1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Laser Cutting Requests

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by oRiCLe, Apr 28, 2015.

1. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Right, just google distro/distribution plate for an example.

2. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Yes but to be fair there is a pretty wide range of complexity and several different methods of construction (some for CNC and some for laser).

As far as your question goes. There as a guy on OCAU that had the front of his Case CNCed by a professional . I seem to think it was not that expensive and turned out well . I just can't remember if it was in Modding or Hobby sub forum.

Edit it was argent

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/cnc-recommendations-in-sa.1270130/#post-18297071

or

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...of-custom-distro-plate.1277040/#post-18535064

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  3. 426

426 Member

Going to give it another go here.
    Anyone able to cut/machine the following in 10mm aluminium (even mild steel is OK?) (I have the file in svg)

Click to view full size!

Dimensions of each of the pieces are 72x130 (x10)mm

4. ericks

ericks Member

Did you get someone to make this for you?

5. 426

426 Member

Not yet. Didn't get round to it, but still want to get it done.

6. akashra

akashra Member

Hi all,

After >18 months of talking about doing it, I finally got around to writing a tool which will generate an SVG file for a part which I want to get laser-cut to try to build a device.

The SVG file below will give you the file I want to cut - let me explain what I need to figure out.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljnm0amku43tx7l/guitar-top.svg?dl=0

The red lines are what would need to be laser cut, so you're left with a large sheet of aluminium, preferably 3mm thick. The corner radius are therefore based on this.
    There are then blue and green lines on this file - this is where I need some advice. Blue lines are the edges of each 90 degree bend. Yellow lines are the center of the radius of the bend. Bends always assume a radius the width of the sheet metal I'm working with here. I've put the yellow lines so they would mark the center of where you would put a brake to bend the pieces.

When you bend this piece, you should end up with a piece that looks kinda like a tabletop - the short legs on the end are where I can mount this to some solid beams.

However I don't know how a company would actually want to receive the files or specs to specify this. So:

1. What do I need to alter in this file to make it so I can give it to someone who does laser cutting/sheet metal work and
    2. Is anyone able to cut this on paper or cardboard just to check that it comes out okay?

7. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Is it 1:1 scale? I think it will distort when you bend those gaps. I reckon you would want to make the strips at the top and bottom thicker at a minimum, but whoever does the work should know more than I.

If they want the work, any place with a laser cutter and brake press should have enough skill to draw this up for their machines as long as you confirm all dimensions.

8. akashra

akashra Member

The scale of the file I've attached is 1 unit per 0.1mm. I can change the settings to specify it at higher resolutions if needed (eg I came across one who wanted it at 0.001mm resolution, but yes, the attached SVG is to scale. Perhaps the one possible area I could see being an issue is the two strips on each edge.

If it's going to distort on the bends then I'll need to get some details of how to rectify that.

There is another way I could also implement this - to only have the cuts occur at intervals that are a multiple of 21, 28 and 35 - as I can never see a use for a 14mm cut.

9. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

I think you're best off modifying that SVG and clearly specifying in the image all the relevant dimensions - strip thickness, the gap between strips, measurements between bends, the overall length and width. Send that off to someone with as much description as possible and see what they say. They will probably ask for a DXF, AI or PDF as SVG isn't very common for this kind of work.

10. uncle_jim

uncle_jim Member

A bit of a shot in the dark on this, but is anyone able to laser cut (or have a recommendation for one in Melbourne) a keyboard switch plate in 1.5mm aluminium? Dimensions approximately 330x90. The places I've contated so far aren't taking work.

11. m3k

m3k Member

hey jim let me know if u find somebody and wana do a group buy :p

pinchies likes this.
  12. kot0005

kot0005 Member

anyone able to cut acrylic ? i have svg/pdf its 450x380mm roughly. I need it in matte white acrylic

13. oculi

oculi Member

Ctech in Tullamarine are OK and fairly cheap.

uncle_jim likes this.
  14. uncle_jim

uncle_jim Member

Cheers, I'll give them a look.

15. oculi

oculi Member

not sure what edge finish you are expecting, laser might be fine but look in to it if you haven't had it lasercut before.

16. RaZ

RaZ Member

After scanning through this I figured I would add my details; We have 30w and 50w fiber lasers + a little CO2 laser; based in Brissy;
    We make a lot of leather stamps and do marking \ light and deep engraving on pretty much all metals and marking of about 90% of plastics. We can also do cuts outs for metal.

www.future3dprints.com.au \ future3dprints@gmail.com should you want \ need anything.

mad_mic3, uncle_jim and pinchies like this.
  17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Nice. Do you have access to plasma or water jet cutter? I need some 23mm titanium sheets cut.

RaZ likes this.
  18. RaZ

RaZ Member

HI Matthew,
    No we dont sorry - altho they are cool toys!! :)
    When you say 23mm sheets, are the sheets 23mm thick?

19. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yes

RaZ likes this.
  20. RaZ

RaZ Member

ah yeah - waterjet \ plasma - Bayswater area has a waterjet cutting service ;)