1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lamb Shoulder

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by hsvguy, Oct 20, 2013.

1. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Cooking in an inside oven I don't even bother with checking temps.

2. dslazar

dslazar Member

I copied your lamb shoulder and mine turned out awesome! It was the highlight at a dinner party. Will definitely be cooking again!

Thanks for sharing.

3. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Good to hear mate, haven't had this in a while, been to stuck on pork belly, but may have to give it a go again soon :)

4. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

All looks great folks, I would just make the comment that the original recipe with anchovies will always give tastier results for this recipe, or lamb shanks. You will not taste the anchovies after the long and slow cook and it will enhance the taste to mega levels :)

5. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Revival, will be doing this on the weekend again, pictures will follow!!!

6. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Dammit, just bought 1.5kg of chuck for the slow cooker... should've got a lamb shoulder instead. :(

What's the going rate for bone-in shoulder these days? I haven't bought any large slow-cooking cuts for a couple of months.
    When I asked my butcher for 1.5kg of stewing beef around $10-$12 per kilo, he looked at me funny then offered chuck or gravy beef for $15.99/kg.
    And I noticed that $14-$15 per kilo seems to be standard for pork belly at the big supermarkets now.

Am I just paying Sydney tax? What's a decent average price for bone-in lamb?

7. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

My local's $12 a kilo for lamb shoulder. But I mean butchers everywhere vary wildly

8. sickbunny

sickbunny Member

i still make this recipe whenever i feel like roast lamb. best ever!

9. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Not sure if you have Tasman Meat up there but lamb forequarter (shoulder) roasts are $5.99/kg until June 1st.

10. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

Woolies is usually $10-12/kg for shoulder

butchers can be $15-20/kg

this is in Sydney

11. mmBax

mmBax Member

I think our local coles has lamb shoulders on special this week for 7 or 8 bucks a kg. I'll be stocking up again.

Love the mint/caper/vinegar sauce that Jamie Oliver and OP used.

Time for me to smoke one - shops this arv!

12. sbm888

sbm888 Member

Thanks for the recipe - did this on the weekend on my WSM

picked up a few lamb shoulders from Coles last week for $8/kg.

basically - marinated for 48 hrs with Truffle Olive Oil, rosemary, 2 onions on the bottom quartered, insane amount of crushed whole garlics, salt and pepper, bit of white wine and some lemon juice

woke up at 5am to start my WSM and temps reached 110 within 20 minutes (used a water pan with boiling water). meat was put in at around 5:45am.

used Mallee root charcoal, started with my looftlighter, and placed 2 big chunks of apricot wood for smoking.

topped up water in the water bowl at around the 12pm mark.

served at 6pm on the dot.

was one of the best lamb dishes I have ever eaten, and was demolished by the people.

1) getting all the ingredients and the lamb into the dish (glad wrapped it for 48 hrs)
    [​IMG]

2) 6 hrs in the cook
    [​IMG]

3) just before serving
    [​IMG]

4) pulling time - nom nom nom
    [​IMG]

13. mmBax

mmBax Member

My god that looks delicious.

Not cooked to temp or anything? Just until the bone was loose? I might bust mine into some marinade this afternoon preparing for a wednesday/thursday cook.

14. sbm888

sbm888 Member

nah, i figured 12 hrs would be fine - I've done lots of cooks on my WSM with different types of meat, so timing by weight is all I use now.

as long as the WSM was cruising along around 110-120 for the entire 12 hours, it works fine for me.

15. mmBax

mmBax Member

Just did one today, woke up early but I had high temps most of the morning, took it off after around 8 hours.

Pic

Looks like a raw piece of meat in the pic. I just gave it a quick splash with some Worcestershire and a little vinegar prior to wrapping. It's been resting a while. My biggest problem is I don't know what I'm having it with. Was leaning towards polenta and veg or something like that.

Shredded

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  16. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Making this recipe tonight, except for one change, i'm using a goat shoulder :thumbup:

17. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Will have to try this - the missus is Japanese and most of them find Lamb "to stinky" and won't eat it but with all that rosemary I think I could convince her.

18. alch

alch Member

.. and this is what happens when you go through your bookmarks after ever so long...

last lamb I did was on the smoker/slow cooker back in march.. tad too dry but no one else complained, I thinks they were the scareds.. Due for another, or maybe some brisket

BlueRaven and hsvguy like this.