Large format printing requests (inc. Print Calibration) - IceMagic Edition

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by theicemagic, Apr 17, 2019.

1. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Previously Renza (OCAU member) was offering large format printing for OCAU photographers. Unfortunately he is no longer able to offer this service, and I've stepped in to offer it as an option for people.

This is the original thread for those interested:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/large-format-printing-requests.1167837/

Unfortunately I can't offer the same pricing Renza is offering, but I feel I'm being competitive with office works, for significantly better quality and handling (read: Fine Art).

The Printer is a Canon IPF9400 and is able to print up to 60" (~1.5m wide on the short edge). Generally I have access to the full range of Moab and Ilford papers, but select the few I prefer for one reason or another. All calibration in handled in house from start to finish (including Print calibration), so nothing goes out unless I feel it represent what's on screen.
    I print professionally from my business (Vernissage, at 509 High Street, Prahran VIC) which is an art gallery. Feel free to come in person to request things if you like. I'll also ship interstate if needed.

Prices are as follows (The OCAU rate is 25% discount to my normal rates).

Moab Somerset Museum Rag (matte) (310gsm)
    Similar look and luster to Ilford Prestige Smooth Cotton Rag, but nicer texture IMHO. This is my go to paper. It's cheaper to use Ilford, but I prefer the finish of this one.
    24" (61cm wide) - $64.50 per m
    44" (118cm wide) - $105.75 per m
    60" (152cm wide) - $159.75 per m

Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth Cotton Rag (matte) (280gsm)
    At the moment, it's only available up to 44" wide, though will be coming in 60" rolls in the future. It's similar to the Somerset above, but the tooth is slightly different, giving it a subtly rougher feel, especially when signing prints.
    24" (61cm wide) - $55.50 per m
    44" (118cm wide) - $98.25 per m

Ilford Galerie Gold Fiber Gloss (satin) (300 gsm)
    Though it says Gloss, it's more a satin than anything. It has a really good gamut, but as with all Ilford papers, it's only up to 44" wide at the moment. I'm still looking for a good 60" option.
    24" (61cm wide) - $55.50 per m
    44" (118cm wide) - $97.50 per m

Sihl Masterclass Canvas (Matte)
    The only canvas I print on, but I'm not limited to it. I only have it in a 60" roll, so it'll be taken from that.
    60" (152cm wide) - $151.50 per m

More papers will be added to this list as time goes by.

Other print related services:
    If you have a printer, you know how difficult it is to find a well performing ICC profile. I calibrate using the i1isis charter reader and am offering to help others with their calibrations. I'm charging $75 per calibration, which is easily half price from what I've found for most people. Turn around is usually 24-48 hours from receiving your target chart.

Finally, as a note to moderators, I'm not trying to step on sponsors toes here, and it may be necessary for me to become a sponsor to offer these services. If that's the case I'll do so. I don't wish to offer anything other than fine art printing and profile calibratinos for printers (if others have inkjet printers etc).

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  2. humanrace

humanrace Member

I had some prints done on Moab Somerset and they look amazing. Im not an expert on printing but it seemed to have a really wide colour gamut compared to other large format prints I've seen - I normally use RGB digital using their lustre/glossy/canson fine art papers and the Moab Somerset paper is MUCH nicer.

theicemagic likes this.
  3. jars121

jars121 Member

Great to see you offering this service theicemagic, I look forward to getting in touch in the future.

theicemagic likes this.