SOLVED Laptop battey packing up?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by jjo, Oct 17, 2012.

1. jjo

jjo Member

Had my laptop for about 2 years now and the battery doesn't want to charge anymore. Its a 14inch Asus which I've used mostly for uni work. Its quite happy to run off the mains charger just fine with the battery still attached but like I said, it doesn't charge. (Still at 17% charge though)

I can still unplug the charger and it will run off the batteries remaining power fine, like when I'm switching power points for the charger to plug into.

Just more wondering if the battery is actually dieing or there might be a problem with the laptops power circuitry? I did briefly hear something rattling around in the laptop chassis but whatever it was seems to have stopped on its own accord.

Should also note that this is my first laptop so I'm not sure what the symptoms of a battery dieing actually are.

Laptop stills functions fine, quite impressed I've had no problems with it for 2 years and its kinda amusing how the battery died 1 week-ish after the warranty expired. Should also note that the battery has not seen heavy use at all, for most of the first year it was mostly disconnected and stored in my desk drawer.

So is the battery packing up or is there maybe a problem with the charger/power circuitry?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  2. electro rc

electro rc Member

Li-ion battery???

3. OP
    OP
    jjo

jjo Member

Yes I just checked it. Li-ion. 5600mah, 84wh.

Does it make a difference?

4. electro rc

electro rc Member

Try running it totally flat ie. when it goes flat turn it on again to make sure its flat then charge overnight (but don't turn it on when you plug it in) and see what it does...

5. OP
    OP
    jjo

jjo Member

Ok I'll give that a go and report back

6. OP
    OP
    jjo

jjo Member

Ok, ran the battery flat and then plugged in charger. Still not charging.

I checked with Asus and apparently the warranty on the battery is for 1 year only so I think I didnt do too bad if I got 2 years out of it.

I guess its solved for now, just gotta consider whether or not to get a new battery or invest in a new laptop of an iPad instead.

7. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Why would you buy an ipad?