Lamb Tikka Curry ~From Scratch

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by mrs dan77, Jan 16, 2011.

1. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Click to view full size!

Firstly, I'm not very accurate with quantities; I recommend adding the spices to taste!!

It's also a loose interpretation, as I had to go with the ingredients I had. But boy it was tasty!

1/2 tsp cardamom seeds
    1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
    1/2 tsp fennel seeds
    1 tsp dried chilli (or to taste)

Pound together in mortar & pestle, then add in approx 50gm raw cashews and 2 tsp salt.
    Add 1/2 tsp each black pepper, cumin, sweet paprika, turmeric and mustard seeds, and 1 tsp finely chopped lemongrass.

1 kg lamb chops. (I used loin) Remove excess fat and chop into small-ish pieces, leaving the bones intact. Caramelise lamb on both sides before removing from pan. Add 1 brown onion, cut into wedges. Fry until just translucent, then add 1 heaped tsp minced ginger, 2 heaped tsp minced garlic and 2 long red chillis, finely chopped. Add the spice mix, and fry until fragrant. Add 4 tomatoes, chopped into wedges and add the lamb. Then 1 415ml can light coconut milk. (I think it's a traditional no-coconut curry, with 1/2 cup cream and water instead. I didn't have any, but this coconut milk was really mild in flavour anyway. Could probably have used evaporated milk also.)
    Cassia bark was what I used. Had a Melanesian curry on a trip to Vanuatu with cassia in it, and it was just amazing! Cassia is very similar to cinnamon, but a bit woodier, milder and less bitter. I used 3 finger-sized pieces, this might equate to 1/2 or 1 cinnamon quill. Just placed in the pot once the liquid is added. Also, 4 tablespoons each tomato paste and natural yogurt. I also added about 1 tablespoon sugar, just to help balance the sweetness. Lid on at this point, and a gentle simmer. To this was added about 50gm whole raw cashews, 300gm pumpkin in smallish chunks, and 1 sliced carrot. 20 - 30 minute simmer, after which a couple of handfuls of sugar snap peas were added. (Hardly authentic, I know, but it was that or cabbage in my fridge, and I was NOT serving a meal without green veg in it! ;))

Served with rice, pappodums, more of the natural yogurt and mint. Could have done with a squeeze of lemon juice over the top, but I didn't have any.

Soooo good! :thumbup:
    NB: there may have been spices I forgot to mention... I can't think of any more at the moment, so it should be right. Hope you enjoy!

2. RETARD

RETARD New Member

mrs dan77 i am busting to make this one
    i have never made a lamb curry before
    i think it would be as rich, smooth &delicious as it looks :thumbup:

Would you rate this as a warmer curry?

3. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Never tried making a tikka before. Must give it a try

None listed my currey bibles i.e. any of Charmain Solomon's Curry books :)

4. OP
    OP
    mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Yeah, I was keen to try lamb in a curry, in a bid to break free from chicken! Lamb has so much flavour itself, it's just begging for something to be done with it. :)

This was meant to be a medium heat curry. Unfortunately, the chillis I used had no heat whatsoever, so there was only the slightest tingle at the back of the mouth. Next time I make it, I would probably double the amount of dried chilli. But it depends on what you like, of course! Traditionally, it's a medium heat.
    Hope you enjoy!! :thumbup:

5. RavenKittie

RavenKittie Member

Yum Yum! Thank you very much :D

6. OP
    OP
    mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

No worries, hope you enjoy it.
    (And that the spices from memory were an accurate representation of what I actually put in. If it tastes terrible, I am sorry! :))