Laptop not connecting to the internet

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by the_antipop, May 1, 2019.

1. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Hey all,

My wifes laptop suddenly is no longer connecting to the internet. The Wifi says it is connected, however, webpages do not load. It's the same situation connected via Ethernet.
    The error that the network troubleshooter spits out is;
    Your computer appears to be configured correctly but the device or resource (wpad.gateway) is not responding
    Does anyone recognise that error? I've tried to flushdns and Google DNS to no avail. I can connect to the modem fine, and my PC is still connected to the net, as are our phones, so it's just her laptop.

Any other ideas?

2. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

What Browser? Have you tried another?

Are ping tests working?

3. OP
    OP
    the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I did try Edge, still didn't work. I can connect to the router, my NAS server - all fine, no dramas.
    Strangely it decided to work this morning, so I thought we were in the clear - but just got a text from the wife saying it's no longer working. Could it be a failing network component? Maybe a full re-install of Windows might fix it?

4. FOTW

FOTW Member

I doubt both wireless and wired network adapters have gone faulty. More likely a IP config issue. Also remove any antivirus you have installed AVG and mcafee is a a devil for messing up network configs.

In command prompt try these:

netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

Restart computer.

5. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

Iv had this issue recently too... after updates... both of my media pcs have had internet connectivity issues but can access the network fine. Windows troubleshooter says invalid dns config. I ended up resetting my modem and let it autoconfig (nbn via iprimus) and one of them worked straight away... the other still has issues. Connected usb network adaptor and it works but wont access internet via older wifi card. Tried manually setting ip and dns to no avail. Will be doing fresh install over the weekend to see if it sorts it out. Tried netsh and ipconfig commands and it still doesnt work. Seems strange for it to happen all of a sudden...

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Try;
    Start>>Settings>>Network Reset (hyperlink).

It will prompt you to restart the client. Afterwards you will need to reenter the wireless password, etc.