Laser Cutting Requests

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by oRiCLe, Apr 28, 2015.

1. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

This thread is for posting of requests for laser cutting work. If you've got you can help out fellow members with or or would like something cut...here could be the place to find it!

There is a thread already for 3D printing requests, and I thought it might be good to offer laser cutting as a service also. Maybe someone could make one for routing also?!

Hopefully those on the forum that own or have access to a laser cutter will be able to respond to the request and give an idea of cost and whether they can take on the job.

So if anyone has equipment and happy to help out like the 3D thread, post away! :)

---

I have a 50W Co2 laser cutter in S/W Sydney, 500x300mm cut area, happily cuts up-to about 6-7mm, can do MDF, plywood (can be a bit iffy with the glue in the ply making cuts trickier), acrylics, cardboard etc. Engraving also possible.

Happy to cut work provided in vectors/dxf/svg etc, would work on used space of the bed rounded to 1/2 or 1/4 increments etc of material also depending on the material and cost etc (or you can send/drop off material)

I think a fair method would work on cost of material (Bunnings for wood) plus postage (or pickup) and say $20 per bed size for cutting, similar concept to the price-per-gram for the 3D printing thread.

I currently have 3mm and 6mm MDF sheets and 7mm plywood and a few examples of things i've made/making:

[​IMG]

2. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Sounds interesting, so you can etch stuff into perspex???
    ill send you a pm in the next couple of days;)

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Is cutting and engraving things like perspex GPU backplates a possibility?

Thats something I would definitely be interested in.

4. OP
    OP
    oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

yeah can definitely engrave, I think I have some offcuts of acrylic sheet floating around so will try and post a sample tomorrow if i get a chance...

5. pippin88

pippin88 Member

I think pricing wise you'd be best on material + time. Most commercial mobs do it by cut distance (which essentially equals machine time), do you do it that way if you can easily work out the cut distance.

6. OP
    OP
    oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

sorry for the delay, been a bit flat out with work, I couldn't find where I have packed away the piece of acrylic, however here is example of engraving/cutting I have just done on Vinyl...you get the idea :p

[​IMG]

7. motas

motas Member

Can you or anyone else do aluminium?
    Looking to get some small pieces done in 0.5-1mm thick (less than A4 size)
    And some large parts out of 6-8mm (less than 2m x 1.5m)

Cheers.

8. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

2m x 1.5m ? thats pretty big... you might want to go to a commercial joint for that

If you are just cutting alu you may want to go down the path or routing rather than laser, better finish and usually cheaper

9. motas

motas Member

I have a commercial laser cutter and router in mind they just charge a lot for one offs. Either laser or routing will work if anyone here can help out.

10. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

11. TheSpiceIsLife

TheSpiceIsLife New Member

I operate a 4kW fibre laser.

We can cut up to 16mm thick mild steel, 10mm stainless, 6mm aluminium right down to paper thin metal, area is 3000x1500mm. This machine will etch outlines only, we're not setup to do shaded etching.

I'm happy to do one offs and freight to you, we're in Launceston, Tasmania. Shoot me a PM with a drawing or dxf / dwg file and we can come up with a price that works.

Here's an ant I cut earlier today from 12mm steel

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  12. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Member

I'm posting here to remind myself where to come if I need anything done once-off :thumbup:

13. Striped

Striped Member

Great thread .. will be back.

14. TheSpiceIsLife

TheSpiceIsLife New Member

Does anyone know any software that is good at generating text on path, other than Adobe Illustrator, that can save as dwg or dxf? Last time I tried AutoCAD (~6 months ago) it wasn't good at this, and DraftSight can't do it either although I'm running an old version for Windows XP, that will change next week when my work PC is upgraded to Windows 7 and I can run DraftSight 2015.

Anyone want an overclockers.com.au sign from 8mm mild steel?

[​IMG]

15. MoonShadow

MoonShadow Member

I'm another member that works at a laser cutting company -- based in Dandenong.

We have a $100 minimum charge.

Mild steel up to 20mm, stainless up to 16mm, and aluminum up to 12mm. 3x1.5m sheets.

Acrylic/MDF/whatever up to 30mmish.

We also offer folding up to 3 metres long, and have a Yag laser for filled marking up to 180x180mm.

16. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

Moon what happens to the material if you go thicker?

17. MoonShadow

MoonShadow Member

I don't know enough about the technical side to give an answer, I'd just be making something up.

An easy way to screw up your cutting is to move too slowly, or too quickly. I imagine the speed at which you need to move through the material becomes too high for the available amount of power you have for heating the material.

The slower you move, the worse the edge quality - a lot more striations up to the point it will look like a hand held oxy cut. The molten material will dwell at an exit.

If you are cutting faster you can get closer to what looks like a mirror finish on the edge. The problem here is you are generally on the verge of cutting too fast, and once that happens you will have incomplete cuts and dross on the back of the part.

18. arcanic_soul

arcanic_soul Member

Is that by chance a Bystronic brake press? :lol:

19. MoonShadow

MoonShadow Member

I was hoping there were enough laser cutters in Dandenong that no one would be able to work out the company. Although there are probably others with bystronic brake presses.

Although, with you being in Adelaide...

20. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015