1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Laptop to speakers, wirelessly?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by bradrogers, Apr 7, 2007.

1. bradrogers

bradrogers Member

After much searching, I can't seem to find what I am after.

I want to be able to link my laptop up to my speaker system when I am using it at home, but I don't want to be connecting cables to it for sound.

My question is: Does anyone know a solution to provide a wireless connection to my speakers from my laptop? I have seen a wifi one, but I really don't want to put more traffic on my wireless network.

I don't mind if there is a small dongle/module hanging off the side of the laptop.

2. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

a) Nothing particularly small, no, though there are plenty of 2.4GHz audio/video senders on the market they're all about the size of a small wireless router.

b) Anything like this is going to be in the 2.4GHz band, so chances are it'll knock back the performance of your wifi network anyway

c) All AV senders can potentially have a drastic effect on sound quality. You're adding an entire new ADC-transmit-DAC stage into the mix, with all that entails.

Dick smith sell a couple of models, if you're interested in seeing the sort of thing that's available

3. OP
    OP
    bradrogers

bradrogers Member

Yeah thanks for that, I might have a look at one, and what voltages they run on, etc.

If worst comes to worst, I can power an AV sender off usb, and set up a strap system, so its strapped behind the screen.

4. JetspeedCamry

JetspeedCamry Member

Jaycar now stock 5.8ghz models that don't interfere and add the hassles with wireless networks. Although, they come at a premium. ($299 IIRC).

5. Aequitas

Aequitas Member

ahahah what the hell are you talking about... you dont want wires but you also dont want to do it via wireless? huh am i missing something.

simple answer to your needs is airtunes as long as you have an amp with fm.

6. TMM

TMM Member

Learn to read. He wants it wireless but not on the 2.4ghz band / interfering with wireless LAN.

7. nux

nux Member

There is more than one 2.4GHz channel, you should be fine with them if you choose that option.

8. Aequitas

Aequitas Member

and where does it say that tmm? NOWHERE. no mention of 2.4ghz band anywhere. just says he wants it without wires but not on his wireless network.

there are loads of wireless bands and they wont interfere. airport express with airtunes is what he wants.

9. JetspeedCamry

JetspeedCamry Member

With the transmitters available at Jaycar, using any of the 2.4ghz channels that were selectable gave me interference through my network, but moreso a bad picture and staticy audio from the transmitter. I don't use mine anymore for this reason. The 5.8ghz ones are ideal for anyone who has a wireless net (i think thats why they were created), however, as i said, they come at a cost.

10. nemmie

nemmie Member

I've seen this thing - it uses separate frequency from your home network - but its a dongle and a half.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/review.aspx?CIaRID=3247

I would recommend against a 2.4 ghz av sender. I have one - its fine for the small TV i have in my computer room. But when I connected it up to the computer and listened thru my nice headphones - it was awful.

Personally I would see if your home network can cope with a little more traffic. Its only 150 kb /sec or so for CD quality audio. And then you don't even need a dongle.

http://www.sondigo.com/sirocco/overview

11. tt_j65

tt_j65 Member

12. mr sti

mr sti Member

Best thing is the Logitech Wireless Music System. Only about $60-80 on ebay :)

13. raoul

raoul Member

I have one of these Airport Express, got it free with my macbook, works nicely. I also got Rogue Amoeba Airfoil software for my PC so i dont have to use itunes to make it work.. It hooks into all programmes that output audio and cand send it to the box.

It also incorporates a network printer outlet which is quite handy if you have more than 1 comp.

Handy bit of kit.

14. OP
    OP
    bradrogers

bradrogers Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  15. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Bluetooth audio as in the headset standard for mobile phones is *incredibly* low bitrate, and it's lossy compressed. It's nigh on useless for music

It makes stock ipod headphones look good.