1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Laptop fans sound a bit weird.

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Question, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Question

Question Member

I cleaned my laptop fans again a few days ago, put everything back, but ive noticed that the fans tend to produce a "rattling" noise that goes away (temporarily) if i shake the laptop a bit.

I opened the laptop up again to check if there are any obstructions, etc but found nothing wrong and the fans are seated firmly.

Googled and i saw some suggestions to oil the fans, anyone here think this is a good idea to try?

Also not sure if its related, but the fans seem to be pretty loud and spin at a high rate lately...and ive just cleaned the fans of dust....any suggestions on what to check?

2. isaaus

isaaus Member

For fans spinning loudly/always fast, you might need repasting.

For rattling noise fans might be dying and need replacing, luckily laptops fans are cheap on eBay.

3. OP
    OP
    Question

Question Member

Uh what does repasting have to do with laptop fans?

Also arent laptop fans proprietary? Im really dissapointed the fans appear to be having problems, the laptop is less than a year old...

4. power

power Member

sounds like the bearings may be going.

under a year old means warranty time.

be disappointed all you want cheap fans wear out.

5. OP
    OP
    Question

Question Member

Where are the ball bearings?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. power

power Member

they aren't ball bearings they are sleeve bearings - and they wear out. If in warranty return to reseller for warranty.

7. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

If the thermal paste has become useless, the chip will be hot, the thermal sensors will read as such, and the laptop will speed up the fans hoping to solve the issue. So dodgy paste = fast spinning fans with little heat dissipation.

Faster fans might exacerbate a rattling issue.

I had a rattling fan, though, it was a $6 fix from ebay.

8. OP
    OP
    Question

Question Member

Im still confused which part is the sleeve bearings though, as the picture in that link isnt very descriptive. Is it the part attached to the motherboard? Because if it is, it doesnt look easily replacable...

How do you tell whether the thermal paste is no longer of use?

9. power

power Member

The thermal paste is under the other end of the big copper heatsink.

Sleeve bearings are almost always non-serviceable. When they are there is usually a rubber cover or similar to remove.

http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm

The image you've posted looks like you've destroyed the fan.

10. OP
    OP
    Question

Question Member

Destroyed the fan? Uh, how? It's a simple disassembly. You literally pull the fan out of the socket thing to clean it, then you replace it by slotting it back. I just followed the instructions from the store.

11. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

You can get replacement fans on ebay too btw, pretty easy to replace.

12. OP
    OP
    Question

Question Member

Im still confused as to which part of the fan is broken because i dont see any damage at all...which part are the bearings? The rubber part in the first pic?

I did a search on ebay but i dont see any fans that would be able to slot into the socket....except for the clevo OEM ones that run $20+.

13. mtma

mtma Member

The things that can cause problems in bearings of those sizes (the bearing by the way is the metal bit the shaft in the fan rotor inserts into) are measured in micrometers and below, so it is not surprising if you cannot see any damage. A micrometer is well... about 200 times narrower than your average monitor pixel.

Practically all possible things gone 'wrong' are extremely difficult to fix in things of these sizes. Due to how a sleeve bearing system works, lubricating after the bearing becomes noisy is often only offers temporary relief because by the time it got to that stage the damage would already be done. The same actually applies for ball bearings too.

14. OP
    OP
    Question

Question Member

Okay, should i try to get the store to send me replacement fans then?

Also can anyone advise as to where to find stores that sell rubbing alcohol and thermal paste, as i need to repaste the CPU heatsink....the temps are getting worse (spiking to 65 degrees on low load).

Im pretty sure the usual tech stores like JB hi-fi/dick smith dont carry them...i live in kensington, sydney if it helps.

15. Anteros

Anteros Member

Isopropyl alcohol, any hardware or grocery store will have it. And for thermal paste, find a computer store around you. Somewhere that sells components and not just whole systems. You're 10 minutes away from an MSY if there is nothing you can find closer.

16. OP
    OP
    Question

Question Member

Uh the nearest MSY is in Ultimo, that would be more like 30 mins + (i don't have a car).

There's a IJK nearby but even the old MX-2 costs $9...is that normal? My laptop came with IC diamond carat 24...

Also i know officeworks sells compressed air but the nearest office works is a 30 min trip away one way...(seriously why is it so hard to get compressed air in Sydney? This isnt the rural countryside...)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  17. Anteros

Anteros Member

Oh yeah, city folk don't drive everywhere. It's a little dear but only a couple dollars more than the cheapest you'll find it. If you need it, a couple extra dollars is worth it rather than risking your laptop running hot all the time

18. OP
    OP
    Question

Question Member

Uh im not sure what you mean by a couple of dollars more than the cheapest?

Just got off the phone with the reseller, i was told that the fan usually isn't covered under warranty but they will send out a replacement for me and also some thermal grease. Hope it gets here soon....still have to find some compressed air though.

Edit : The reseller is still saying that he thinks "dust in the fan" is causing the rattling/grinding noise...is there anything i can do to show that its a bearings issue?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  19. mtma

mtma Member

Not really... it could be the bearings that are the issue, but it could also be the issue because during cleaning you let a speck of dust into the bearing which is now smooshed into it and mixed with the oil film on it, and causing problems.

It's a big can of worms. But chances are if the fans are user serviceable on your computer, that's a good indication that they want you to buy more fans :lol: