Laser Cutting Requests

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by oRiCLe, Apr 28, 2015.

1. m3k

m3k Member

yea ill do it man hit me up

2. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

If only you were in Perth :( . Been eyeing one up for ages.

3. kot0005

kot0005 Member

Its sold now :)

4. bliaker

bliaker Member

Hi there,

I'm working on an automated rotating platform using a stepper motor and an arduino and I'm trying to figure the best way to rotate it using gears. I have the arduino/stepper motor part of the equation sorted, but what I'm looking to do now is mount a large gear to the rotating platform and the stepper motor with a smaller gear to the mount.

Like this:
    https://geargenerator.com/#725,475,...,1,0,0,0,0,0,23,5.75,4,20,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,3,-47

I note that theres a 3D print request thread on here but I'm not sold that plastic is the best material for the gear and unsure how gunky the gears would come out. Would anyone on here be able to quote me on a CNC of some aluminium gears at 3mm or 4mm thickness? Looking at 110mm diametre for the gear so a 150mm sided square of material is all that would be needed. I can also provide a file for CNC from the above generator but it might be easier using your own workflow/gear plugin for whatever setup you use. A workflow I was looking at can be seen on youtube here

Not fussy on the ratio as I'll adjust to suit within the ardunio and speed isn't such an issue.

Recommendations are very welcome :) Thanks gang

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  5. ericks

ericks Member

Hi...i have made gears from acrylic, nylon and poly carbonate. Not sure how good aluminium would be. I can machine both plastics or aluminium:)

6. markgabriel

markgabriel Member

Are you capable of machining a Distro plate?

7. ericks

ericks Member

In Aluminium?

8. m3k

m3k Member

https://hackaday.com/2018/05/15/hawkeye-the-3d-printed-tourbillon-movement/

3d printed gunky gears ;)

also most older 3d printers rely on 3d printed gears to run :p

u dont want anyone printing it though- You need a decent printer and good self lubricating plastic if you want long use parts that are small.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  9. akashra

akashra Member

If I were to get/pay someone to laser-cut me some prototypes from 300gsm cardboard and design the files for it, what changes would I have to make to be able to take that design and give it to a commercial company to then cut that on say 0.5/0.8/1.0mm aluminium/stainless steel?

10. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Pretty much nothing depending on how accurate you need to be (eg, width of cut might differ). Most places will accept DXF, PDF, AI