Laptops for Kids

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by mr sti, Mar 27, 2015.

1. mr sti

mr sti Member

Hi Guys, My niece needs a laptop for school as lots of her homework is online based. My sister is looking for it to last 5 years (till end of primary school) (although I doubt it), and have looked at the Dell Lattitude which is ruggedised and another Asus version (non ruggedised). I have also seen the Lenovo 11e windows, however it only has a celeron processor.

Has anyone gone through a similar purchase process and can offer any tips?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. power

power Member

forget the 5 year thing, not gonna happen.

go into MSY and buy something cheap. The smelly will be fine with an SSD upgrade - get an SSD, also backup, backup, backup.

3. OP
    OP
    mr sti

mr sti Member

Yeh my sister was hoping that haha, i told her good luck. Kids are kids.

4. power

power Member

Yeah, try the best you can to reset those expectations. I tell people (adults) to expect 2-3 years out of a lappy everything else is a bonus after that. Cheap stuff 1-2.

Push the SSD angle though, makes a shit lappy seem like a winner.

5. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

To be honest, I think a chromebook might be the way to go here. Cheap, usually has an SSD (albiet a small one), can't get viruses and malware like Windows PCs and they're pretty lightweight. Low power too, so their fans don't get clogged up as quick.

Otherwise a refurb dell running Ubuntu is surprisingly good. Power I think you underestimate the longevity of laptops, as long as you maintain them and make the kids look after them they can last 5 years no problem. The thing that almost always dies first though is the HDD, so an SSD is the answer to that.

6. power

power Member

they can but if you don't expect it it's a bonus and should be seen as such :thumbup:

I like the Chromebook idea but so many schools have reasonably strict requirements and a Chromebook may not meet them, neither would any Linux lappy.

7. mr626

mr626 Member

Really depends on the school (OP needs to check this). A school local to me for example has many Windows desktops and laptops, but also has trolleys of Chromebooks, and supports a BYOD program for senior students (basically any device that can connect to wifi is supported).

Might also be worth finding out exactly what platform is being used to deliver the online homework. At a wild guess it might be using something like Moodle, but it could be anything. Although a lot more stuff is cross-platform these days, I suspect education is like many 'special' industries where lots of out-dated / platform-specific stuff is used that won't necessarily work on everything (eg Flash, Silverlight, Quicktime etc).

8. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I agree. The laptop is to enable the students education not hinder it. Sticking with something the school can support is fairly vital.

IE, If the school runs Macs (a huge number do in WA) getting a PC might cause a lot of issues. School SOE will not work, docs saved in iWork will not work with office (unless you make an effort.), IT staff/teacher will not be able to provide troubleshooting ect ect . The same goes for a Mac/Linux/Chromebook in a school that runs a PCs or anything else.

Otherwise assuming its a PC notebook, anything i3 + SSD will be fine as long as the child is carefully with the machine. Otherwise a more Rugged machine like a some Lenovo/Toshiba/Mac, also get insurance that covers the machine at school ect (assuming the notebook is worth covering, value wise) . Also backups.

I work for a company that sells IT into education and you would not imagine the number of ways kids find to break machines (one road a Macbook down a hill).

9. samo

samo Member

for some reason this made me picture Cool Runnings bob sled team.

10. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

The common theme is ask the school for the laptop specifics/requirements which they should have a clear set of guidelines for - else where just gauging "how long is a piece of string" - in a potentially meaningless, wildly speculative discussion.

P.s. I hope my comment didn't come across poorly - Im a scientist and have trained for years to look at things objectively......

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  11. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Sounds like that child was well behind the i8ball.

Sorry, that was a dad joke that could go without passing.

If I was the parent, I would be mortified! My children are still too young to reach that level of juvenile destruction......just.

12. OP
    OP
    mr sti

mr sti Member

Totally true. I will get back to the thread with the school's requirements.

13. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

Lol hackintosh :), I would not buy a young child a macbook for the reason of price and you know there more then likely to drop or damage it, Christ i don't know how many young ones have sat on a $800 ipad, it beyond a joke. It's a sick joke the education system is moving to macs at the cost and age young students are using them. Best idea is a older used core 2 like this one

http://www.reboot-it.com.au/apple-m...am-160gb-hdd-webcam-13.3-laptop-clone-en.html

atleast when your child drops or breaks it you wont be tearing your hair out at $319.00 vs $1k, best advise i give give mate and should handle there needs. For year 11&12 then you can risk a air or pro if there not smashing them up.

PS, for a new battery get them from here not fleebay, they come with a good warrenty and are australian at dam good price and of good quailty and real rating http://www.betterbatt.com.au/

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  14. OP
    OP
    mr sti

mr sti Member

OK, it's just for home use. So it doesnt really matter about 'toughness.'

15. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Get whatever works then. You can get Dell Inspiron E6400s for around $160 delivered on ebay. Put Ubuntu on it and you'll have a basic laptop that will work fine for school work but won't play 3D games or get viruses :thumbup: