LANbox Lite mod

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Syvirus, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Syvirus

Syvirus Member

[​IMG]
    So i decided to build a new desktop as im sick of laptops.... 17" screens are just so SMALL!!! However i decided id like to make a LANbox PC instead of a full tower case like i normally would.
    Now seems i have a TT LANbox lite case already i figured ill just use that and mod it a bit for better cooling as the stock cooling on the case is very inefficient imo and needs a boost and makeover :)

My plans are to go for a white/red theme White case in/out with red grill on the front with red fans, The sleeving would be red/white/black.

Mods i plan to do.

2x 120mm fans in the roof (pulling air out)
    2x 120mm fans in the perspex on the left and right side (Pulling air in)
    Roof handle for carrying
    Bottom Dvd tray removal
    Painting

The gear i decided to get for this little best:

ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z
    Intel i5 2500
    Scythe Shuriken Low Profile Cooler Rev B
    Corsair 8GB DDR3
    WD Caviar Black 500GB
    VTX3D Radeon HD6970 2GB X-Edition
    Seasonic M12II 620W
    6x Enermax UCTB12N Silence 120MM Red LED Fans

In my head i see a pretty awesome looking case however ill see how it starts to turn out over the next few days.

2. BigDave

BigDave Member

Subbed, Tt lan box owner :thumbup:

3. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

definitely subbed. I want to see how this ends :D

I might get the same case soon as i have a MSI G41M-P43, Intel E8200 and RAM laying around doing nothing :)

4. OP
    OP
    Syvirus

Syvirus Member

Well i started to do the case today tho i didnt get as much done as i wanted seems i had to go to town and also had a little accident with the hole saw :thumbdn: ( If anyone wants to buy a 121mm hole saw cheap let me know lol)

First i started to sand the case back but didnt get all that far as the sandpaper i was using wasnt good enough -,- so ended up giving that up to go to town and buy better stuff 240grid. Then came home and figured id cut the holes in the roof as i cbf sanding anymore today.

Originally i was going to use the hole saw to cut the holes but after it almost riped my arm off with a test hole i thought screw that ill use my dremmel :)
    [​IMG]

After that i figured id get the Dvd drive bay ready, I pulled that apart and pretty much chopped the top half of the top bay off as i needed the room for the fans plus wasnt going to use the top bay anyway.
    [​IMG]

As for making the bay sit in position now seems i chopped what was holding it into position before i decided ill pop rivet the bay to the front of the case by 8 rivets once the case is painted.
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow i hope to Finnish sanding and start painting but its storming here so dont know if ill get it done.

5. Humpty

Humpty Member

Sounds awesome subbed :thumbup:
    Get a i5-2500k tho, only like $15-20 more and much better for overclocking and resale value :)

6. OP
    OP
    Syvirus

Syvirus Member

They are a great looking case imo ive seen some other mATX cases and they just look ugly =/

I was going to get the K version but i have no intentions of OCing as i want to try keep this as cool as possible :thumbup:

------------------------------------------

Update time!

Well last night i decided to sand the rest of the case back and put the first 2 coats of paint on most of the parts i had pulled off seems i couldn't sleep :)
    So today i put the last coat on and started to put things back into place to see how it was going to look and i was pretty happy with the way things had turned out.

[​IMG]

The drive bay doors im still deciding what to do with them either paint them white or paint them red.... im leaning more towards white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The drive bays are pretty stable i think even tho its only held on with 5 pop rivets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the side fans i dont think ill get 2 on the right side of the case however i do believe ill be able to get 2 fans on the GFX side, Tho i have to wait till monday/tuesday when my gear shows up to measure it all.

Thoughts so far? imo i think the front mesh looks the sexiest with the white showing through the holes.

7. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Going for the retro look, huh? With that colour scheme, I really shouldn't, but I like it. :p It's almost a sleeper. :D

8. [RMS] ST1NG3R

[RMS] ST1NG3R Member

now where did my Famicon controller get too.... :tongue:

great work, very clean :thumbup:

9. GeneralDeath

GeneralDeath Member

Looking good can't wait to see the end result.

10. OP
    OP
    Syvirus

Syvirus Member

Thanks, The red is actually more brighter then it shows but i took the pics in the shade when its done ill take them in the light:thumbup:

Tomorrow ill get most of my PC gear apart from CPU cooler and fans... they should be here in the next few days, Also will be getting my side windows tho i did have to change them a bit:mad: Only the left side (GFX card side) will have 2 fans the other side MAY have some engraving (box name or something) on it and when i can get to it a 92mm fan as 2 120mm wont fit :thumbdn:booooooo!:thumbdn:
    Im also trying to get some custom fan grills made up atm tho i dont know how long thats going to take but once thats all done it should be pretty much finished.

11. Smoken

Smoken Member

looking good - mawr pics :leet:

12. 3th4n

3th4n Member

Kudos man,

This is looking great :leet:

13. OP
    OP
    Syvirus

Syvirus Member

Just a little update!

As for now for the next week or 2 its going to go SUPER SLOW!!! as i have to work at night as its spraying season for the farm so i sleep most the day :thumbdn::thumbdn::thumbdn:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also started sleeving some of the wires that need to be done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My plan now is to start sleeving my PSU/fans and also cut most of the wires on it in half so they are only as long as they need to be, in return hopefully open the case up a little more and give better air flow.

Ill try update every few days but with work for the next week i dont know how im going to get much done.

14. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

Such a big graphics card for such a little board.... lol

15. OP
    OP
    Syvirus

Syvirus Member

I know lol :Paranoid: I actually had to cut a bit more of the case just to fit it inside and be able to connect the power up:(

16. OP
    OP
    Syvirus

Syvirus Member

Finished my PSU last night :thumbup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided not to sleeve the HHD/DVD cables as you dont see them really.
    I did turn the PC on last night and damn them fans can move some air and are so silent!!! lol kind of thinking of turning the top fans around to push air in and just have the hot air forced out the back holes.

17. Redferatu

Redferatu Member

I really like where you are at so far. What is the deal with neg vs pos pressure in small cases? I would imagine pos being much better in your case.

18. TheBradl3s

TheBradl3s Member

I'm liken' this! Keen to see it finished. Subbed.

19. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Yeah I like it :thumbup:
    Good job shortening those PSU cables, they can be a tough fit in that case but once shortened and unneeded cables taken out (modular PSU FTW) it should be nice and clean :D

20. OP
    OP
    Syvirus

Syvirus Member

Thanks for the replys guys:thumbup:

Well i did sort of finnish the case however there is still couple little things needed to be done befor its 100% finnished eg Dvd face plate, fan grills, change a few cables around, right side penal and fans.

Just to be clear i cut/stabbed myself many many times while connecting stuff :( Hands and matx cases just dont mix unless you have a 6yo? kid that can connect things with their small hands haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the sad news, my ethernet port is faulty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! installed windows and it said there was no adapter found.... and the port dosnt light up when i plug it in -,-.... So now i have to pull it all out again and RMA the MB:upset:
    So yay now i have to wait god knows how long for PCCG to send me a new one but im sure it will be over a month as per usual:thumbdn: So no skyrim for me :upset: (Only reason i made this PC)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011