1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Large format printing requests

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Renza, Jun 14, 2015.

1. 13atman

13atman Member

did you ever manage to move it over :(?

2. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Not sure if appropriate... but I'm happy to offer prints on my IPF9400. Up to 1.5m wide... Length is as long as a roll is.
    I'll upload a price list if anybody is interested for OCAU people. I sort of do it privately, and am located in Melbourne, but happy to post.

13atman, clonex, MrSnuffy and 2 others like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Renza

Renza Member

Unfortunately not yet, I realistically can't afford a place large enough in Melbourne to be able to house the damn thing!

theicemagic go ahead and take over! Happy to update the OP too

4. sold

sold Member

I'd be interested if you do this :)

5. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Okay. :) I’ll put up a price list from work tomorrow. I’ll also check that I’m not stepping on sponsor toes too.

6. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Hi Everybody who's shown interest. I can't unfortunately match the prices Renza was offering, but will give an idea of costs. These are for OCAU only, and not my 'commercial' rates. I must state though this is a GST inclusive price as it's through my business (Gallery). If this does cause a problem for any OCAU sponsors, I'll cease offering the service, but fine art printing is a very different beast to commercial scale printing so it shouldn't be a great problem.
    These prices are really slashed for my business prices, and they really don't have room to budge, there isn't much headroom there.

Product:
    Moab Somerset Museum Rag (310gsm) - Similar look and luster to Ilford Prestige Smooth Cotton Rag, but nicer texture IMHO. This is my go to paper. It's cheaper to use Ilford, but I prefer the finish of this one. My ICC is spot on too.
    24" (61cm wide) - $64.50 per m
    44" (118cm wide) - $105.75 per m
    60" (152cm wide) - $159.75 per m

Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth Cotton Rag (matte) (280gsm) - I'm not happy with this profile but I have it in stock, and will have the calibration redone soon. At the moment, it's only available up to 44" wide, though will be coming in 60" rolls in the future.
    24" (61cm wide) - $55.50 per m
    44" (118cm wide) - $98.25 per m

Ilford Galerie Gold Fiber Gloss - Though it says Gloss, it's more a satin than anything. It has a really good gamut, but as with all Ilford papers, it's only up to 44" wide at the moment. I'm still looking for a good 60" option.
    24" (61cm wide) - $55.50 per m
    44" (118cm wide) - $97.50 per m

Sihl Masterclass Canvas - The only canvas I print on, but I'm not limited to it. I only have it in a 60" roll, so it'll be taken from that.
    60" (152cm wide) - $151.50 per m

Packaging & Postage: I'm happy to post to anywhere in Australia, but will be additional. I can supply larger than normal diameter postage tubes too. At the moment, there's usually a one week wait between when you send to me to when I can finalise the print as I'm waiting on new postage tubes from my supplier.
    I'd need a profiled JPEG as a minimum or preferably a flat PSD or ZIP compressed TIFF to print. You can PM me here though it may take a day or two for me to notice. I also consider it a very hands on experience, and invite photographers to come into the gallery and talk about what you want to achieve, and how I can best achieve it for you... this may not be possible if you're not in Melbourne though.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    clonex likes this.
  7. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Might pull my finger out and try to accomplish my initial request (movie posters on fabric to mount in my home theatre): https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/17555966/
    Is there a specific DPI I should be aiming for to get an A1-ish size print done up?

8. humanrace

humanrace Member

Thanks for posting this :D

Where is your gallery and when are your open hours? say the print is to be 20" tall - does your machine cut it too? Or will we need to add lines to the image to cut our self? Do you happen to offer a service to mount onto foamcore too?

9. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

So briefly looking at the link you posted (in the original thread)... they appear to have printed onto cotton, where the softer and more open weave will be more acoustically sound deadening than the typical printing canvas. I can get a roll of Jacquard Cotton in 17" wide, 24" wide and 44" wide at costs through one of my suppliers. I could do it, but it's sort of a special item, and calibration would need to be done for it... That said, it'll be cheaper than papers... I can probably do it for about $33 a m for a 24" roll. Though can do a discount on that if you're getting a bit done.

As for DPI... 150 DPI to make a nice banner type print, that you'll look at no closer than a few feet away. Cotton should be a little forgiving too. You could probably get it down to 75 DPI without too much loss on cotton as well.

We're located at 509 High Street, Prahran (VIC), opening hours are 11AM-5PM Wednesday - Sunday, with Monday and Tuesday by appointment... It's called Studio B Gallery.
    The printer does have a guillotine that will cut it off after the print (usually with a small margin. My suggestion is to include a border in the file for printing, or at least specify how much blank you want around it. It's really popular these days to emboss a logo on a fine art print, and mat-board is not so popular either. So it's important to keep in mind how you want it framed.

If it's a 20" on the longest edge for example, it'd fit into the width of a 24" roll of paper, and you'd be charged for printing on the 24" roll, and only the part your print has used. Usually centre print it and leave the off cuts on for you to remove as needed (or by the framers). It's also good for handling, as cotton rag is pretty fragile if mishandled, and picks up dirt really easily.

As for mat-board, no, we don't do that here I'm afraid. Stocking mat-board for a 60" print would take up more room out the back than we can dedicate to it. The printer already takes up the entire width of my office... That said, there are two framing places very close by (2 mins walk) that can do it in house.

10. humanrace

humanrace Member

Interesting. Ive just been printing on standard matt or gloss photo paper and have been attaching it to self adhesive foamcore to put into timber frames I make myself. I dont actually use matt board and just leave a white border. Seeing as the paper is fragile, is it normal for framers to stick it to foam core first before putting it into a frame? Or is just put put together like a sandwich without sticking the actual print to the foam.

(reason I've been attaching it to foamcore is so that the print perfectly flat without waveiness/air pockets)

11. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Thanks mate. I'll crunch some numbers and be in touch (once I can source some images :Paranoid:)

12. quickling

quickling Member

Thanks for offering this. Just getting some pictures ready to send your way. Should I send them at the native resolution, or resize to 300 dpi, or 150 dpi?

13. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

If the originals are higher resolution, I’d recommend staying at the higher res and leave the up/down scaling to me. However if they are below the 150dpi res natively, and you’re savvy with upscaling, I’d recommend doing it yourself... It’ll help ensure the result is closer to what you expect. :)