Laser Cutting Requests

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by oRiCLe, Apr 28, 2015.

1. nibennett

nibennett Member

----- Removed as had it printed through a store here since no replies.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  2. Mack.Attack

Mack.Attack Member

3. LayZ

LayZ Member

Anyone in VIC have a laser cutter that can cut acrylic? Doesn't need to be thick, it's for an aquarium fish tank lid.

Dimensions are roughly 400x300x4m

Happy to send dxf or whatever as required, I hacked the stock one up as we have wood sticking out of it but seems our newly adopted cat likes the aquarium water more than her own so I need to minimise where she can stick her head!

4. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

I think your measurements are not accurate... you either want 4mm thick or to crush your 4m fishtank.

Ive got access to a glowforge at work that can easily do 300x400x4mm

5. Soc

Soc Member

A glowforge? In Aus? Whaaaa?

6. LayZ

LayZ Member

Ha! I managed to sweet talk the uni workshop guys and now have access to the cutter for non-uni use :D Must have been the cat and MR2 pics...

DSTM (Dougie) and Matthew kane like this.
  7. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

yeah, Pro unit.... still waiting for the filter so we have to run it in the garage with the door open

kinda awesome having a workplace that is big on inventorship.... though the office space allocation seems to get smaller and smaller....

8. Soc

Soc Member

How's they get it? They aren't shipping to Aus. Did you get an intermediary to forward it?

9. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

yeah i think so, or we got it shipped to a partner company there to then onship it to us.... got organised before my time

10. Zangetsu.ssl

Zangetsu.ssl Member

Anyone here with a CNC router that can cut the following design? Material to be cut is 380 x 510 x 13mm HDPE.

cboard_hc.jpg

Have emailed few a places around Sydney but have not heard back. I suspect the job might be a bit small/easy for them? :confused:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  11. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Are you aware that it's not possible to get 90 degree internal corners with a router? Routers use a spinning tool, internal corners will always have a radius. If you need them to be 90 then you want laser cutting, not routing.

12. Zangetsu.ssl

Zangetsu.ssl Member

Yeah, I would need to know what the smallest radius the machine is capable of doing before I can draw in the proper corners. Only the small corners around the middle of the board on either side would need to have the smallest radius - the others wouldn't really matter too much.

Would 13mm be too thick to be cut using a laser? I thought normally they'd be used for thinner materials.

13. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

The thing is once you start going to a small radius the tools get weaker and really easy to snap, so you have to go slowly and do multiple passes. Plastic is also a bit of a pain in the arse to route cos it's brittle and prone to snapping chunks off.

An industrial laser cutter will cut thicker than that in steel, let alone plastic :)

14. Zangetsu.ssl

Zangetsu.ssl Member

I see. I guess I'll look for some laser cutting places then. Cheers!

15. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

"Cains Glass Services" Penrith, have laser cutting Dept. They do one-offs.
    Have done a couple of laser cuts for me.
    0247-315386.

16. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

3 things:
    1: HDPE is a pain with a router (also with a laser btw)
    2: internal corners (as mentioned above)
    3: really simple job that doesnt warrant cnc, print off a template on paper, doublesided tape onto the material (or draw it on) then use a jig saw or a bandsaw

pinchies likes this.
  17. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Why so thick?? Armour plate? LOL I file inside corners.

18. akashra

akashra Member

Hey all,

I'm looking at shopping around for places that can help me make something for a food-based project, but though I'd ask here first. You can buy commercial products for this - but they're anywhere from $800 to 3500, and I want a smaller unit.

I'm looking to make a device that will need maybe about 10 different pieces cut - but the main one is going to be a sheet of 3mm stainless steel that would be probably about 480mm x 280mm, with about 20 1mm long cuts in it.
    This would need to be laser cut as the spacing needs to be extremely precise.
    It'd be:
    4 L-shaped pieces to make a square frame; 2 opposite ends with precise laser-cut holes to run metal wire or strong PVC/fishing wire between; one piece with holes drilled to mount to a pivot.
    1 of the main 480x280-ish piece bent in 4 places to give it two wide (280mm) feet around 20mm long, raised about 100mm high, and the remaining length (what's that, about 240mm?) being a surface things are placed on.
    2 pieces for base of sturdy stainless that the surface mounts on to those feet.
    2 pieces that mount on to that base and provide a pivot point for the frame.

Is there anyone around here I could maybe flick some specifics to to see if they can give me an idea of how much I might be looking at to complete this?

19. OP
    OP
    oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

3mm sheet of stainless with a laser would probably need a high 5 probably 6 figure fibre (or similar) laser for that or finding someone with one that can fit a one off into their schedule, i'd say you're probably not going to find what you're after on here as most hobby lasers are CO2 (so non-metal cutting)

I think it would be tough to find it affordably as a one-off also for someone with capable equipment :S you'd probably end up over the cost of the commercial ones as a one-off? If it is just long cuts in the square flat sheet you could probably find an engineering shop that could mill the holes sheet for you with a CNC mill and get the steel cut with a shear or from a metal supplier, would probably be more in the price range, or a 1 to 2-op process with a slot cutter and some cleanup on a 5-axis :D

let us know how you go sourcing the work or if someone one here can help you out :D

20. akashra

akashra Member

What about 6mm thick sheets of HDPE?

I could achieve the same effect for what I want to create by using about 40 HDPE pieces cut with the same template about 10mm x 30mm with a small lip on one end (see below)- and then using 1mm spacers between the pieces. An advantage to doing it this way could be that I could use a pedestal drill to precisely place a drill hole of two or three metal rods to pass through the array of upright plates, perfectly positioning them. You then end up with a flat surface on top - might have to just run a planer across them with the pins in place to make the surface perfectly level.

Anyone want to hazard a guess what cutting these might cost instead of doing it on metal?

The dimensions would therefore be:
    Top edge: 280mm, 20mm rise, to complete the top edge 20mm.
    Right edge: 120mm
    Bottom edge: 300mm
    Left edge: 100mm.

6mm depth.

Edit: Some quick research tells me that I can buy a 3000x1500mm sheet for $308 - which would be sufficient size to cut 44 per sheet (minus a few mm for the width of the laser). So it's really about the cost of the labour.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019