Laptops for under a grand

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by sanjay, Mar 20, 2007.

1. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

for sure, the lenovo N100 series isnt built as well as the thinkpads, but theyre a darnsight better than the acers/compaqs of the budget basement lines. :)

EDIT

new sponsor Austechnology has a fantastic deal for under a grand:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=7735170&posted=1#post7735170

toshiba satellite pro A120 with pentium dual core for ~$850, extra $25 to upgrade to 1gb RAM (also a good price).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  2. HellsAngel

HellsAngel Member

You can get the Dell 1420 for $999 delivered.

C2D 1.5Ghz, 1GB Ram, 120GB harddrive, 6 Cell battery, Dual Layer DVD burner.

3. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

what about the bloatless vostro equivalent? :p

4. HellsAngel

HellsAngel Member

Nah not for Vostro only Inspiron :)

5. reanimator

reanimator Member

Bought the following beast for under a grand. You could say im one happy camper. Unfortunately it was a private seller from eBay, so youd have to pay upwards of $1200, to get the same model. But honestly its well worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/lighthammer/IMG_4828.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/lighthammer/IMG_4816-1.jpg

HP Pavilion dv2308TX

Processor– Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5300 1.73GHz
    Memory - 1024MB DDR2 (2 Dimms)
    Hard Drive - 120GB 5400RPM
    Optical Drive - LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±RW with Double Layer Support
    LCD - 14.1" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display
    Graphics – NVIDIA GeForce Go 7200 with 128MB of Turbocache Video memory
    TV-OUT PORT – S-Video Output
    Camera - Integrated 1.3 Megapixel webcam
    Network - Integrated 10⁄100 LAN; Intel PRO⁄Wireless 802.11a⁄b⁄g
    Modem - High speed 56K modem
    Sound - Altec Lansing speakers
    Card Reader – Integrated 5-in-1 digital memory reader slot
    USB Ports - 3 USB 2.0
    EXPRESS CARD SLOT - ExpressCard⁄54 slot (supports both 34 and 54 form factors)
    IEEE1394 PORT - IEEE 1394
    INFRA-RED PORT – Consumer IR
    BLUE TOOTH - Bluetooth
    SOFTWARE – Windows Vista Home Premium

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  6. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

on the subject of attractive HP/compaq notebooks:

[​IMG]

thats one i got for $580 or something on ebay fully boxed and in brand new condition, and im using it atm till i scrape the final bits for my new quad core machine :)

ive been looking for a dv2000 actually, may i ask how much you paid for that one on ebay reanimator?

7. reanimator

reanimator Member

I paid $950, so definitely appropriate for this thread title. But that said, i think i would still pay the RRP unit because it is a quality built machine. One thing it lacks in comparison to the dell and other core 2 duo offerings is the FSB is only 533mhz....

Still fitting enough as a multimedia machine

Your notebook looks suprisingly similar in layout to mine, except has a more gunmetal finish. The turion's arent such slouches in the performance department neither.

8. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

yeah as awesome as this little lappy is, id much prefer the dv2000 (from a looks and performance perspective, our laptops share the same shell effectively but yours has the cool imprint glossy design and the intel processor/better graphics...and the turion is nice for sure, but i woudnt be buying a performance notebook with an AMD processor in it - the turion is really relegated to the budget line unfortunately).

ah well, a core duo version went for $750 or something on ebay tonight...woulda been nice but i'll hang out for a c2d version :p

9. reanimator

reanimator Member

Yeah i had a turion compaq notebook before, wasnt too bad beat the pants off the sempron/celeron based laptops, but pale quite badly in comparison to the intel core duo's.

Definitely agree the dv series notebooks are very classy looking units, but they are pretty prone to fingerprints and are dust magnets, think the sonata finish. LOL

Id be patient if i were you theres lots of bargains to be had on ebay, im glad i held off alittle while as i was set on getting that 4310/5310, acer aspire currently on special, but just that little bit extra really went a long way

10. Witch

Witch Member

Sanjay can I ask you to run this benchmark on a couple of your computers? Specifically, a C2D and a Turion X2 of approximately the same clock speed (if you have them - I'm assuming that this opportunity will arise, since you seem to have a revolving door of laptop acquisition :D )

11. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

From what I understand, Turion x2's are about equal to core duo's, but C2D kills 'em.

12. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

core duo is still faster than the turion x2, fact of the matter is however that the difference between the turion and turion x2 are minimal bar the extra core - in most situations im told its better to have the 2ghz single core than the 1.6ghz dual core...AMD clearly werent terribly smart when shoving another core on the end of their aging mobile processor a couple years ago.

13. qcfpunch

qcfpunch Member

I just went to Big W and they've got a Lenovo laptop for $798. Looking at the catalogue, it has 2 years warranty, 80gb hard drive, Vista Basic, and 1gb ram. No idea on what processor exactly, but I can only assume that it's a celeron. Offer ends on Wednesday, 5th of September.

14. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

tis the same as what pluscorp is offering for $749, although i guess the 1gb ram instead of 512mb and the extra year's warranty is worth it for an extra $50 :)

that said for $850 you can get the dual core satellite pro A120...

15. salmir

salmir Member

if anyone is intrested my brother is selling a AS NEW Asus F3JP. its the more expensive model with 120gb hdd, windows vista business, 15.4" gloss and has 256mb dedicated ati x1700. all for $1150, almost under 1k:lol: :D :lol:

..it costs $1697 at MSY at the moment. just PM your email and ill get him to email you back with pics :thumbup: i can vouch for fact its mint and only 3 weeks old.

16. Austechnology

Austechnology Member

Hi all,
    Feel free to try and bargain with me as i am always coming up with great deals. Plus if you like a lappy that I don’t have just pop me a quick email and I’ll see if I can get it in and let you know the best price I can do it for.
    Thanks for your time
    AusTechnology

17. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

ooh, expect some emails from me then as i scour your site :lol:

18. seb

seb Member

The HP 6720S for $852 looks great!

19. roca

roca Member

my gf's mum is in the market for a laptop
    just looked on the sponsors thread with the toshiba pro a120 $830.50
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=606049

and then found this one from umart for $788

http://umart.net/au/product_info.php?cPath=162_345&products_id=111586

anyone bought from U-mart before? since austech deal finishes tomorrow? and i don't think my gf's has made her mind up just yet.

what do u guys think for $800 - $1,000. is this one from megapc the best deal?
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=585119

20. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

only a celeron :(

dick smith is doing an online deal atm - the A200 with core duo processor for $798 or something (its on their homepage). great deal!

roca - i do not think that megaPC deal is very good value at all; no OS and really shite graphics as well as being made by a company that doesnt have the rep or backing of the big leagues.