Laptop not booting or something.

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Jaded5542, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Jaded5542

Jaded5542 Member

I'll just throw it out there, i'm a windows user, but my misses has a macbook and in her mindset apparently if i can fix a windows PC i can fix a Mac, apparently...

So the laptop itself goes to the select user option, her user profile is there, when she clicks it it "loads" very slowly, than throws a white screen with the "No" symbol.Than brings up a whole heap of system restore options, i tried the "Time machine" option, apparently she doesn't back up, the other option i quickly tried was changing the boot drive which is encrypted, we enter the password than it asks to select a drive to boot from, yet no drives are there, than i left after telling her just to reinstall OSX which she told me didnt work.

She is using the newly created "Guest account" which randomly popped up out of no where.

I think the HDD has shit itself, but if that was the case why on earth is guest account working? And it came up as there with all her data (I forgot what option i found it in)

Anyone got any advice or ideas is there a safe mode or something like that, or can i force install OSX somehow? (Ideally over USB as my laptop doesn't have a burner, or a DVD drive)

If this happened on my laptop id just reinstall windows on my boot HDD.

2. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Yeah there is a safe mode. Power down the machine then hold the shift key while powering it on, and continue to hold the shift key until the login window appears.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201262

What year/Model MacBook is it?

3. OP
    OP
    Jaded5542

Jaded5542 Member

Safe mode didnt kick on, ATM i deleted the whole HDD after loading in CMD + R, and its doing a fresh install from the web, it failed just than because the installer couldnt verify the install, but it rebooted and is trying again.

2012 Macbook Pro is all she knows.

Edit: I had look the systems area, MacBook Pro 9 is what it identify as

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018