Laptops for under a grand

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by sanjay, Mar 20, 2007.

1. bizkitboi

bizkitboi Member

so are any of the sub 1000 digital star lappys worth it?

2. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

i just fixed the NX9110 i bought here, looks like i'll flog that off on ebay and pick me up one of these aspire 4310s - and try to haggle to get it for $599 after cashback from JB. i'll let you all know how i go :p

3. Khalil

Khalil Member

4. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Member

Just picked up the base model TravelMate 5310 for $636 after $99 cashback

5. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

where from, how much for?

how can you guys not give us such relevant info :p

im guessing the TM 5310 is similar to the extensa 5210?

6. kingyubbo

kingyubbo Member

So you don't hog all the good deals :lol:

7. tez

tez Member

Travelmate or Aspire?

The 5310 / 4310 are going for the same price at the moment. JB are selling the 5310 for $742 though. I tried to haggle at my local JB and the guy didnt budge at all.

My local Retravision will do a 5310 for $720 though.

Also, are the 4310's still about because I think the Officeworks promo ended today? With JB one (5310) due to end later on this week?

8. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

when i called they said the 5310 was still $699 before cashback. mite be different as youre not in SA but they oughta do that price.

9. fried_chicken

fried_chicken Member

I just bought one of these from Hardley Normal c582tu. Are you sure the cashback has expired. as long as u have the receipt you should stillbe able to claim it using the online form at www.compaq.com.au. Registration closes in Sept i think and you have until Nov to mail it.

good, cheap laptop. decent build quality. screen is OK. Discolouration as soon as your viewing angle changes, but nowhere near as bad as some of the other cheap laptops. In its price bracket i think the screen is good to excellent. Battery life is around 1.5hrs, due to lack of speedstep. Upgraded the RAM to 1.5gb, vista now performs much better. The celeron is a M520 based on the memrom core, so its 64bit compatible. It runs pretty hot and the cpu fan is loud (loud in comparison to a mates Hp DV6xxx turion x2 system he bought) but bearable. Its a single core version of a core2 duo and from sandra its an equivalent to a 3.4GHz P4.

As your basic computer its fine. The 945IGP doesnt do much but plays my SCUMMVm games just fine. 3 usb ports, svideo, d-sub has everything you'd want besides a camera/mic. the chassis is a little on the chunky side, something like 2". The screen does allow flex, although ripple isnt very bad. The black exterior loves fingerprints. Access to the RAM banks (1x512) is childsplay.

Clockgen doesn't support this chipset?? couldnt overclock/underclock it. Does lack firewire, whcih sucks if you also happen to have a miniDV camcorder.

They were on sale for $698w/cashback from HN and Retravision (WA) and I think they still are.
    everyone's Mum should have one of these.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  10. Scribble

Scribble Member

I think it was posted before but i bought this for the gf's birthday. I think it's pretty good for the price. All the features she wants like bluetooth, wifi, firewire, and a card slot for her phone/camera etc.

Also got a $70 bag thrown in and a toshiba thumb drive :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

12. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Member

What's the diff between the TM and the Aspire 5310? I'm not sure what I've bought now :|

EDIT: Oh and I got my TM/A 5310 from Clive Anthony's in Castle Hill, NSW. $636 after c/b

13. Scribble

Scribble Member

Cheers for that, And how do i get my cash back? did dickies need to give me anything? or do i just need my reciept?

14. Witch

Witch Member

I have not read the details, but info is here.

15. Submariner

Submariner Member

Is the Lenovo C200 Notebook for $749 any good?

Celeron M 430 1.73GHz
    512MB Ram
    80GB HDD
    DVD Burner
    15” Standard Size Screen (NOT WIDE)
    MS Windows Vista Basic
    4x USB Port
    1x 1394 Port
    1x card reader
    1x VGA Out
    10/100 LAN
    Wireless LAN 802.11 A/B/G
    Modem 56K

http://www.pluscorp.com.au/Product.asp?ProdID=11777

16. Scribble

Scribble Member

Champion cheers!, now it looks like such a good deal im tempted to buy one myself :leet:

17. Witch

Witch Member

At that price and screen size I'd be looking at the Compaq C582TU.

Edit: The next line is in error, please ignore.

Also, if I'm not mistaken TGG have dropped the price of the Acer 5310: link.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  18. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

the lenovo is still a good deal. remember you are getting the top-class lenovo build quality for $749, which for some people may be worth $100 over the acer 4310.

i strongly recommend that for the same price as the acer 5310 (except its still at retravision for $599 after cashback as far as im aware) you guys get the aspire 4310 instead, i do believe its still at officeworks, its still $648 after cashback, and yes, its got the smaller screen and webcam (more portable) :)

19. Witch

Witch Member

There have been rumblings (I can't remember where so it's just hearsay at this stage) that the non-ThinkPad Lenovos are not of the same build quality as the ThinkPads.

Oops, my mistake. I was getting confused about the 5310; I didn't realise that it was the same laptop mentioned earlier (page 36 to be exact :p). Personally I'd prefer the larger screen but the better processor and webcam on the 4310 probably makes it better value.

20. anthonysimilion

anthonysimilion Member

The non-ThinkPad Lenovo laptops don't have all the extra build features of the ThinkPads, and aren't the same build quality (obviously because they are built to a cheaper standard - they have to differentiate between the lines) - but they're still very sturdy compared to laptops from other manufacturers.