[WORKLOG] Large volume W/C build

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Smokeyr67, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Smokeyr67

Smokeyr67 New Member

Hi guys,

I'm in the planning phase of building a new gaming rig mainly for simming (Xplane and Iracing), it's going to take a while because I want to make it my neatest build ever so I'll be buying components, installing them, measuring cable runs and ordering custom cables to suit. I'll be using the same sort of method for all the water cooling gear.

Anyhow, these are the rough specs that I'm looking at;
    Case : Thermaltake x9
    Mobo : Z370 (model TBA)
    CPU : i7 8700K (depending on reviews re: O/clocking)
    RAM : 32 GB PC 3200 (2 x 16 GB prefered)
    GPU : Single 1080 Ti
    Storage : 1TB M2 SSD (Samsung 960 pro)
    2 TB SSHD
    PSU : Seasonic 1050 watt (from my old system)

I want to water cool the CPU, GPU and RAM using as many rads and reservoirs as possible - I want gallons of coolant in there :) It'll be my first build using hard tube so thats another thing that'll slow me down, but as long as I have it built by around xmas I'll be happy.

Photo's will come as soon as I get my grubby little hands on some hardware,

Shane

2. OP
    OP
    Smokeyr67

Smokeyr67 New Member

Well,

I've ordered a fair chunk of the hardware (case, mobo, gpu, ram, SSD, SSHD) from Umart, most of it is back ordered so it's anybodies guess as to when it's going to arrive. I had an 8700K in my cart, ready to buy, but I decided to add some monitpors to my order and by the time I'd done that the CPU was sold out :upset:

I need a bit of advice regarding the water cooling kit - specifically where to buy it? I'd prefer to buy everything I can in Aus, but every second part I want seems to either be sold out or back ordered at my usual haunts (PCGC and Umart)

Shane

3. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Try PLE and eBay too mate :thumbup:

There's a top bloke on eBay by the name of Hugh who's excellent for good-quality Barrow fittings (and he's branching into reservoirs and pump tops now, too).

4. Gmk2

Gmk2 Member

My experience - there is a pretty poor range of watercooling components in Aus. I had to order from overseas for some parts that had no local supplier. For local items I bought a few parts from PC Case Gear (as cheap as anywhere and I could pickup). If you do order from overseas spend a day or two double and triple checking your list to avoid follow up orders - the shipping for most places is excessive for small orders.

Local components for me: Pump, radiators, fans, gpu block, res
    Overseas components: Fittings, hardline pipe, cpu block, sensors, mandrel kit (noone in aus seems to have these), many cables and fan expanders, filter, fill port....

5. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

All of my hardtube, fittings and res are from Hugh as recommended above on ebay http://stores.ebay.com.au/mydiycomau?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

EK CPU block is local. EK GPU block direct from EK (no problems going through them direct again). Current Rad was secondhand but otherwise was going to grab through Umart due to local.

6. kEv_

kEv_ Member

i too have bought watercooling bits and pieces from PLE, PCCG, Hugh, OCAU(2nd Hand) and direct from EK(probably most from here, as i had specific requirements), all were good experiences,
    and sometimes stuff even gets here faster from Slovenia than from Melb....:eek:

7. OP
    OP
    Smokeyr67

Smokeyr67 New Member

Thanks for the tips guys, I've started organising an order from EK - it's a pity our local guys cant seem to justifying stocking this sort of gear, I'd rather pay a few bucks extra and buy locally .

edit - this is going to be a long build, I've ordered all of the basics (apart from the cpu, and no one in Aus seems to have an 8700k, or will let me reserve one) and most of it's backordered - so much for shopping locally and picking up the stuff the same day :(

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    Smokeyr67

Smokeyr67 New Member

Finally managed to find an 8700k, now I just have to pick up my case and I can start the build :)