Laptop Fan always full thottle... any ideas?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by maev, May 3, 2012.

1. maev

maev Member

Hey, i have a sony vaio F series laptop that has been fairly loud since i've had it.

Recently i took it apart and replaced the thermal paste which made literally no difference to the temperatures (therefore fan speed).

The fan usually runs at 4200RPM and the CPU is always round 60c, GPU is 60c and PCH is 66c or so.

These are obviously high temperatures.

So what am i doing?... browsing web pages, editing word docs, not really much. its basically the same performance as playing games.

Having pulled the laptop apart i noticed where the AC cord is plugged into, the screw hole was ripped apart (the snapped of part wasn't even in the lappy) so i found that a bit strange, infact i couldnt even screw the screw to hold it (and some other line, perhaps ground) down.

I think the cooling unit sony uses with this model must be insufficient, and can't cool properly - but I'm really not sure at the moment.

2. Hive

Hive Member

Notice any dust in the HSF?

3. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

Has it always been loud? Did you vacuum the dust out of the HS? Are the power saving utilities/features on?....Seem like the laptop HSF are marginal in performance, the HP one I have here also runs louder when plugged into the mains.

4. GRH

GRH Member

the above suggestions are accurate

you can also check your cpu load at the task manager.
    check how much cpu is being used while you re doing these ordinary tasks.
    it could be a software, spyware or virus issue as well.

5. OP
    OP
    maev

maev Member

CPU always reads 100% maximum frequency, however actual CPU usage is around 1-10%.

From what i have read this is an issue that has plagued all models of my laptop, F11 series.

Some fixes suggest reseting bios. From what i can maybe tell their were heat issues with a lot of models so they just rolled out bios updates to max out fan speed to ensure minimal thermal damage is done, at the sacrifice of everyones F11 sounding like an F-11.

I guess the next best thing i can do is try and roll back to an old bios version, and eventually get a laptop under-fan thing.

TBH, i don't think i have ever had a good experience with sony except for the ps1.

source: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-sony-vaio-f11-and-cw2-overheating-bios-fix

6. GRH

GRH Member

the good old "lift behind the laptop" always helps