Laptops for under a grand

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by sanjay, Mar 20, 2007.

1. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

just a couple of screws on my v3000.

but beware, the faceplates wont match, it'll look ugly and if youre really unlucky it wont even close properly. and the chances of you clipping the new faceplate onto the old burner are next to zilch.

2. kingyubbo

kingyubbo Member

Whats with the new name Sanjay?

A idea would be to get rid of the faceplate and just use the tray, or modify the plate.

3. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

if you google for my username with a conveniently placed space seperating my first and last names you learn alot more about me than i would really like anonymous people online to know.

hence the change. :)

4. Matt P

Matt P Member

sanjay: noone would have thought of that till you just suggested it, now you've got 40,000 people googling your name :lol:

expecting a dual core anything with dedicated graphics is far far far too optimistic. Heck, getting anything other than a celeron for that money is darn good

5. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

I did it ages ago, found some nice photos and high school results. I'm not a stalker or anything.... :wired:

6. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

people have found various avenues to contact me outside this forum (which is the only forum online in which i used my fullname as a username, everywhere else im just sanjay) in ways id rather they didnt; if new people who sign up dont know my full name, it can only be a good thing for me.

on that note, if everyone who has me in their sig as a good trader could change it thatd be much appreciated :p

back on topic, the acer travelmate deal that austechnology has on for $840 or so is very good in my opinion; core solo which is basically a better pentium-m gives you speedstep and power saving options as well as having the same amount of cache as your core duos (and of course the easy upgrade path in the future to a core duo). its also a 14 inch notebooks and im a firm believer that for under $1000, smaller is better :)

7. HellsAngel

HellsAngel Member

I just had to do it to see if its true :D :lol: :D

8. Witch

Witch Member

Speaking of which, you might want to change that directory name in your own sig; where it says "Click here for full list" the referred url still has your surname.

9. kingyubbo

kingyubbo Member

Should learn to not post your stuff on the net then :)

10. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

for the record, i rarely post things about myself, it was always my school/uni/council posting things with my name in it.

And you could say i have learned not to post information about myself online, the result of which is my name change.

can we get back on topic? thanks :)

11. ChadNick

ChadNick Member

Ouch, 40/45 in the IB sanjay, thats pretty damn hawt.

I only got 38 :'(

12. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

lol, looks like my efforts in attaining anonymity were a waste of time

(thats just an example of the kind of info you can get about me from my name)

13. mikeyyy

mikeyyy Member

For people using the Acer Aspire 4310, has anyone else had this problem? When hibernating fails under xpp, the power button remains flashing orange, and then once I turn the computer off... I cannot turn it back on again until I disconnect all power sources.

The first time this happened I was panicing but when it happened again just then I figured it out much faster.

So if it's not just mine, do NOT shut down when the power button is flashing orange. :p Go into standby first and then come out of it, then shutdown and things will work fine.

14. zfind

zfind Member

My 4310 is using the Vista basic it came with (albeit with a restore after I tried to wipe the recovery partition). I had a slightly similar problem in that I went to shut the computer down. As it was doing so, I closed the lid and it must've tried to go into sleep mode too. Opening the lid, it the Vista BSOD, relating to a video driver error. Reboot fixed it but was quite weird.

15. kix

kix Member

16. dajackal

dajackal Member

Hi All,

Thinking of getting the C710TU for $674 from DSE.

I was trying out an Acer with similar specs and it took something like 30 seconds to load Word 2007 :sick:

The 512MB RAM appears to be the bottleneck here. Any thoughts on this one?

If so, I would want to load on WinXP as it would be less resource intensive. From HP's website, I could only see the drivers for Vista, but nothing for WinXP.

Any ideas?

Link to Brochure Page

17. roughcactus

roughcactus Member

I just picked up a Toshiba M200/GOO from Harvey Norman...so far it's pretty good Pentium Dual Core 1.8ghz, 120 Gig HDD, 512 meg, DVD Burner, Wireless, Bluetooth, Vista basic..I have upgraded it 2gig of ram which makes a massive difference. At the moment I have it dual booting with XP Pro and it's working great. I picked it up for only $848 plus there is a $100 cashback so it comes in at only $748.

Here is a link

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/46fb0dd404d7e2222741c0a87f9c070d/Product/View/XC4163

Edit:...Down to $839 now:shock:

18. dajackal

dajackal Member

Hi there,

Nice find! Do you have any photos handy? Can you check whether there's a high pitch buzzing sound coming from the CPU area? I'm returning my brand new DELL because of this reason.

A few other questions if you don't mind :)
    Did you upgrade the ram yourself?
    Where did you locate the drivers to support XP Pro?
    Can Vista be removed completely?
    Any issues with running XP Pro? i.e. do all devices work and resuming from standby, hibernation, etc?
    Can it run any games?
    What's the build quality like?
    Is it quiet?

Thanks!

J

19. roughcactus

roughcactus Member

I'll try to answer all the qustions the best I can:D

I made a recovery disc using the supplied software just in case then I went here http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp and followed the tute...I'm a bit of a dual boot noob but got it done with no issues whatsoever

The ram upgrade was a piece of piss...remove one screw on the bottom of the laptop and remove a plastic cover to access the ram slots...remove the single 512 stick and replace with single 2gig stick...job done (lappy will only take up to 2gig...I tried it with my 512 in it too and it would not boot)

The drivers were a fair bitch to find...Toshiba in their wisdom do not provide any drivers for this particular laptop for win xp...it ships with Vista so thats all they have on their site...through Google and using some drivers for other Toshiba laptops similar to mine that I downloaded from Toshiba's site i have been able to get basically everything going bar the Buttons on the top below the screen...I have wireless, bleutooth, usb, card reader, webcam, Lan, track pad etc all working. Hibernate and Standby seems to work fine

I guess you could remove Vista completely but I didn't want to do that just incase I had dramas finding drivers...just Ghost the drive first if you do.

I have no idea if it runs games to be honest, I haven't even tried after all it's a sub $1000 lappy so it's not what you buy it for.

The only thing I could maybe pick with the build quality is the keyboard which doesn't seem too robust...I am however comparing to a Lenovo laptop at work thats worth around $1900 more...so you would hope it would be built better. As for being quiet I find it to be almost silent.

No photo's handy at the moment but if I get time I will upload some later

Hope this helps:)

Here are some pictures....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  20. dajackal

dajackal Member

hi roughcactus,

thank you so much for your recent post. i have just purchased the toshiba at dse for a bargain price of $799 + $100 cashback + 512mb free ram upgrade.

i am typing to you now on my new toshiba :)

it's a great laptop!!! so much better than the DELL that i'm having returned. The HDD is a little noisy but it's nothing like that whining sound coming out of the DELL that would give me headaches after 5 mins of use.

once again thanks!!

heads up all - this laptop is a great deal!