Laptop for autocad

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by destructioner, Sep 7, 2009.

1. destructioner

destructioner Member

Hi guys i'm in the market for a laptop around $1500 to $2000 which i will be mainly running autocad on. Since this is my first laptop purchase i have no idea what requirements i'd need to run autocad well and was hoping you could throw some options at me.

I would like to be able to hook it up to external monitor for when working at home and i have no need for gaming.

2. Miyagi

Miyagi Member

If you want to do autocad then you'll need CPU, MEM and a good HDD alongside a nice res LCD screen.

Methinks a Dell Studio XPS 13 or 16 would fit the bill for ya.

If you'll be doing serious CAD 24/7 then you really need to move towards a proper workstation spec but that'll run $3 - $8K... eep. :eek:

3. nudge

nudge Member

I've been eyeing this one off:

HP EliteBook 8530w Mobile Workstation
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/au/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-3955549-3955549-3781677.html

The important specs:
    * Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9600 (2.80 GHz , 6 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz FSB)
    * 2GB RAM (expandable)
    * 320 GB HDD (7200 rpm)
    * 512MB NVIDIA Quadro FX770M
    * 15.4" 1920 x 1200

2GB default RAM is a bit of let down, 7200rpm HDD is a must, Quadro is very nice to have for CAD work and the screen res is amazing!

Comes in at AU$3,999 inc GST, though....

4. proffesso

proffesso Member

good units,

also consider the Dell M4400 / M6400

and if you dont know about autocad requirements...i suggest you get educated.

also, if portability is a concern, try a macbook pro, I use one for softimage and its been a workhorse for the past 3 years

5. grazhopa

grazhopa Member

thats the important one...

although, autocad is comparatively good in terms of resource use.

depends on what you will be doing etc etc tho to. 3d manipulation, textures etc can leave you pulling your hair out if you skimp on your machine. in all seriousness tho i dont think you'll get a laptop to keeep you happy for your budget if you're going to be doing serious cad work.

6. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Are you intending to do 3D work with it?

'cause that's a pretty big step up. Our 3D CAD specific laptops we have here (engineering company) are Dell Precision M6400's.

7. dalien

dalien Member

Get a Gateway 7805u or similar from the US about AUD1400. With a 9800 gts in it, you will be rocking. these also come with 17' full hd res, 4gb ddr3 and 2 hdd slots for backup.

when comparing gpu's in a lappy get one that does well in the open GL games as your budget doesnt allow for a proper workstation gpu.

9800 gts is about 15% slower than a FX770M in cinbench R10 - shading.

Generally, the GPU is what counts with CAD.

So is the extra $2500 worth the 15% gain???

8. v8tfcorty

v8tfcorty Member

Im running Catia on a M6400, up spec'd with Core™ 2 Duo X9100, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M,16.0GB, DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM, WUXDA screen etc etc.

To be honest, it struggles with large files, but it gets the job done.

9. proffesso

proffesso Member

if it struggles with that gear, then most workstations will have a hard time. whats your bottle neck gpu or cpu?

10. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Here is a website which will solve most of your problems.

http://www.inventor-certified.com/graphics/cert_ws.php

It's specifically directed at AutoCADs big brother, Inventor. But obviously Inventor comes packaged with AutoCAD Mechanical, thus, any computer listed here should run AutoCAD like a dream.

PS: This is my day job, so feel free to ask any other questions. :)

11. proffesso

proffesso Member

12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yup. A lot of the parametric software such as Solidworks & Inventor only use one core. It really annoys me when people ring me up, pissed off that their $1000 gaming machine is running the software better than their brand new $10,000 Dell workstation. If only they had read up a little before their investment.

I'm still trying to clarify a little more detail on the workstation cards though, such as what the real deal is between the Nvidia Quadro's and the Geforces. Apparently they are the same hardware and that the only thing that makes a Quadro different from a Geforce is just the firmware and the price you pay for it.

I might make a thread on it... Someone might know more.

13. proffesso

proffesso Member

its changing these days, games cards are almost as capable as quadro's.

now things like softaimge / max / maya / mudbox....dcc stuff, games cards are generally faster.

the quadro's are still faster for legacy opengl apps, usually hardcore cad apps, but even then, that could be changing as well, im not well versed in cad anymore.

the only reason why I still recommend cad cards, is support. for a home user, wouldnt worry about it. but for large corporates...yeah.

14. v8tfcorty

v8tfcorty Member

For "normal" day to day stuff its actually fine, it just struggles when i open a full Vehicle buildup (scanned body in white).

15. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

We have a few of the predecessors to this model in our company. Haven't heard any complaints from the people using them so I assume they're doing the job :)