken 14hr20 and 15hr to reach 187F which was easy to pull anyway. A senior BBQ guy on another forum said that as long as it hits 85C/185F and stays there for a decent period of time then it'll be done.