LANpartyINaBOX

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Gecko, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Gecko

Gecko Member

Hey everyone,

I'm considering building something like this: http://rack.modzone.dk/ for the lan that I run. We have 2 servers and 3 stacking switches (which never get split anyway).

My idea is to make a similar box so when I want to hold a LAN, I can just throw it in the back of the car and when I turn up, plug power in one end and people in the other.

I think that I should get a proper electrician to make up a sort of powerboard in it, so I can just plug one power lead in (single phase) and power up the 2 servers and 3 switches.

So comments/suggestions welcome.

Gecko

2. SteakTheMooCow

SteakTheMooCow (Taking a Break)

You could just always get a 5 port UPS or surge-protection board and incorporate that into the design... run the plug out from the back and you're done...

btw. it 404s.

And wooden box? :)

3. OP
    OP
    Gecko

Gecko Member

Try this linkage: http://rack.modzone.dk.nyud.net:8090/

Stupid slashdot effect....

I don't want to just have a lead going out the back. I was planning on getting one of those power inlet thingos so that I can plug an exension lead into it.

http://alfred.clipsal.com/scripts/apeweb.dll?Get3DModel&ID=435VF15 <-- thats what I want to get put into it.

Also, I think i'll put front and back doors on it so that i can close it up so it doesn't get damaged in transport. The back door is debatable though, not really needed.

Gecko

4. SteakTheMooCow

as nice as that is, I'm not sure it'd take that much work, but yeah, prolly worth get an electrician to do it... :)

although you'd swear there'd be an easier way to do it, like something you just plug in the cables and it works... :: shrugs ::

a lead out the back would be cheaper though :p

5. OP
    OP
    Gecko

Gecko Member

I'd get an electrician to do it

As much as it would be cheaper, having plug in the back would look 1000000x cooler i think :)

<edit> Does anyone know where I can get those rack rails from?</edit>

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  6. djzort

djzort Member

we just have a mini-cabinet with the switches in
    and our dhcp and gateway servers are laptops

7. OP
    OP
    Gecko

Gecko Member

Basically what I'm building is a minicabinet, but with rackmounting rails. Problem with goat is - all of our servers are desktops of some variety - other than one, which is currently in for repairs.

Gecko

8. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

The question is, how much do you want to spend?

Racks are easy to get, and they pretty much all come in standard sizes.
    http://www.cannononline.com.au/catalogue/c20/c36/c205

You've got a lot of options to deal with, and the stuff I linked to would be new prices, however you should be able to find second hand racks for a decent price.

Be sure to mount your equipment properly. I've seen quite a few things that have been trashed because it was only mounted from the front.

9. OP
    OP
    Gecko

Gecko Member

I was aiming to spend no more than about $100 on the case itself...

Also, I already have a rack - except its 38RU and a bit hard to move.

The prices on that link are a bit out of my price range. 2nd hand ones could be good - but I had a lot of trouble finding a 2nd hand rack for me and ended up using a favour with a guy who sells them.

Yes - I will mount it very securley - especially since its going to be moved around a lot.

Gecko

10. bradrogers

bradrogers Member

When I read the title, I thought it was about a mod incorporating all PC components into one box for easy setup/lugging at a lan. Ohwell. This idea looks good too!

11. OP
    OP
    Gecko

Gecko Member

Thats called a laptop :p

Gecko

12. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Heh, $100 on the case itself won't even pay for the materials. A decent set of wheels will cost you that much at least, and then you have to get the ply, corners, session catches, and paint. If you really wanted to make it durable, there's also fibreglass to consider (put it on fairly thick on the outside of the case, it's help hold it all together as well as be almost indestructable). All up, to build a decent and durable rack with everything you want, it's gonna cost you about $500. Then again, it depends on how properly you want to do this.

I'll let you know if there are any second hand touring racks around.... they might need a bit of repair, or slight modification to suit your purpose, but if it's the right price, it could be a viable option. Whilst I've never been there, another good place for second hand gear is http://www.smithys.com.au/

13. OP
    OP
    Gecko

Gecko Member

The thing is it doesn't need to be the most durable thing on the planet with shock mounts etc- atm all of the gear just rolls around the back of the car....

For the rack strips I was going to get some of these http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=H5554 a bit expensive, but I know some guys who work there who may be able to help me out :p

<edit> Just realised that those are sold as pairs... now using cheaper http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=H5552
    </edit>

Gecko

Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  14. SteakTheMooCow

not when you have a PC like mine its not... it'd break your lap, as would your idea.

but yeah, it'll go over $100... Particularly if you're paying upwards of $40 for rack mounting strips...

15. OP
    OP
    Gecko

Gecko Member

My idea is to get some pieces of thick plywood or MDF, cutting them to size (note to self: get a mate of mine who does wood technics at school to ask the guys there :) ) and screwing in the rails.

Then just getting some hinges and a few locks (can get those easy from Bunnings etc).

To get it wired up with the electricity - I've got a mate whos a registered electrician who can help me out i'm sure :)

As for rack cases, the switches are already rackmounted, but the servers will need rack mounts - we have 2 servers so 2 3 or 4ru cases would be fine.

Gecko

16. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

You might be better off getting a half or quarter size steel frame computer rack, and just screwing timber to the sides. It'll be a lot stronger.

Most of the equipment racks I use are actually built around steel frames, simply because of the strength. When it's gotta hold 300kg of amps and travel 1000km's in the back of a truck without breaking, it's gotta be strong.

17. OP
    OP
    Gecko

Gecko Member

For amps that would be true, however we have about 50kg at max going into this and it would have to travel a max of about 20km.

I'll look into a steel frame though. Linkage: http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=H5412A

A bit expensive... the aim is to make this as cheap as possible. ATM all of the gear we have just lives in some of those big plastic boxes that you buy from discount stores etc.

Gecko

18. bradrogers

bradrogers Member

Not many people take laptops to lans. It would be good to harnes the power of an all-poweful desktop in a small box though. For a more modest price!!

19. OP
    OP
    Gecko

Gecko Member

I quite often take my laptop to a lan if for whatever reason I cbf to bring my whole desktop.

Gecko