LAN Party Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by n00by, Feb 7, 2013.

1. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Very valid point, but the key word there is "assuming"...

2. STUdog

STUdog Member

lol yea, haha

I was also basing that on the switch he got from gumtree :p

3. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

i have laughed at TPLink stuff previously - and then every time I see them used in anger they keep on trucking. I think they are better then other low end brands.

4. tin

tin Member

Not meaning to turn this into a AV quality argument, but you can go a lot worse than AVG Free. We see far more problems at work (as in malware infestations) with some of the big names than we do with AVG.

Edit:
    I was quite surprised at their quality (both hardware and firmware) when we bought some test units years ago. For the price, and compared to similarly priced brands, they make a fantastic product. We've come across a few minor annoyances, but nothing a normal home or small business user would come across.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  5. STUdog

STUdog Member

And then there's always that one guy that just cannot get anything to work, nothing to connect or nothing to play. All because he is way to oversensitive with his security measures and has 3 different firewalls and AV installed. Just when you think you've got it all sorted there's always one that has no system tray icon, installs as a services and cannot remove. And to make it worse they aren't running their PC under the admin account.

6. STUdog

STUdog Member

Gotta start somewhere I guess, gosh I started off with Linksys gear

7. rubix

rubix Member

So what/where is the best way to learn how to do all of this? Besides trial and error.

8. STUdog

STUdog Member

He just explained it all in the dot points :p

9. Gecko

Gecko Member

Make sure you consider your power needs - not so bad these days (when I was lanning, everyone was using CRTs), but can still cause grief if you don't plan properly.

10. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

There is very little assumption when the OP has already made it clear in both the OP and further responses that there is a good chance that domestic gear is at the network edge (modem/router) The chances of the afor mentioned little darling packing a decent GbE switch is rather remote and then finding one with good switching capacity is even more remote. Why dive the network and force it to switch/route through a choke?
    Keep the Gateway at the edge and don't push it to do switching as well as the rest of its routing.
    Higher guest/client numbers mean that average modem/routers start working hard and the end result is latency spikes, packet loss, dropped connections and in worse case, total bricking. SOHO products for smaller events, PFSense or the likes on dedicated machines for bigger events.

You have answered the bulk of it but otherwise, you can try doing searches online but sadly, the bulk of the online content is dated and/or rather biased.
    Best way is to get along to a few bigger events yourself or get to know those of us who ADMIN them.

Extremely good point. I chose not to get into this at first as it is the wrong forum but while we are here now;
    Look at basic figures of 500W per person to cover their system, monitors and peripherals. This will give a decent safe margin but you find that inserting power meters (25 bucks at Bunnings for example) on each of your feeds and remember, just because you maybe connected to another GPO, doesn't mean it is a different circuit.
    Homework is needed here in the OP's case as he is pushing the limits of most houses with potential 20+ users.
    Quickest way to be safe, go to the switchboard, find the power breakers and kill all bar one. Now go in house and mark all working GPO's with marker that matches the mark you have just made for breaker 1. Now once done, turn off breaker one, repeat procedure for the rest. Now you will know what circuits are where and allow you to balance you load.
    If your box has fuses/fuse wire then please, get an electrician in as there is good chance the wiring is old and not best suited for the role. Most domestic houses have either a 30A or 40A feed so keep a close eye on total load as well. Keep all non-essentials turned off, no electric ovens, Microwaves, toasters, kettles, air-con and anything else heavy on juice including off-peak hot water.

Basic maths for nOObs:
    500W per guest
    20 guests X 500W = 10KW
    10KW / 240V = 41.7A

30 Guests X 500W = 15KW
    15KW / 240V = 62.5A
    Both these results are screaming DO NOT ATTEMPT without an electricians blessing.

Now, as I said, I have worked on a safe figures of 500W each but remember, you need to average. Some have bigger systems than others and/or multiple monitors.

It is for this reason, I have a dedicated 30A feed down to my back area that I host parties.

11. STUdog

STUdog Member

lol, I allow only 4-6 people per 10amp GPO

But I guess it depends what type of people the event attracts, maybe can have a power hungry area, lol

12. STUdog

STUdog Member

30A? really, I just upped my main switch to 80A, all bar the lights and 16A line is dedicated for LAN parties, LOL

13. ACAlover

ACAlover (Banned or Deleted)

Wanna hope that the electricity provider does not see that, they will cut the power and fine the ass out of you in the process.

14. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Main switch is not what governs, it is the size of the cable feed and the main fuse or pole fuse.

15. STUdog

STUdog Member

All that was checked and already rated for 80A, only thing left was my main switch which was running at 60A

16. STUdog

STUdog Member

and why is that?

17. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Goodo then.
    Most likely because it is not normal for such a large feed and made an assumption.

18. STUdog

STUdog Member

Probably,,,,,

19. Gecko

Gecko Member

Now that LCD screens are the norm, 500W is going to probably be on the high side unless they have a particularly high-spec machine. I would be comfortable allocating 300W per machine, but remember to build in a safe margin, usually the rule of thumb is to go for 80% of your circuit capacity (the last thing you want is for circuits to start popping mid-LAN).

20. STUdog

STUdog Member

let me show you this video

Not for promo or anything but go to 9min 50sec, now I know its prob a bit less due to not running at 100% efficient but it's still pretty high

Now how many people have 3 VGA cards or event 2? I test 2 580s in that system and it was a bit over 500W and that is on the PC only

That is on 1 system, 1 SSD and 3x 580s. I would say that would nearly be your avg PC these days, or at least 2 by VGAs, And the above system has no HDDS in it at all, let alone 30-40 which some ppl have

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013