Laser Cutting Requests

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by oRiCLe, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Reaper1983

Reaper1983 New Member

Done so you want payment when?

2. m3k

m3k Member

when you receive ur goods and are happy with them :) its only $15 haha

3. Reaper1983

Reaper1983 New Member

Great i can't wait to see the results

4. aretheyalltaken

aretheyalltaken New Member

Hi there,
    I need someone to burn some pretty intricate designs into green tape, for use as a resist in copper electroetching. I would want to do A4 sheets of it at a time if that's available. Sign vinyl could work too but I hear the green tape holds up better? Basically anything sticky that will last under water :) At first I'll probably just want 10 A4 sheets or so, but if it works out I'd like to get more. Obviously I am willing to pay for this service :)

Please could you let me know if any of you can do this with a laser? I've tried a vinyl cutter but all that weeding makes it difficult to do intricate designs - they are small like if you were to etch a newspaper font sized page of text. Burning with a laser seems like a better idea.
    Cheers

5. m3k

m3k Member

PVC electrical tape releases chlorine gas that damages the bearings but also makes u sick :( both vinyl and green tape are PVC so people dont really laser it. - sticky that last under water, hmm. ever think of just coating with paint then etching the paint away and then using acetone afterwards to take the acrylic paint off etc?

6. aretheyalltaken

Can't use paint because I need the image to be computer generated. I use seamless pattern svgs that are often very intricate, definately not reproducible by hand. I did not know that about electrical tape but it totally makes sense. Thanks for letting me know.

7. m3k

m3k Member

no i mean, you can paint the surface then etch the paint away

There is lasercut approved vinyl altenative i believe -

8. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

Looking for someone who could laser cut and\or cnc some profiles on 3mm aluminum sheet suitable for some pc case panels (ie no warp)?

9. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

3mm aluminium requires a fairly powerful laser, you'll need to find a local laser cutting business. Where are you located? Someone here may be able to cnc route it for you but that means no internal 90 angles.

10. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

I've had someone local try but because of the heat generated the material warps, it was suggested that I try waterjet. Could a cnc cut hexagonal profiles?

Edit: forgot to insert quotes.

11. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

CNC can cut pretty much any shape however the internal corners are going to be rounded (Radius of Cutter) so the smaller the hexagon the less detailed they will be.

Waterjet and Laser can only do 2D (for the most part, there are 4/5 Axis ones that can cut angles) and they are very good at it (Sharp corners, clean edges ect) , CNC can do 2D but machining time is longer, work holding ect are more complicated and detail is limited by the tooling, they can however to 3D.

12. aretheyalltaken

Sorry for the delay in responding. The surface is 5mm thick steel which would be expensive to ship and I don't know what the clearance is on a laser. A lasercut approved vinyl would be ideal. Is that not the green tape mentioned previously? I'm happy to do research just not sure what to stick into google. If you have any idea I'd love to know.

13. Matthew Panetta

Matthew Panetta New Member

14. m3k

m3k Member

i have 3mm ply? 2.8mm*

15. 426

426 Member

Morning.

I have prototyped this piece from wood and am happy enough with the outcome, other than it will never be finished how I'd like it (chrome).

I am wondering if this thing could get cut from either aluminium or mild steel (to be polished or chromed later).
    Pretty sure using a drill and file would be "possible" but doing it with wood was difficult enough as it was.
    Dimensions of the piece overall would be 130x72x10mm.
    I can provide a scale drawing, or attempt to put that drawing into dxf or similar with inkscape.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

There is a curvature to the top of the piece, but I can add that later with the belt sander if its simpler/cheaper to just put it into a flat plate to begin with. (pretty much how I did it with the wood piece).

thanks.

Edit: CNC would also be fine, the square internal edges dont have to necessarily be sharp, a radius is also OK.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  16. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

CNCing with Alu would be easy enough as long as the material was not really thick (for a Hobby CNC, a industrial one would do anything) but 10mm would be OK.

Hell even doing that shape with a drill and a jigsaw would not be too hard in Alu (its not much harder than some types of wood). If it was doing it by "hand" I would get drill bits/holes saws that closely match the internal radii that are required and then jigsaw the straight lines. 10mm would be a pain as most jigsaw have a hard time with Alu that thick (it can be a bit gummy).

17. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Can anyone here design and/or manufacture bespoke distro plates? And if they're too difficult to manufacture privately due to it potentially requiring larger commercial machinery, can someone point me in the right direction? I see Lasermade have previously been recommended but I'm not sure if they would also design one.

18. Soc

Soc Member

Do you have an example?

19. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

An example of what?

20. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I think he means of what you want machined.

My stab in the dark is like Bit tech's Stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/bittech1/videos

That is one of the reason I got my CNC, but I'm no where near bit tech level or good enough to do work for others.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Soc likes this.