Laptops for under a grand

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by sanjay, Mar 20, 2007.

1. mikeyyy

mikeyyy Member

What?! 2.5 hours on max performance??? Why does yours last so long. :p On minimum brightness windows predicts 2.5 hours but I can't really see the damn screen!

Are you using vista or xpp?

2. tez

tez Member

Ah right. I'll have to find some time to go and check it out first, although if its just the screen size, I'd probably prefer a 14" as it will be slightly lighter.

3. zfind

zfind Member

Vista... I don't know why mine is like that, maybe because it's not doing much alot of the time? When I'm watching DVD's its on the verge of death by the end of it.

4. mikeyyy

mikeyyy Member

Maybe acer has some power saving software installed or something, no such software when you put xpp on. Just the default windows stuff...

5. TheNek

TheNek Member

6. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

7. sMaRt

sMaRt Member

8. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

the C500 is available at officeworks too, isnt it?

compaq presario v6301au available at dick smith - turion x2, geforce go, dvd burner, $999 - $899 after cashback and if you get the display model from dickies i think they do another 10% off :)

not as good a deal as the F555AU from digitalstar but it DOES have the glossy imprint finish, dvd burner, sightly better graphics and dual core processor over that model. :)

9. kingyubbo

kingyubbo Member

Don't know about that.... an extra 10%? That'd make it awesome value if you could.

10. Ekin

Ekin Member

Im surprised no ones jumping at the digitalstar deal. Im very happy with it although beware, i contacted digitalstar and apparently HP made a mistake with the specs and listed the video as a 6150go but its actually a 6100go. Other than that its ace! Dont forget the free 1gb ram upgrade.

11. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

has happened many a time when they only have the display model left - you have to ask, of course ;)

mate of mine got an iriver H320 for 20% off or something coz it was a display model and the last one they had :)

12. Witch

Witch Member

Three questions:

Was that the "sticker price"?

Are you sure that the model to which you linked - the C582TU - is the model that you bought?

Did you know about this?

Am I putting the puzzle pieces together correctly? :D

Edit: Oops, that was four questions. But the last one was directed at everyone, not just sMaRt.

Edit 2: Oo, one more question - can you tell me what wireless card it has? Broadcom or Intel? (PM me if you don't know how to tell.)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  13. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

the presario will have a broadcom wireless chipset, just like all the cheapy presarios (none of them are centrino spec).

the C582 will have been $798 at the sticker price, do not worry. if this model was $599 after cashback everyone in here would know about it. :)

my only remaining question is: where are all the cheapy 14 inch notebooks (sub $700) - acer has done it, now its all the other manufacturer's turns. :D

- Sanjay

14. kingyubbo

kingyubbo Member

MP3 players are a little different, especially the iRivers. I remember seeing a friend buying the same H320 for around $200 (30GB) Model which was way under cost but it didn't come with a microphone.

15. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

the incentive for DSE to discount is even higher with regards to laptops though; they are high ticket items, and are now outdated; HP/Compaq have new models that DSE wants to sell, so its in their interests to get rid of the old stock as soon as possible to make room on the shop floor for those new models.

trust me, i work in retail ;)

16. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

hmm, boss sent me on a hunt for a cheap laptop for his missus today (beats doing real work :p)

went to A and R to have a look at the extensa 5210 - my impression on build quality was dissapointing. i thought the travelmates were built really well, but the amount of screen flex in it was pretty terrible, and it just looked like a black version of the old aspires.

ive since directed him to get one of the gemstone acers (probably the aspire 5310 from retravision, still $699 with $100 kesh back :D) as they appear to have better build quality than the acers of old. :)

i lost track of the thread though, did anyone actually buy one of the aspire 5310s or did you all get 4310s? :D

17. slashrox

slashrox Member

I bought a Compaq Presario C500 2 weeks ago and for $900 its a great laptop :thumbup:

Celeron M 1.60GHz Processor, 80GB HDD, 512mb Ram, Wireless, Windows Vista Basic.

All the laptop needs is another stick of ram :thumbup: (I'm yet to upgrade the ram..)

I got mine from retravision. It was $899 ($799 after cashback) but unfortunately, I didn't get my cashback form (it was supposed to be sent to me) and the cashback entries needed to be in before the 14th Aug.

I've had no problems with it so far and I've been told by a few people I know that Compaq is a really great brand, really reliable etc :D

I recommend it to anyone who wants a laptop for around the $900 mark.

18. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

thing is, $900 gets you dual core, 1gb ram minimum.

your compaq is the same spec as the acer, just $200 more.

but yes, compaq is a brilliant brand. highly recommended by myself and you :D

19. Pyro

Pyro Member

I finaly got myself a second hand Toshiba Satellite M70 :)

It's fucking great.

20. tez

tez Member

I was about to buy one of those 4310's, alhough am now considering the 5310. I'll have to check the local Retravision store as I havent seen any adverts fort he 5310 that Retravision have put out.

JB Hifi and Officeworks are both selling the 5310 now for around the $749 as well with a $99 cashback.