Laptop not booting or something.

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Jaded5542, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Jaded5542

Jaded5542 Member

I'll just throw it out there, i'm a windows user, but my misses has a macbook and in her mindset apparently if i can fix a windows PC i can fix a Mac, apparently...

So the laptop itself goes to the select user option, her user profile is there, when she clicks it it "loads" very slowly, than throws a white screen with the "No" symbol.Than brings up a whole heap of system restore options, i tried the "Time machine" option, apparently she doesn't back up, the other option i quickly tried was changing the boot drive which is encrypted, we enter the password than it asks to select a drive to boot from, yet no drives are there, than i left after telling her just to reinstall OSX which she told me didnt work.

She is using the newly created "Guest account" which randomly popped up out of no where.

I think the HDD has shit itself, but if that was the case why on earth is guest account working? And it came up as there with all her data (I forgot what option i found it in)

Anyone got any advice or ideas is there a safe mode or something like that, or can i force install OSX somehow? (Ideally over USB as my laptop doesn't have a burner, or a DVD drive)

If this happened on my laptop id just reinstall windows on my boot HDD.

2. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Yeah there is a safe mode. Power down the machine then hold the shift key while powering it on, and continue to hold the shift key until the login window appears.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201262

What year/Model MacBook is it?

3. OP
    OP
    Jaded5542

Jaded5542 Member

Safe mode didnt kick on, ATM i deleted the whole HDD after loading in CMD + R, and its doing a fresh install from the web, it failed just than because the installer couldnt verify the install, but it rebooted and is trying again.

2012 Macbook Pro is all she knows.

Edit: I had look the systems area, MacBook Pro 9 is what it identify as

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  4. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

If the missus could get into the guest account, I hope you were able to back up her files (as you mentioned they were there) before erasing the disk.

Since the install isn't working properly, I would guess the hard drive is on its last legs. If its the original hard drive thats a good innings for a 6 year old machine. Swap it out for a nice shiny SSD (a trivial task, you only need a set of Torx screwdrivers and a phillips 00 - these machines were the best for upgrades).

Take note of the length of the bottom case screws. Some are longer than others. Open the bottom by grasping the cover at the hinge. Unplug the battery. Swap the hdd by simply undoing the two torx screws on the black bracket and lifting with the plastic tab but be VERY gentle with the flex ribbon as you change them, they break easily. Move the 4 torx screws from the old hdd to the new ssd along with the pull tab, its sticky stuff is plenty sticky enough for use on a new drive. Repace the retention bracket and plug the battery back in, then finally replace the bottom cover. If your in there changing the hard drive, now is a good time to max out the ram. Its cheap and improves performance even more. Also a good idea to blow out the fan with air duster. Hold the fan so it wont spin and give it a few blasts to remove the dust bunnies. Don't whatever you do hold the air duster upside down. It'll squirt fluid all over the place.

Get access to another mac and download the Mac OS installer (you'll probably end up with Mac OS Mojave, which runs fine on that system), and Diskmaker X (google it), shove in a usb stick of 8Gb or more, run diskmaker X, follow the prompts to create the installer usb. If you don't know anyone with another mac, head to an apple store and use one of the display macs. If your questioned just be honest, tell em your trouble shooting a mac and need a usb installer.

Finally boot the 2012 machine with the option key held down and the stick in one of the usb's.

Then you'll be able to reinstall the OS, and the machine will be crazy fast thanks to the new SSD. Then its just a matter of creating the missus user account, and restoring her files from the backup.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018