Laptop won't boot from USB

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by EvilGenius, May 11, 2018.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'd have removed the HDD, formatted it on a different computer, then stuck it back in. The only thing the laptop would have found that was bootable would then have been the USB.

2. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Eventually I gave up and pulled the drive out, cleaned it with diskpart and tried exactly what you suggested. Still wouldn't boot from USB. After bringing up the boot menu and choosing USB, it went straight to option 4 on the list and tried to pxe boot. When I cancelled that it told me there were no bootable devices. And I know for certain the USB stick I'm using is bootable, I stuck it in another laptop to try it, it boots exactly as it should.

3. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

Last shot... did you create the USB installer in the UEFI GPT scheme? Strange it doesn't boot anything at all... :confused: Legacy USB option doesn't show up after disabling "secure boot"?

4. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I usually do this with diskpart, ntfs partition marked active. It's never failed me before, I guess I could break rufus or something out and see what happens though.. Just thinking I also tried an acronis stick I had sitting there too, that one is made by acronis itself. I've never come across anything it wouldn't boot on either.

5. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Ok so GPT for UEFI option in rufus did it. I'll have to keep that in mind in the future, I've not come across that on any other machine before.

6. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

The whole thing seem very odd, looking at their support web site, I think, they offer win 7 drivers for this laptop yet can't install in Legacy mode and only in GPT... :confused:

They seem to have three BIOS versions all the same date... :confused: Version 5.2 is the latest by the looks of things.

7. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yeah I thought that was pretty odd too. I assumed they must have updated their site at some point and those are just the upload date? Dunno. It's running 5.2 though so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've never had any issues creating and booting off usb sticks like this before either. I usually work with Dell machines, with the odd HP thrown in as well, but even with whatever junk I've picked up on the side, it's always 'just worked'. I even have a zalman external hdd that emulates a dvdrom, it won't boot off that either and usually on new uefi systems it will show up as both a legacy device and a uefi boot device. I think this machine just knows how rubbish it is and has no will to live.

8. schmoove

schmoove Member

Rufus ftw every time!
    I'm a Linux user full time but when I do boot into windows it's mostly to use Rufus.
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

+1 I would be reassessing the ISO (SHA1 from someone else here) and then ensuring it was made as a 'bootable USB' using Rufus.

10. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

The ISO is coming from M$ own download tool, so if it's not legit there are bigger issues to worry about lol. I think this is just a case of poor uefi setup from Toshiba.

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

When I say check - I am inferring the file quality - ISO's are one of the easiest files to corrupt and if you have minor network hiccups or interference they can become corrupted. Hence the use of SHA1 to compare file integrity, or equivalent (MD5, etc). I have had full installs but then the start menu didn't work or some other function was impaired and comparing the ISO highlighted the file had become corrupted during the DL phase.

12. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Ok.. Out of the hundreds, probably thousands I've downloaded if this one corrupted it'd be a first. Highly unlikely to be the issue in this case though, because it would have had to have happened with the original 1709 iso I had and have used on multiple systems prior to this, and the 1803 iso I downloaded afterwards.

In any case I've now returned this piece of junk to the owner, after finally getting it installed via dvd, after stripping it down and cleaning the drive. If they bring it back to me and ask for the SSD upgrade I suggested it desperately needed I may in fact set fire to it.

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

giving credence to your username :D

EvilGenius likes this.
  14. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Pics plz or it never happened..............

15. koopz

koopz Member

you're an idiot here EvilGenius...

which is odd - as you have said so many things that pricked my ears up over the ears.

boot the unit up with a NIX distro and install - give to a friend in need.

nix disro's log driver faults as the OS boots up ( which allows dummy young techs at computer shops to zone in on hardware failure )

use this information to your advantage - you've been a member since 2005 I notice.

maybe you should go and buy a Mac... they are designed for consumers as well as people who love computers, though do not want to understand the nuts and bolts of how everything works.

There's nothing wrong with that.

some of us here are looking to share the love of knowledge with other forum readers.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  16. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

That's pretty harsh..............

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  17. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I have my moments :)

Like now.. I'm confused by your post. Why would I boot it up with linux? And how would trying to boot it with linux have helped me with the issue I was having getting it to boot from usb? In any case, it works now with windows 10. It's slow, but the owner wanted windows 10 back on it, with office365. Granted I got thrown for a loop by a machine that required some pretty strict boot conditions, but other than that I'm still not sure what putting linux on it was going to achieve for anyone? I'm guessing you misread my comment about setting it on fire, for the record I have not harmed this machine in any fashion. I may have insulted it by my repeated attempts to make it boot from a usb key improperly prepared for it's needs, but I made it up to it by learning the error of my ways.

As for friends in need, I give away laptops and or desktops all the time. My company has no disposal policy for out of warranty machines so anyone who asks is welcome to one. Generally they'll have win10 on them though, because it works, and if anyone asks me some obscure 'how do I do this in ubuntu' question, well I'm a windows guy, I don't know that off the top of my head.

18. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

Button mashing F12 during power on / reboot to see usb drive boot

19. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Secure boot on? That could restrict where you can boot from.

20. voltare1

voltare1 Member

Make your windows 10 USB, using media creation tool.
    Start in to windows normally,
    Start-r (run menu) type shutdown /r /o
    This gets you to recovery,
    Click trouble shooting, boot to efi,
    This gets you in to bios
    From here change boot order and enable boot menu option

Modern laptops are a pain in the arse for this,
    By default if you can't get in to windows (password, snuffed install etc) you need to force it to recovery by turning on and forcing power down as windows starts to load, takes 3 or 4 failed boots for it to land in the "diagnosing your pc" from here you can do the above.

Last edited: May 20, 2018