Laptop won't boot from USB

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by EvilGenius, May 11, 2018.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Hi guys,

I've been brought a Toshiba C55Dt-C5245 laptop to have a look at, it's been used by a teenager who has done usual stupid teenager crap on it and I just want to blow it away. No matter what I try though I can't get it to boot from USB. I have a known working (tried and tested) bootable usb stick with Win10 1709 on it, it happily boots on any other machine I stick it in. I press F12 on this toshy to bring up the boot menu, it correctly identifies the brand/model of usb stick connected and offers it as an option to boot from, but when selected it just boots from the hard drive anyway. I've tried with secure boot enabled/disabled, setting USB as the first boot device and the HDD as the last, resetting to default etc, it doesn't care.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is pulling it apart and removing the hard drive so it has no option but to boot from USB.. I'd definitely like to avoid pulling it to bits though if I can... Any ideas?

2. power

power Member

3. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yeah this machine is several versions behind, I'm wanting to start fresh with the current version (yes I know 1803 is coming, but 1709 is still better than the 16xx that's on here).

4. power

power Member

eh, just put 1803 on it.

5. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yeah sure, now if only I could get this laptop to boot off usb.............

6. power

power Member

is it that bad you can't do it through updates.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

have you tried fiddling with the usb legacy support bios setting (if it's got that?)

8. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yes, it is. I know I was a little vague with the 'teenager has done stupid teenager shit' comment, but this machine has Vuze, all the associated shitware that comes with torrenting, 3 different AV programs, god knows what else, boot time is 10-15mins and getting it to do simple things like open the control panel is a right pain in the arse. I really just want to blow it away.

No legacy options like that at all. It's actually the most cut down featureless uefi I've ever seen.

9. philquad

philquad Member

i had 1 like this 1 day, only option was to use advanced startup in the recovery to tell it to usb boot

10. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Just gave that a shot, it reboots and then boots back into windows off the hard drive. I'm going to have to pull this thing apart :(

11. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

12. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Sigh, it hadn't even occurred to me to try off dvd lol, because who uses dvd? Turns out I still had a box of blank dvds.. and this thing boots off dvd so yay :) Can't remember the last time I had to burn a dvd lol.

Edit: Windows can't be installed in the selected location, error 0x80300001. Starting to regret agreeing to look at this thing...

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    BurningFeetMan likes this.
  13. schmoove

schmoove Member

Does it have some kind of hidden recovery partition weirdness on the hdd?
    If you really wanna blow it away I'd be booting a live Linux instance and using Gparted to destroy the HDD partitions to start afresh.

14. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I've never had so much trouble nuking a machine before, this thing just doesn't want to live.

I pulled it apart and and cleaned the drive with diskpart, it's now letting me install windows on this drive. Get to 11% and it hangs. Pull the DVD and it's somehow got a giant scratch across the disk. Brand new disk I burned just the other day, never been anywhere but my dvd drive and this laptops dvd drive.. Sigh. Burn a new disk, this time with 1803 so I guess that's something. Up to 80% now so it looks like maybe I might get there this time.

It's still refusing to boot from USB, I have nfi how to make it. Fk this laptop right in the ear.

15. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

Have you attempted any BIOS updates? What about trying to boot win 7/8 install from the USB?

16. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Bios is already on the 'newest' version from august 2016. I haven't tried win7 on here, it's a 'designed for 10' machine and that's what it had already. I tried a dos boot usb key with spinrite on it, that wouldn't boot either so I figured machine issue.

Now I've got 10 running it's still painfully slow even with just a bare 10 install. Sigh, I've thrown out better machines than this.

17. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

There could be some fault with the M/B or maybe the HDD is on it's way out... maybe RAM?
    Perhaps, make them pay for an SSD upgrade, should help with the speed.
    I assume that you tried to boot from USB 2 and 3 ports?

18. power

power Member

$20++ :( :(

surely you can order a recovery disc or something to get you back up and running - sounds like all the factory partitions are trashed.

never underestimate the value of resetting the BIOS to defaults either!

19. magius

magius Member

Assuming it is on Windows 10 already - there is a factory reset function which is kinda like installing new, not quite as good - but better than nothing.

20. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I have actually got this machine going again. I had a bit of a 'you idiot' moment when I realised it has a dvd drive and I actually still had some blank dvd's, so I've now got it going on 1803. It's still a slow piece of crap though.

And I did try resetting bios to default. It's without doubt the most featureless bios I've ever seen. After a reset almost nothing changes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah I didn't want to do that because the system was so far gone with viruses and multiple AVs installed etc. It was also multiple major versions behind so I would have had to spend days/weeks/decades getting it up to date.

Edit:

Sorry mate missed your post. I tried all the ports, usb2 and 3, same thing. It's almost like the thing doesn't actually support USB booting? Option is there in the boot menu, but yeah..

It could definitely use an SSD, it feels so painfully slow. It's running on a 1tb WD blue drive. Tempted to pull it again and test, but now that 10 is actually on and running, apart from being slow it's not giving me any grief so I'm leaning towards there not actually being any hardware issues. See how bored I get tomorrow.

Last edited: May 16, 2018